Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Alex, I hope you having fun playing Highfleet  (Read 1915 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Alex, I hope you having fun playing Highfleet
« on: August 04, 2021, 05:15:14 AM »

Any ideas you'd take from there for Starsector?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Alex, I hope you having fun playing Highfleet
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 09:24:25 PM »

Thank you :) Hmm, nothing jumps out, really - they're pretty different games.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 04:54:05 AM »

I think what we're missing is a giant wrench on the refit screen.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 06:03:40 AM »

Truth!
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 12:40:28 PM »

if I had to pick one single thing from highfleet that I'd want to see in SS, I think it'd be the ability to break off strike groups from your fleet. I think it'd work really well for the late game
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 06:52:20 PM »

It’s an interesting game. I want to love it…. But I’m not quite there. The shipyard building thing whatever it’s called is clunky and missing basic things like why can’t I select more than one item at a time?! The immersion is great though! The art style fantastic. But ya I can’t quite put my finger on why I don’t love it….

Jimsec

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • WordPress Plugins
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 05:17:24 AM »

David, I agree with you.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 08:54:44 AM »

if I had to pick one single thing from highfleet that I'd want to see in SS, I think it'd be the ability to break off strike groups from your fleet. I think it'd work really well for the late game
I imagine one of the reasons Alex didn't go with this is that the campaign takes place on more than a single map (hyperspace + systems), unlike HF, where all your fleets are visible at all times. I wouldn't let that stop me, but I'm not Alex.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 11:42:17 AM »

I imagine one of the reasons Alex didn't go with this is that the campaign takes place on more than a single map (hyperspace + systems), unlike HF, where all your fleets are visible at all times. I wouldn't let that stop me, but I'm not Alex.
Even in Highfleet, with a single, small map and simplistic fleet movements, I've found that managing multiple fleets can be one of the most annoying things about the game. Most of the time it's a non-issue, but when you're managing two salvage operations while also trying to figure out what that new heat signature is and making sure your scout ship maintains contact with an enemy fleet without being engaged? Not fun.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 01:05:10 PM »

i find it the most thrilling part of the game. broke off a strike fleet to run down a freighter convoy to the north, then after it lands my warfleet gets a hit on the radar from the southwest, moving northeast..
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 03:07:23 PM »

Yeah, I like it as well. I'm not saying Highfleet's fleet management is bad. It opens up an entire layer of strategic/warfare gameplay that Starsector basically doesn't have. I'm glad it's part of Highfleet, even if it can be cumbersome. My point is simply that the UX problems it creates for Highfleet would be compounded several times for Starsector, if Starsector had something similar.