Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Safety Override should kill crew  (Read 3161 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Safety Override should kill crew
« on: July 26, 2021, 03:43:53 AM »

Meaning hull damage leads to more causalities than it
normally would, the reverse effect of reinforced bulkheads. In combat, it would make little practical difference. But it would add so much flavor to SO, adding a moral component to the decision to use it that, at the moment, is only implied. And it would help to explain why no faction except the Luddites uses this often powerful hullmod.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Safety Override should kill crew
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 04:07:49 AM »

Awesome idea, I love it.
There is a change coming for safety overide in the near future tho, so we will se then.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 09:43:17 AM »

I like the idea as well, but perhaps it's not enough.  Either also adding a crew morale meter or at least a sick bay hull mod to mitigate crew losses (combat and non-combat) would also be nice.  Having the game generate lists of injured crew members after battles etc. and then killing some of the injured crew over time (more and more quickly without sick bays) might be a bit too much to add though, prolly easier to just calculate total losses after every battle and then just subtract some losses if player has sick bay(s) in fleet.  Less of an issue to track crew injuries over time since game dropped crew experience (unless that ALSO gets brought back).
I wasn't always a Judge...

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 12:11:28 AM »

Yes please!
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 10:25:29 AM »

+1.

However, I personally wouldn’t consider the “moral” component of this because crew are literally just another commodity/resource necessary to keep my ships going. If Veterancy was re-instated, using SO would be a meaningful choice but losing extra crew really won’t have a huge impact until those losses start affecting CR or eating into profits. That said, it would add an additional downside to SO that makes logical sense and might come into play if you’re out exploring or chain-fighting Ordos.

If you wanted to take it a step further, SO could increase crew loss and simultaneously, reduce max crew to just above skeleton crew levels. If you have a fleet primarily composed of SO ships, it would be chronically under-crewed barring a crew transport of some sort. 

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 08:14:44 PM »

i thought u meant like the eldritch hullmod from the gullible modpack that literally just eats some crew every day lol
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 01:10:45 AM »

This is a pretty nice idea.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 06:19:21 AM »

Only if OP cost is reduced.  Otherwise, no.  Reduced PPT and shot range, and extreme OP cost, are more than enough penalties.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 02:42:17 PM »

tbh offsetting the OP cost of SO onto downsides probably wouldnt be the worst thing around, it combines with the build-ins mechanic in a way that isnt IMO ideal, pressuring players to put it onto ships not bc the build they want to run needs it but bc they have a spare story point & its so much more OP expensive than all the rest that it short-circuits the "if I could have 1 hullmod for free" decision making process

edit: im dumb, and clearly never actually use SO lmfao
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:46:38 PM by Deshara »
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 02:44:26 PM »

tbh offsetting the OP cost of SO onto downsides probably wouldnt be the worst thing around, it combines with the build-ins mechanic in a way that isnt IMO ideal, pressuring players to put it onto ships not bc the build they want to run needs it but bc they have a spare story point & its so much more OP expensive than all the rest that it short-circuits the "if I could have 1 hullmod for free" decision making process
But you can't S-Mod SO?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 02:44:59 PM »

Safety Override cannot be s-modded in the latest release.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 02:47:16 PM »

hrm, I could have sworn I heard mention of it being an issue. ... maybe what Im remembering was Alex mentioning why he had disabled it before release

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 02:53:50 PM »

It was possible in the first 0.95 release, but it was changed in one of the hotfixes soon after.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 03:13:42 PM »

Meaning hull damage leads to more causalities than it
normally would, the reverse effect of reinforced bulkheads. In combat, it would make little practical difference. But it would add so much flavor to SO, adding a moral component to the decision to use it that, at the moment, is only implied. And it would help to explain why no faction except the Luddites uses this often powerful hullmod.

Hmm - interesting! As much as I like the idea, I hesitate to make a hullmod with already complicated effects more complicated "just" for flavor, though.

(And - doesn't this already happen, if indirectly? A ship with SO will get to a critical malfunction level faster, and critical malfunctions can do hull damage, resulting in crew casualties. Though that really doesn't come up very much in practice, to be fair.)

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 05:01:36 PM »

i personally find it odd that some folks would consider SO i "must have" in terms of built in mods as the trade offs are so severe

although i tend to enjoy long range tanks more than fast hit and fade ships, regardless of the size
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward
Pages: [1] 2 3