Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Asteroid navigation sensor hullmod  (Read 3641 times)

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Asteroid navigation sensor hullmod
« on: July 27, 2021, 03:38:49 AM »

Decreases the odds of an asteroid strike while in an asteroid belt based on how many of your total DP are equipped with the hull mod. Should probably top out at something like 1/10th of the DP since it should be enough to outfit the logistics ships of the fleet with such a sensor. Though realistically I expect people will demand more benefits than just asteroid avoidance from a hull mod, like how solar shielding also gives -20% energy damage in combat?

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Asteroid navigation sensor hullmod
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 06:25:53 AM »

Or just do the opposite, give heavy armor the ability to reduce asteroid impact damage.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 07:25:45 AM »

Or just do the opposite, give heavy armor the ability to reduce asteroid impact damage.

Might be good too but would leave out all the ships you don't want to stick that on, plus you still get bounced around by the impact.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 07:50:07 AM »

This reminds me greatly of the cheap MIDAS hullmod from Roider Union. Reduces EMP damage taken slightly and reduces most of the bouncing effect of asteroid strikes (fitting for miners!) based on how many ships have MIDAS equipped. Roiders have it by default but it can be learned and applied to any ship. I have it on my logistics ships, some of my combat ships and the Roider ships in my fleet and it makes the difference in outrunning or chasing fleets in many systems, especially some of the asteroid-heavy ones from mods.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 08:38:22 AM »

perhaps there could be a few versions, one that increases armor and makes the bounce not happen, one that increases overall sensor strength and makes the impact not happen
couple those with the midas system and combat capable civvies becomes more and more viable (militarized with a package, and the appropriate skill)
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 09:30:47 AM »

Sensor skill makes it possible to move “slowly” at burn 8 which is not slow at all, thus I don’t think any hullmod should be able to mitigate the asteroid impact completely especially regarding knocking off course effect.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 09:35:37 AM »

Sensor skill makes it possible to move “slowly” at burn 8 which is not slow at all, thus I don’t think any hullmod should be able to mitigate the asteroid impact completely especially regarding knocking off course effect.

You can do the same through hyperspace storms but solar shielding still reduces that.

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 09:37:03 AM »

correction: causes a percentage change that when one is procced it wont occur

i apologize, i thought this was implied but implications are trumped by specific information
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 10:21:52 AM »

You can do the same through hyperspace storms but solar shielding still reduces that.
It’s reduced damage but it doesn’t reduce the storm frequency and it doesn’t stop the storm from yeeting you.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 01:34:38 PM »

Dunno, pretty sure it has already been suggested, but tacking some reduction of asteroid strikes onto a skill might be a better idea.  This could then mesh with hull mod use to completely or significantly reduce strike chance at speed (since you can always just go slowly through asteroid fields instead)...
I wasn't always a Judge...

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 01:59:23 PM »

Dunno, pretty sure it has already been suggested, but tacking some reduction of asteroid strikes onto a skill might be a better idea.  This could then mesh with hull mod use to completely or significantly reduce strike chance at speed (since you can always just go slowly through asteroid fields instead)...
The sensor skill already does quite that. It increases the slow moving burn by 3 which is huge. Any other way of mitigating of asteroid impact other than buffing sensor skill is, IMO, undermining the sensor skill.
I think it would be fine if sensor skill get that buff (reduced asteroid impact chance) since I have the impression that the majority of people pick navigation over sensor. If such hullmod or whatever way other than skill is implemented, sensor will be a dead skill that noone would ever pick.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 02:49:06 PM »

It’s reduced damage but it doesn’t reduce the storm frequency and it doesn’t stop the storm from yeeting you.
But with the reduced damage both of those becomes pluses. If anything, it's better than simply negating those two things.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 03:13:39 PM »

But with the reduced damage both of those becomes pluses. If anything, it's better than simply negating those two things.
Not really? You have no control over your fleet when you got yeeted by storm and a bad entry may knock you way off course ending up using more time and more fuel.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 03:41:20 PM »

The sensor skill already does quite that. It increases the slow moving burn by 3 which is huge. Any other way of mitigating of asteroid impact other than buffing sensor skill is, IMO, undermining the sensor skill.
I think it would be fine if sensor skill get that buff (reduced asteroid impact chance) since I have the impression that the majority of people pick navigation over sensor. If such hullmod or whatever way other than skill is implemented, sensor will be a dead skill that noone would ever pick.

The sensor skill is about sensors, so adding ability to somewhat reduce asteroid strikes when burning at full speed WOULDN'T undermine the sensors skill.  Since, you know, NPC fleets can still generally detect you much more easily and therefore chase you when going at full speed.  Plus, only basically mutually exclusive NOW, but this is supposed change in a few months (unless I misread the skill changes).  Players would therefore be able to more easily pick BOTH skills, which I would prefer definitely prefer (much rather waste a skill point on that than other skills, since can always just reroll later).  But as I have stated in other threads, maybe I'm just biased against the current skill system since I straight up hate the wrap-around mechanic and how it essentially forces mutually exclusive skills (good for highest tier skills, stupid for lowest tier).

But I mainly suggested it to mesh with hull mods because relying too much on hull mods to only achieve certain effects is basically the same issue as forcing mutually exclusive skills.  Although this would be mitigated to some degree if custom built ships add the ability to build in certain hull mods without wasting a story point.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 03:54:57 PM »

Not really? You have no control over your fleet when you got yeeted by storm and a bad entry may knock you way off course ending up using more time and more fuel.
Incorrect; the amount you are knocked off course is directly controllable (via your speed iirc), such that fleets can storm-surf in a straight line from location to destination with practically no deviance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4