Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: automatically mothball prize ships  (Read 1061 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
automatically mothball prize ships
« on: August 05, 2021, 12:37:41 PM »

(read as: captured enemy ships)
Idk about other players but I've never at any point captured an enemy ship & thought to myself, "I'm gonna dump supplies into this ship that isn't set up the way I want it to get it to full CR", which means that not automatically mothballing every captured enemy (prize) ship is just a needless button I have to press to keep from throwing supplies down a hole, or frustration once I get back to port, see that that ship is at full CR & get mad at myself for having forgotten to hit the button.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: automatically mothball prize ships
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 12:43:22 PM »

If ships are mothballed, the fleet cannot T. Jump (or use campaign abilities that cost CR to activate).

Personally, I do not mothball ships unless I capture more Automated Ships while Mr. Radiant is in my fleet (and I do not need to use ability that costs CR), or if supplies are too low.  I usually use captured enemy ships instead of my A-Team for my 2nd to auto-resolve fights.  Leave the A-Team to fight real fights while stat ships and captured clunkers deal with pursuits.

If ships are automatically mothballed, I probably would un-mothball them immediately.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 12:49:46 PM by Megas »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 01:31:57 PM »

It should be an option that the player can set; perhaps even a choice to be made per-ship while recovering.

However, I'd be happier with always-mothball than never-mothball, as the latter causes significantly more issues - you lose supplies from the ship you want mothballed starting to repair itself, you potentially lose CR on other hulls if you don't have enough crew, and then once you've gone and mothballed the ships, you may have to go to your inventory screen to dump excess loot that you wouldn't have picked up if you had had the ships mothballed from the get go and not adding extra cargo/fuel capacity. It's just all-around inconvenient, and much more of a hassle than un-mothballing things.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 08:14:05 PM »

If ships are mothballed, the fleet cannot T. Jump (or use campaign abilities that cost CR to activate).

well, you can't do those things after recovering a ship anyway
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 05:23:31 PM »

T-jump (and presumably E-burn) now work with a ship at 0% CR, the affected ship just risks taking damage (but I've never seen a ship loss from such damage to a mothballed ship).

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 09:38:30 PM »

Most of the time I mothball all recovered ships by default, since I lack crew, supplies or weapons to bring them to combat capability. A way to make all recovered ships mothballed by default would be nice.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 05:42:29 AM »

I think it would help if mothballed ships had a little bit of CR, just enough for an emergency burn or two. Or alternatively, if CR could get negative for mothballed ships that emergency burn.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 03:05:21 PM »

m! a skill that "loans" a player 20* CR on recovered ships but causes the ship to get 0 CR per supply in repairs until the "loan" has been "repaid", so that the player can use a ship immediately after recovering it (or use CR-requiring campaign skills), then an elite tier that ?? gives you a free 20 CR bonus without interacting with the "loan" maths, putting you up to 40** free CR for recovered ships but you only have "repay" 20 of it before you start gaining CR again

* malfunctions, but no critical malfunctions, until peaktime is up then immediately eligible for critical malfunctions
** degraded performance, but no malfunctions, until peaktime is over then immediately eligible for malfunctions

also im sure theres a way to express the concept without using words like "loan" and "repay" but im not gonna workshop that

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 04:48:29 PM »

well, you can't do those things after recovering a ship anyway
Not immediately, but soon enough.

I remember mothballing Remnants immediately, then when I needed to T-Jump out of the system, I could not.

But a convenient use of repairing recently recovered clunkers is to (join with my stat ships and other civvies to) kill enemy ships in auto-resolved fights so that I do not need to waste CR of my main fighting force for those free kills.  Occasionally, I am able to cobble together a functional loadout for the recovered ships and they join with the current combat force.

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2021, 12:40:58 AM »

+1