Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lost in Campaign Tutorial Combat  (Read 706 times)

umzug

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Lost in Campaign Tutorial Combat
« on: August 23, 2021, 01:41:48 PM »

Hello all,

I just started playing the game today and am trying to avoid spoilers for now, but I've run into a major issue (gameplay, not technical) that's keeping me from progressing.

I played through the main tutorial then started the campaign w/ tutorial. As first combat with the pirate approached, I was excited to unload on them with the skills I'd learned in the first tutorial. instead, I was confronted with an entirely different interface with entirely different controls. I can't tell what's going on and don't even know how to fire my weapons. After losing my ship twice I decided to come to this forum.

Can anyone offer or point me towards even a basic orientation in whatever the mode of combat is against the pirate ship? Why is it so different from the combat in the tutorial? Why is there no explanation, given that it's a tutorial?

Thanks in advance! Real excited to get into this game...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Lost in Campaign Tutorial Combat
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 03:23:14 PM »

Hi, welcome to the forum!

There are tutorials accessible from the main menu that covers the basics of combat. They should have the exact same control interface that you'll find in the campaign. If you find yourself in combat but thinking that its the wrong screen, try pressing 'tab'. This alternates between the piloting view where you control your own ships and the command view that lets you give orders.

umzug

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 04:09:03 PM »

Thanks, that did the trick!

I think in future versions it would be good to add an explanation about this. If you go from the tutorial right to the campaign, as I did, this will be your first time seeing the command view with no introduction at all.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 04:21:58 PM »

Glad it helped!

ltyd0619

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 05:55:12 AM »

Press "U" to autopilot. I personally autopilot in every combat and starsector is still great fun.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 09:51:42 AM »

Thanks, that did the trick!

I think in future versions it would be good to add an explanation about this. If you go from the tutorial right to the campaign, as I did, this will be your first time seeing the command view with no introduction at all.

From the start screen, there are 3 tutorials accessible under Tutorial: combat, advanced combat, and fleet command.  The fleet command tutorial starts you out in the command interface and explains how to tab between piloting and command.  It also explains how to deploy ships, issue orders, and transfer command between ships.

The tutorial from the campaign is more about the campaign layer of the game, and I believe assumes you have knowledge from the 3 other tutorials already.

So to clarify your suggestion, are you saying there should be more in game messages directing new players to do all 3 tutorials before jumping into the campaign or missions?  All 3 are really necessary to understand how to get the most out of the game.

Or does the fleet command tutorial need more work to be clearer about transitioning between piloting and command?  Clearly, the game failed to teach the necessary commands, and knowing where the game specifically failed would make the suggestion easier to act on for Alex is my guess.  For every player that comes to the forums and actually registers, there's presumably more that have the same problem and don't bother to post.