Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: combat boarding  (Read 756 times)

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
combat boarding
« on: July 27, 2021, 04:11:09 PM »

ram a ship, stick to it, send in the marines!
i know this is a serious stretch..... a hullmod that lets you stick to enemy ship, disabling weapons of both until boarding action is done, and if you win the enemy ship becomes yours

or something like that

the original space pirates and zombies kind of had this sort of thing in it

ANYway, i juuuust want to be able to actually ram enemy ships to great affect a la WARHAMMER WAAAAAGH style taking your ship
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: combat boarding
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 08:01:49 PM »

this was a feature in SPAZ, though it was much more integral to the game (why is in the name). the base game didn't do much with it but with the mod that drastically expanded the vanilla content (& has had the concept of a "zero point reactor" that does nothing when it blows up & has extremely high output but almost no capacity stuck in my head for years) it was fun to have to backpedal away from enemy ships as they fire salvos of boarding parties at you, popping the pods & shuttles with your guns & watching them slew people out into space, and then splattering them against your bow as you re-engage the enemy.
i have nothing else to contribute
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 02:49:31 AM »

yea the original spaz was gold, personally i was kind of sad the direction the went with the new one; it wasnt bad, just it wasnt as good as the first one
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 03:15:43 AM »

This has been discussed to hell and back. I'd like to refer you to this:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5127.0

But don't think of this as being reprimanded by me, I just thought it necessary to let you know about it
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 03:20:02 AM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 04:58:39 PM »

thanks and no offense taken

it seems as though it would be too arduous of a task to really be feasible.  i still really want to have more ships that ram other ships though!

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 05:07:02 PM »

ya know, the vulcan is extraemely powerful at finishing off a ship whose shields & armor are deleted. Not accounting for the PD, you could change the vulcan to fire boarding pods & nothing else & it would work as a boarding thing. The "frag" damage it deals is just an abstraction of the damage the boarders can do to the damaged ship before the defenders stop that boarder
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 03:07:25 AM »

ya know, the vulcan is extraemely powerful at finishing off a ship whose shields & armor are deleted. Not accounting for the PD, you could change the vulcan to fire boarding pods & nothing else & it would work as a boarding thing. The "frag" damage it deals is just an abstraction of the damage the boarders can do to the damaged ship before the defenders stop that boarder

Is that still the case? Frag damage feels pretty weak now that residual armor is a thing.