Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: odd save problem after only playing for about a week  (Read 439 times)

Dragon116

• Ensign
    • View Profile
odd save problem after only playing for about a week
« on: July 31, 2021, 12:15:31 PM »

ye I'm new to this kind of thing as I'm mostly a console player and I have no idea what this means any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated.  i saved and next time I booted it up a few hours later it showed this.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: odd save problem after only playing for about a week
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 12:25:27 PM »

Hi - I'm sorry about the trouble! Without seeing more of the error (there's a full stack trace in starsector.log - more of what you posted in the screenshot, basically), it's hard to say more, but it sounds like the save got corrupted somehow. The game keeps a backup save, and you can get back to the previous version by using the .bak files. What's in each save folder is:

descriptor.xml
campaign.xml
descriptor.xml.bak
campaign.xml.bak

And you want to move off the .xml files somewhere and then remove the .bak extension from the backup files so they get used by the game. That should get you to the previous place you saved. The save folder will be under Starsector/saves/save_<name of your character>_<some numbers>.

Dragon116

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 12:43:37 PM »

the backup files are named as campaign.xml and are marked as type BAK in not sure how to change the file type

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 12:53:55 PM »

Ah - it sounds like windows is not showing you the file extensions. It's usually a good idea to turn that on so you can see the actual names of the files.

To rename a file, you would normally select it and press F2 - that'll let you edit the name, including the extension. (The extension being the part of the file - usually 3 letters - after the last period in the filename.)

Dragon116

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 12:56:44 PM »

scratch that got it working your help is very appreciated.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 01:09:23 PM »

Nice - happy to help, and glad you got it sorted out!