Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What are your favorite "bad" ships?  (Read 4418 times)

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What are your favorite "bad" ships?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2021, 09:03:36 AM »

Venture.

It sucks when compared to most other proper cruisers.

But it slaps down on anything outside of it's weight class.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Coaxy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2021, 11:57:59 AM »

Venture.

It sucks when compared to most other proper cruisers.

But it slaps down on anything outside of it's weight class.

Can the venture really be bad if all you want to do is make missiles go brr though?

Like, sure, maybe it's not optimal to slap a load of reapers on it but sometimes you just want a wall of delete, y'know?

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2021, 12:33:33 PM »

i was going to say Mule but in no way, shape, or form is it a "bad" ship. It's very competent early and remains useful as a multi-role ship out on the frontier.

I have a soft-spot for the Gemini, in theory because it could be a very versatile ship but isn't. Like the Mule, it could be a nice multi-role ship but it just do anything quite well enough to justify its existence in my fleet. With fighters being "less than" versions past, the Gemini just doesn't bring anything truly meaningful to a fight. The Mule is at least a tough nut to crack and thanks to Maneuvering Jets, isn't a sitting duck.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2021, 12:38:57 PM »

The Mule is an extremely competent 'destroyer' for it's cost and utility.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »

The humble Mudskipper. It has 70 cargo capacity and 40 fuel capacity for the low upkeep cost of 2 sup/m, 1 fuel/ly, and a tiny skeleton crew of 5. As a starter logistics ship it's perfect; incredibly cheap in both initial and long term cost, has a moderate amount of everything, enough op for 2 logistics hullmods, and can later be used to house additional crew or marines.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 06:04:13 PM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2021, 06:56:34 PM »

I wouldn't call the Mudskipper bad, ha! It pretty much obsoletes all the other frigate cargo ships on top of being the best frigate crew carrier.

You want bad? Hermes, Mercury, Wayfarer, and Cerberus are bad. I have a soft spot for the Hermes, though - which is one of the reasons the Roider Union's Hermes conversion is their main frigate.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2021, 07:57:00 PM »

Shepherd. I'm a loot *** so early on I always grab a bunch of them, making sure that I have at least 1 Salvage Rig. They have fairly decent cargo capacity until I get dedicated cargo ships. I usually end up with like a dozen or more of them, gradually replacing them with more Salvage Rigs and dedicated cargo ships as my combat fleet gets bigger.

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2021, 10:07:55 PM »

There is nothing better than Mudskipper MK.II! Greatest ship in the game, bar none!

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2021, 02:13:34 AM »

i should mod the mudskipper's hullmod off so its usable...
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2021, 02:23:02 AM »

Half of this thread: People who think ships not primarily focused on combat are "bad". Can't believe some of the responses here lmao, Shepherd and Mule are like A tier ships for early game. Kudos to the brave soul who mentioned Atlas MkII, at least someone understood the OP's question.

I really don't use ships I consider bad but if I had to choose I'd say Prometheus MkII, it just has such good mounts and you can do so many builds with it. The only reason it's unusable is its burn speed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 02:25:05 AM by Grievous69 »
Please don't take me too seriously.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2021, 03:14:45 AM »

To be fair it IS hard to define what a bad ship really is.

Even within a single kind of ship even the less effective ones aren't all that bad really.

And if they are a favourite, are they even that bad?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2021, 03:49:50 AM »

And if they are a favourite, are they even that bad?
Depends on how much you like it to sacrifice optimization. You might as well call them guilty pleasure ships.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2021, 04:50:50 AM »

Sacrifice optimisation?!

I would never play a dakka dakka low tech fleet!  ;D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2021, 05:27:50 AM »

Shepherd is not a bad ship overall.  If anything, it is a bit munchkin for its size in non-combat roles.  It is mediocre as a normal combat ship (but good enough to auto-resolve fights with), but its campaign stats are great.  100 cargo plus 50 more from the hullmod that converts built-in bay for more cargo (150 total), and the hullmod that boosts salvage.

Shepherd is useful for the entire game, and my fleet almost always has at least one.  It is useful for the first few fights early, then it becomes a useful stat-stick and auto-resolve grunt for the rest of the game.

Mudskipper is cheap option for hauling more people.  I have used one occasionally.

Mule is not the best brawler, but it is a tank for its size.  It is kind of like an Enforcer with less guns and flux.  It was useful in the previous 0.9a releases, at least for those who rely on junk from pirates.  They did not seem as effective as before in this release, sort of like Paragon becoming more fragile now.

Gemini is bad because fighters are bad now.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2021, 11:54:44 AM »

Half of this thread: People who think ships not primarily focused on combat are "bad". Can't believe some of the responses here lmao, Shepherd and Mule are like A tier ships for early game. Kudos to the brave soul who mentioned Atlas MkII, at least someone understood the OP's question.

I really don't use ships I consider bad but if I had to choose I'd say Prometheus MkII, it just has such good mounts and you can do so many builds with it. The only reason it's unusable is its burn speed.

FOR.  LIFE.
Pages: 1 [2] 3