Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to make your own bundle of portraits?  (Read 720 times)

urbanVexation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How to make your own bundle of portraits?
« on: July 31, 2021, 12:53:32 AM »

Pretty self explanatory, And a bit of a newbie question, couldn’t find mention on it nor figure it myself out. I’m just getting started into the game and wanted to add some of my own portraits (OCs, etc.) but can’t figure out how you would do it. Would anyone mind giving me a quick summary or something on how to do it? Thanks in advance!

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: How to make your own bundle of portraits?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 01:02:05 AM »

Look at the faction file under "portraits" for each faction. These entries link to the relevant png files. The player is included as a faction.

urbanVexation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 03:29:58 AM »

Look at the faction file under "portraits" for each faction. These entries link to the relevant png files. The player is included as a faction.
Well I don’t want to entirely replace the base game files since I do have other mods for said portraits, I just overall want to create my own mod pack that adds these certain pictures to the mix. I guess I’m a way kind of like the “Another Portrait Pack” sorta deal but with my own custom images. It’s really a creative idea that like there would be a mix of people who use their face as their portrait or an online avatar.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 12:23:17 PM »

Well I don’t want to entirely replace the base game files since I do have other mods for said portraits, I just overall want to create my own mod pack that adds these certain pictures to the mix. I guess I’m a way kind of like the “Another Portrait Pack” sorta deal but with my own custom images. It’s really a creative idea that like there would be a mix of people who use their face as their portrait or an online avatar.

You don't have to replace the base game files. If you want to add portraits you can specify them in a faction file in a mod, and that section will merge with the portraits already defined in the base game.

You could have independent.json in a mod that only has this in it:
{
   id:"independent",
   "portraits":{
      "standard_male":[
         "graphics/portraits/my_custom_portrait_01.png",
      ],
      "standard_female":[
         "graphics/portraits/my_custom_portrait_02.png",
      ],
   },
},

- and that just adds two portraits to the independent faction.

(And because this comes up more often than you think, if you want to add portraits to other mod factions and not just vanilla please ask the mod author for permission before publishing the portrait pack.)  ;)

urbanVexation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 01:53:43 PM »

You don't have to replace the base game files. If you want to add portraits you can specify them in a faction file in a mod, and that section will merge with the portraits already defined in the base game.

You could have independent.json in a mod that only has this in it:
{
   id:"independent",
   "portraits":{
      "standard_male":[
         "graphics/portraits/my_custom_portrait_01.png",
      ],
      "standard_female":[
         "graphics/portraits/my_custom_portrait_02.png",
      ],
   },
},

- and that just adds two portraits to the independent faction.

(And because this comes up more often than you think, if you want to add portraits to other mod factions and not just vanilla please ask the mod author for permission before publishing the portrait pack.)  ;)
Thanks! :D Hopefully I can get this simply down, do I need to specify the version of it like most mods do so that way the game doesn't bug me about how it's "not up-to-date"?

Killian

• Commander
  • I got 99 problems but a core breach ain't one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 01:59:27 PM »

I recommend you dissect an existing portrait pack to get an idea for how it works - they're really quite simple. The 'code' is also so simple that I doubt anyone will yell at you if you use a pack as a basis for your own, so long as you scrub all the unnecessary content & details, and update credits/urls/etc.