Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Looking for Fleet Comp Tips  (Read 931 times)

thomas_pigskin

• Ensign
  • braindead moron and rat bastard extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Looking for Fleet Comp Tips
« on: July 28, 2021, 09:41:09 PM »

So, on the current save that I'm playing, (v0.9.1a-RC8 for context), I've got a pretty solid baseline going, afaik.

Three Tempests and two Omens, an Apogee, three Colossi for storage, and four Phaetons.

I'm currently still in the process of gaining more capitol through exploration bounties, but so far I've got about 1.5 mil credits saved up.

What I'm looking for right now is suggestions on what ships I add to the fleet, since I've been going off of a related forum post praising the stupidity that is the Tempest frigate. I'm also relatively new to the game, only started really playing it about a week or two ago. Any help would be appreciated.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Fleet Comp Tips
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 12:39:29 PM »

Considering it’s not the current version, I’d still recommend adding some “meat” to your core attack group. You’ve got enough money to do anything at this point and you only have a single cruiser. If you want to continue to travel “light” a Destroyer or two wouldn’t slow you down and add a significant amount of firepower. The Hammerhead (over-tuned in .91) would give you the most bang for your buck but a pair of Sunders would also pay huge dividends while the Apogee shield tanks and Tempests distract. They are great support fire ships with beams (like HIL) or as an assault ship with Autopulse.

If you really want to stay small and fast, an Afflictor or two or a Harbinger would also add a lot of damage without slowing you down.

thomas_pigskin

• Ensign
  • braindead moron and rat bastard extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 11:46:18 PM »

Alright, as of now, I've added two more Tempests and a Hammerhead to my fleet, and just got done wiping the floor with the ships you fight during the Red Planet story mission.

Anything else that might be in my best interest to have in my fleet?

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 03:35:03 AM »

Alright, as of now, I've added two more Tempests and a Hammerhead to my fleet, and just got done wiping the floor with the ships you fight during the Red Planet story mission.

Anything else that might be in my best interest to have in my fleet?

If you just want a quick answer helping you get overpowered in 0.9.1: carriers, fighters, officers. Maybe a few solid cruisers? For the Red Planet quest, you can easily overwhelm opponents by outnumbering them. That said you still need serious firepower for the main threat.

That said, IMO, you'd better play 0.95 and next versions, actually learn the game, see what ships (+outfit) and fleet compositions are effective for your gameplay style and what you have fun with. There is so much more in the game than just Hammerhead + Tempest.  ;D

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 10:43:47 PM »

As much as people like the Tempest... it's not a good ship for an aggressive fleet.  Its omnishield is small and neither the player nor AI can manage it during an intense furball.

I'd definitely recommend a scarab with shield conversion - front and stabilized shields.  It's a bruiser.

Also, it's great to pilot a small, fast ship like the Hyperion or a phase ship.  The enemy AI will often completely ignore your fleet in favor of your personal ship, so that's a way to really contribute.

For all other ships, it's a matter of numbers.  A flight of Centurions might work better than your tempest wing, especially if you add a couple of monitors in the mix.