Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: (Unofficial) Performance Survey  (Read 901 times)

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
(Unofficial) Performance Survey
« on: July 28, 2021, 09:13:12 AM »

This short, anonymous survey will ask about which version of Java you use, your game's performance, and your PC specs.

This survey is not affiliated with Fractal Softworks (although the results may be provided to them). It is anonymous unless you write your name.
JRE is short for Java Runtime Environment. It's the version of Java that the game runs on.

A main goal of the survey is to see how large an impact switching to JDK8 is, and how many people experience problems with it.
A secondary goal is to simply gather information about what kind of setup people have (mods vs PC power) and how happy they are with it.

Link to survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdMfaHd_RUQqBscw7UvS_s_V-wnetOCTt_x303Zy857jvFkPw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Screenshot of some results so far:

Raw results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h-u9Z8OmGt_tv78JZC7zrB82APS3MLSPLmO4RzJwpr4/edit?usp=sharing
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (Unofficial) Performance Survey
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 10:12:01 AM »

I played 0.7.2. with ironclads for a long time, with java 8, and never got any issues. Does that count for something?
By the way - what's the difference between "Yes, it fixed the post-battle slowdown" and "Post-battle slowdown seems to be gone. Didn't notice anything else."?

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 10:22:22 AM »

I played 0.7.2. with ironclads for a long time, with java 8, and never got any issues. Does that count for something?

It's good to know, anyway.

By the way - what's the difference between "Yes, it fixed the post-battle slowdown" and "Post-battle slowdown seems to be gone. Didn't notice anything else."?

One of those is a choice on the survey and the other is a comment that someone typed into the "Other" field   ;D
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 07:19:46 AM »

31 responses, thank you to all who have taken the survey!

The median performance happiness, which is entirely subjective, stands at 7 out of 10.
(Remember that nearly all of these games are highly modded)

On needing to restart the game due to a massive, sudden slowdown:
    Only 1 (of 9) person on JDK 8+ gets the slowdown.
    The majority of people on JDK 8+ report that it fixed the slowdown for them.
    Of the people who are on JDK 7 who do not get the slowdown, a common factor is using 10 or fewer mods.

Users with a low performance happiness score (less than 5):
    There doesn't seem to be a strong trend. Sample size is only 4, however.
    PC specs are mixed, mod counts are mixed, JDKs are mixed.

Only one user (myself) reports modifying the game config to allow a framerate higher than 60.

Graphs!
Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 07:45:01 AM by Wispborne »