Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What are your favorite "bad" ships?  (Read 4348 times)

Coaxy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What are your favorite "bad" ships?
« on: August 06, 2021, 07:41:57 PM »

I've always thought the Colossus MK2 sucked, but it's grown on me in .95

While it's nothing special (seeing as it is basically a drover or condor but with a worse ship system and no missile mounts), it's very available and the +100 strength it gives to raids can be pretty nice.

Does anyone else have "bad" ships that have a special place in their heart?

2_Wycked

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What are your favorite "bad" ships?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 09:49:44 PM »

The Enforcer definitely, awesome aesthetic and potential but just... "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" haha

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 10:17:59 PM »

Heh, I expected to see the Enforcer here! Last version is was pretty awful. I think this version its joined the ranks of the other combat destroyers as being good. Extremely tough, high missiles/DP, 'ok' guns make it a solid heavy destroyer for cheap DP and I use it all the way to endgame.

For me its the Vigilance. I know its bad, but every time I see it launch 6 salamanders and it flames out an enemy capital I giggle with evil glee. I think it would be a decent support ship if its hull wasn't so fragile. Another 1000 hull (doubling it!) and reducing its DP to 4 and it would be in a rather good spot for missile support. Heck, replace fast missile racks with the Autoforge and make it into a mini Gryphon!

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 04:56:21 AM »

Actually the Vigilance is pretty good for it's size.

My favorite bad ship is the Mule. A mule helped me quite alot through the beginning of my first Playthrough.

Coaxy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 07:36:38 AM »

The Enforcer definitely, awesome aesthetic and potential but just... "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" haha

100%

like, it has missiles and medium ballistics - throw SO on it or whatever... well, at least no one's going to complain lol

Space Dynamics

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 07:37:52 AM »

Buffalo MKII.

I've been in love ever since I ran across a derelict one named "Necromancer".

Badass!

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 08:58:45 AM »

Atlas mk II FOR LIFE.  It's slow, sluggish, heavy and somewhat fragile for its size but I will never relinquish the power of two accelerated mjolnirs.  Sure, you can outmaneuver it, sure you can probably burst it down, but GODS HELP YOUR PUNY, FRAGILE SOUL if you get caught in front of my Atlas II and my accelerator is up.  BWUMPBWUMP BWUMPBWUMP BWUMPBWUMP BWUMPBWUMP BWUMPBWUMP KABOOM.  What's that?  You brought fighters?  That's cute; I BROUGHT LOCUSTS.  Few ships can do exactly what it can do, though you must accept some heavy tradeoffs to do so; I find the challenge worthwhile, especially for the price.  Sure, a paragon can beat an atlas II...but can it beat THREE of them for the same or similar cost?   Heheheheheheh...

It's also a respectable logistics vessel on the side.  There's just so much to love; it's like captain Sysko said: "She's got flaws, but she's got teeth."

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 01:00:29 PM »

I used to love the Hound, but it has become a bit too obsolete quite some releases ago. It used to be a underdog that could still bite, in the right hands. Dodging around enemy projectiles while waiting for the opportunity to unload in the enemy's rear, a tactic that could defeat most frigates and many destroyers. That was before ship systems, phase ships and officers. Nowadays there are just too many dangers on the battlefield for a small unshielded ship to survive long enough to be useful. The Kite has taken over a bit of the Hound's old role, but it just hasn't the same aura of panache to it.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 04:55:17 PM »

I used to love the Hound, but it has become a bit too obsolete quite some releases ago. It used to be a underdog that could still bite, in the right hands. Dodging around enemy projectiles while waiting for the opportunity to unload in the enemy's rear, a tactic that could defeat most frigates and many destroyers. That was before ship systems, phase ships and officers. Nowadays there are just too many dangers on the battlefield for a small unshielded ship to survive long enough to be useful. The Kite has taken over a bit of the Hound's old role, but it just hasn't the same aura of panache to it.
I feel the same way for the Wolf.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 07:25:50 PM »

i jsut cant help myself with kites. theyre such a bad ship, basically every ship in the game has at least 2 missile mounts on top of having an actual armament, but for some reason i just cant help myself
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

TheLaughingDead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 07:27:36 PM »

Hmm, I think Alex mentioned that the Hound would be getting Damper Field as well as its standard Flare Launcher ship system, so I am excited to see if it will become maybe not amazing but at least competent in combat. They are pretty cheap (supply and deployment-wise) and provide cargo though, so no hard feelings either way.
The Kite probably isn't really considered that bad, but underused compared to the other frigates I think. I love filling some empty fleet slots with Kite(A) and slapping Atropos/Reapers, Expanded Missile Racks, and Reinforced Bulkheads, filling the rest of OP with cheap single weapon or Hardened Subsystems or whatever you can fit in, and then deploying them about halfway through a battle (when the DP starts tipping or a line ship or two goes down) so they can wreak havoc among the enemy. If you deploy them first then they rush ahead and die, but if you let the lines set up then they are actually relatively safe and will capitalize or create holes your larger (and more expensive) ships can take advantage of.

i jsut cant help myself with kites. theyre such a bad ship, basically every ship in the game has at least 2 missile mounts on top of having an actual armament, but for some reason i just cant help myself
"Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post." And this is what happens when I type too much  :P

Coaxy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 07:45:41 PM »

The Kite probably isn't really considered that bad, but underused compared to the other frigates I think. I love filling some empty fleet slots with Kite(A) and slapping Atropos/Reapers, Expanded Missile Racks, and Reinforced Bulkheads, filling the rest of OP with cheap single weapon or Hardened Subsystems or whatever you can fit in, and then deploying them about halfway through a battle (when the DP starts tipping or a line ship or two goes down) so they can wreak havoc among the enemy. If you deploy them first then they rush ahead and die, but if you let the lines set up then they are actually relatively safe and will capitalize or create holes your larger (and more expensive) ships can take advantage of.

it must be a good strategy, since AI kites always manage to sneak a cheeky reaper on me once or twice a playthrough lol

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2021, 08:41:22 PM »

Actually the Vigilance is pretty good for it's size.

My favorite bad ship is the Mule. A mule helped me quite alot through the beginning of my first Playthrough.

The Mule is honestly a pretty good ship in the early game, when you're just putting together your fleet and are taking on small enough engagements that one of your freighters being able to participate in combat is a relevant contribution. It doesn't scale well, since its modest combat stats make it a liability more than an asset in any fight larger than a couple of Destroyers on either side and you can afford to have dedicated freighters in addition to dedicated combat ships, but it's not designed for those kind of fleets.

I'd also put Kites in the pile of ships that are actually pretty good at what they're meant for, which is being tremendous little jerks in tiny early game engagements.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2021, 07:38:03 AM »

Again, Mule.
It's not the best at anything.
But it's big enough to carry a decent amount of cargo. It's tough and mobile enough to not be a complete liability in battle. It has enough weapons to to at least stall other ships.
And it has enough OP to multi-role fairly well on top of all that.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 08:46:53 AM »

Is the Mule considered a bad ship?
It always seemed an excellent early game choice to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3