Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finding Cores  (Read 868 times)

dskips

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Finding Cores
« on: August 05, 2021, 09:43:51 PM »

Is it just me or are there more alpha cores to be found these days? I remember feeling pretty fancy if my playthrough had 3 before doing any farming. Now though...

[attachment deleted by admin]

SeriousWays

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Cores
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 02:22:42 AM »

Can someone explain to me how finding high-quality cores works?

I read somewhere that only 3 planets with the highest survey level can spawn in a playthrough.
Is this true? Can the same be said about AI cores? Is there only a set number of possible Alpha cores to find, or is it reliant on the mapseed?

Also, dskips, can you share a few pointers on finding alpha cores? I currently have 2 alpha cores and I really need 1-2 more for my colonies, but every time I raid a research station or a remnant base all I get is gamma cores and the occasional beta.

Is it just poor luck? The wiki is kind of barebones and I cannot seem to find such info.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 02:30:43 AM »

It's best not to raid remnant bases, as there's little they drop that the fleets they spawn doesn't.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 08:56:50 AM »

Farm max strength Ordos fleets (with at least one Radiant) in a red danger system.  Do not kill the Nexus battlestation that can create those fleets out of nothing.  You can expect an alpha core in the loot for every other max Ordos you kill.

Before I hunted Ordos, I found a single alpha core (which I used as an officer for my Radiant).

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 02:55:22 PM »

Another way is to search for ruins, derelict ships and stations in Remnant systems. These tend to have often Alpha cores.

dskips

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 02:00:15 AM »

@SeriousWays

The ones I've found are I got from:
1 - Tech Cache
1 - Destroyed a REDACTED
2 - Fought some REDACTED, just the ones I ran into while looting the two red systems
1 - Tech mining
8 - Explored all the ruins & research stations

Pretty sure it's just a ridiculous chance, I don't think I've found more than 5 before.

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 04:52:09 AM »

You found a common amount of cores. During my current playthrough i found about 4 or 5 while exploring ruins, stations and derelicts and about 2-3 from easy (compared to heavy redected fleets!) midgame Battles. The other cores i got come from the Remnants. I get about one core for two battles against larger Remnant Fleets.

And i think this drop rate is quite OK now. During earlier versions it was much harder to get so much cores.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 11:34:27 AM »

I guess the current drop rate is fine, it's their use as colony admins that feels really, really wrong for both balancing and lore reasons.