Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Asteroid navigation sensor hullmod  (Read 3669 times)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Asteroid navigation sensor hullmod
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2021, 07:10:02 PM »

no need to get up in arms, i just think it should be a part of the vanilla experience.
What content does mining add exactly?
From rumors I heard it's functionally replaced by ruins excavation and tech mining.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 07:12:30 PM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2021, 11:43:35 AM »

no need to get up in arms, i just think it should be a part of the vanilla experience.
From rumors I heard it's functionally replaced by ruins excavation and tech mining.

Nex asteroid and planet mining basically adds the ability to get free stuff (mostly mineral or volatile resources, occasionally rare stuff drops), at the cost of your time and sometimes being attacked (generally by either angry independent miners or pirates).  Asteroid mining is just faster than planet mining, but gives less stuff; also there is some sort of mining resource respawn parameter so player doesn't just try to mine the same spot over and over again, so planets "regenerate" faster than asteroids.  Although would actually be more useful if Neutrino Detector improved, since player wouldn't necessarily have to drag volatiles around, can just mine them way out in the middle of nowhere instead.  Otherwise, it's just another means for the player to make money, basically (since rare drops are RARE, easier to just explore and find research/mining stations and break down with salvage rigs).

Actually have no idea why Alex hasn't added it in, one of the few parts of Nex that isn't something 4X related and seems basically kosher with in-game lore.  But if he hasn't added it yet, I'm sure he has his reasons... like maybe his time is better spent improving AI and fixing skill system currently!

In any case, this should put the final nail in the coffin of this tangent, this thread is about asteroid strikes being annoying, not mining.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2021, 01:23:16 PM »

Nex asteroid and planet mining basically adds the ability to get free stuff (mostly mineral or volatile resources, occasionally rare stuff drops), at the cost of your time and sometimes being attacked (generally by either angry independent miners or pirates).  Asteroid mining is just faster than planet mining, but gives less stuff; also there is some sort of mining resource respawn parameter so player doesn't just try to mine the same spot over and over again, so planets "regenerate" faster than asteroids.  Although would actually be more useful if Neutrino Detector improved, since player wouldn't necessarily have to drag volatiles around, can just mine them way out in the middle of nowhere instead.  Otherwise, it's just another means for the player to make money, basically (since rare drops are RARE, easier to just explore and find research/mining stations and break down with salvage rigs).

Actually have no idea why Alex hasn't added it in, one of the few parts of Nex that isn't something 4X related and seems basically kosher with in-game lore.  But if he hasn't added it yet, I'm sure he has his reasons... like maybe his time is better spent improving AI and fixing skill system currently!

In any case, this should put the final nail in the coffin of this tangent, this thread is about asteroid strikes being annoying, not mining.
From what I understand it IS a duplicate feature but Nex just never retire codes.

The mining was implemented back when there is no exploration content and lore said there are treasures hidden by the desperate owners trying to hide them from those who don’t deserve. That’s why you were able to get loots other than just ores and volatile out of mining. However, the reasoning is nullified after vanilla implemented all the exploration contents and ruins on planets, representing those hidden treasures that should not respawn in any volume. It’s a cut-off sector after all.

TL;DL it was already implemented back in 0.8 in a more reasonable and balanced form.

salt
It has also discouraged modders to come up with interesting and engaging mining mechanisms mod because Nexerelin has taken the place.
[close]

Edit:
Well, I mean, mining is not in scope of vanilla thus doesn’t make a good reason why mining ship should be good at dodging asteroids.
As I said in earlier post, the OP suggestion was already in game by the form of sensor skill.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 01:29:11 PM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2021, 03:20:13 PM »

From what I understand it IS a duplicate feature but Nex just never retire codes.

The mining was implemented back when there is no exploration content and lore said there are treasures hidden by the desperate owners trying to hide them from those who don’t deserve. That’s why you were able to get loots other than just ores and volatile out of mining. However, the reasoning is nullified after vanilla implemented all the exploration contents and ruins on planets, representing those hidden treasures that should not respawn in any volume. It’s a cut-off sector after all.

TL;DL it was already implemented back in 0.8 in a more reasonable and balanced form.

salt
It has also discouraged modders to come up with interesting and engaging mining mechanisms mod because Nexerelin has taken the place.
[close]

Edit:
Well, I mean, mining is not in scope of vanilla thus doesn’t make a good reason why mining ship should be good at dodging asteroids.
As I said in earlier post, the OP suggestion was already in game by the form of sensor skill.

If Alex depreciated it from game code, then it isn't in the game anymore.  Why he did this, I couldn't say, but I'm sure he had his reasons.  So Nex gets credit for keeping it.  So it now "belongs" to Nex (nevermind copyright, fair use, etc.).  But still, this tangent is starting to become basically academic...

Just add some option to mitigate asteroid strikes late-game when doing sustained burn, it's annoying as hell and you would think that by the year 2600 someone would have figured out some "fix."  Whether said "fix" comes from [REDACTED], I don't care (although would be cool to have it come from [REDACTED], then [REDACTED] has a reason to not have asteroid strikes knock them off course when chasing you).  Balance as necessary so more available late game (hence the [REDACTED] suggestion).
I wasn't always a Judge...

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2021, 05:52:27 PM »

If Alex depreciated it from game code, then it isn't in the game anymore.  Why he did this, I couldn't say, but I'm sure he had his reasons.  So Nex gets credit for keeping it.  So it now "belongs" to Nex (nevermind copyright, fair use, etc.).  But still, this tangent is starting to become basically academic...

Just add some option to mitigate asteroid strikes late-game when doing sustained burn, it's annoying as hell and you would think that by the year 2600 someone would have figured out some "fix."  Whether said "fix" comes from [REDACTED], I don't care (although would be cool to have it come from [REDACTED], then [REDACTED] has a reason to not have asteroid strikes knock them off course when chasing you).  Balance as necessary so more available late game (hence the [REDACTED] suggestion).
Let's make it clear, mining is a Nex thing and never was vanilla, Alex never deprecated it because it didn't exist in vanilla since the dawn of time.
Mining was added in Nexerelin because it made sense when it was implemented by Nexerelin for the lore I mentioned. It no longer does after 0.8a.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]