Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Allow breaking beacons  (Read 1285 times)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Allow breaking beacons
« on: July 30, 2021, 07:08:05 AM »

I don’t want the beacon to just hang around after I cleared out the system.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Allow breaking beacons
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 08:07:05 AM »

This should be an atrocity, as well as being immensely profitable.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 10:07:41 AM »

It wold be interesting to remove a beacon, at a still hostile system, so that salvagers can then be seen entering it and getting into fights with Redacted....

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 02:11:53 PM »

It wold be interesting to remove a beacon, at a still hostile system, so that salvagers can then be seen entering it and getting into fights with Redacted....

at which point you can salvage the remains
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 02:17:39 PM »

It wouldn’t be hard to make it s.t. breaking beacon prematurely induces relation drop to everyone in the sector and maybe even the restoration of beacon by Hegemony.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 03:29:33 PM »

It wouldn’t be hard to make it s.t. breaking beacon prematurely induces relation drop to everyone in the sector and maybe even the restoration of beacon by Hegemony.

Why the relation drop, who's gonna know if you were the one to remove the beacon?  Pirates more likely.  Which, I guess only begs the further question... Who even put the beacons up?  Hegemony seems most reasonable, but TT was the faction with most AI stuff so... Luddic Church I guess?
I wasn't always a Judge...

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 04:19:34 PM »

Luddic would probably try to suicide themselves in a "Holy War against Moloch!!!!" against Redacted.....I now want to see their Holy Armada's getting torn to shreds by the Super Redacted... xD

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 05:59:19 PM »

I am pretty sure the beacons literally say they are Hegemony beacons. The Church helped.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 01:00:16 AM »

Both AI wars had Hegemony and TT as primary belligerents, with the Church and Persean League respectively supporting them. Hegemony-Church side won both times and after the first war, they went into the outer rim and squashed some Remnants and apparently didn't bother with others. The Church isn't as stupid as some may think.

Quote from: Interaction with a beacon
DANGER: This star system is known to contain potentially active autonomous weapon systems. Access to this system by unauthorized parties is forbidden by Hegemony Navy diktat 224.34.
It's probably Hegemony that put them up.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 02:30:49 AM »

If a beacon gets broken, it should respawn with church and hegemony fleets patrolling around it.
What goodies would you give to the player of breaking them?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 05:41:14 AM »

If a beacon gets broken, it should respawn with church and hegemony fleets patrolling around it.
What goodies would you give to the player of breaking them?
Nothing?
It’s for intel screen clean up.

Or make beacons intelligent enough to degrade itself.
For example, instead of just warning, make them serve as some kind of bounty on the system.
If you destroy the station in a high danger, the beacon drops to medium danger and award you with a pre-determined amount of cash, for Hegemony thanking you for your hard work keeping the sector safe.

Killian

• Commander
  • I got 99 problems but a core breach ain't one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 02:08:15 PM »

Being able to 'decommission' beacons once systems have dropped below certain threat thresholds would be appreciated. I set up shop in an orange-beacon system thanks to a decent number of worlds and its proximity to a hypershunt, and that beacon will forever remain there as a warning despite the system being perfectly safe... well, so long as you're not a Hegemony AI Inspection Fleet. Then it is exceeding unsafe... ;D

I feel like getting rewards should require going to the Hegemony though - and they should have no reason to reward you if they dislike you. Especially if they've already lost inspection fleets to your colony's defenders. Otherwise they're basically paying you to harvest AI cores that you're then pouring into making your colonies stronger.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »

Being able to 'decommission' beacons once systems have dropped below certain threat thresholds would be appreciated. I set up shop in an orange-beacon system thanks to a decent number of worlds and its proximity to a hypershunt, and that beacon will forever remain there as a warning despite the system being perfectly safe... well, so long as you're not a Hegemony AI Inspection Fleet. Then it is exceeding unsafe... ;D

I feel like getting rewards should require going to the Hegemony though - and they should have no reason to reward you if they dislike you. Especially if they've already lost inspection fleets to your colony's defenders. Otherwise they're basically paying you to harvest AI cores that you're then pouring into making your colonies stronger.

Not really? I’m thinking more of a one-off reward per beacon per downgrade for you to “make the sector a better place”. You have to effectively end the farm (kill the station) to claim the bounty, not in the sense of system pirate reward that can pay indefinitely.

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 05:08:43 PM »

I like the idea of beacon automatically downgrading so they don’t clutter the intel screen. How hard would it be to evaluate the danger each time you jump out? Like actually, I don’t know.

Being paid a bounty, even a small one would be nice and could make clearing the low and medium danger ones a fun early game job to earn money while fighting. Also it would make destroying stations feel less like a loss.