Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: SweetOs Pile of Suggestions (probably Part1) Miscellaneous  (Read 480 times)

SweetO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
SweetOs Pile of Suggestions (probably Part1) Miscellaneous
« on: July 24, 2021, 01:13:48 AM »

Hi, hope you're doing well.

While this is my first post, for the sake of staying on topic, I'll skip the introduction.
I'll start with a couple of Interface related things I noticed while I consider whether or no to spend more time to elaborate on more complicated stuff.

Item amount selection:
LMB for whole stack, shift+LMB for quasi-Logarithmic selection (I really like that ;D) and ctrl+LMB for stacks depending on option. great stuff. I don't know whether sb else has felt the need for an addition.
  • I'd like to suggest alt+LMB for a small window where you write the number you'd like to purchase. Of course check whether number is bigger than stock, negative or NAN  :P

Storage Access:
So you've either bought storage, used an abandoned station, or have a colonized planet. You transfer stuff and then this: and here you would find the image I prepared.... but apparently its 2005. I know it's for cost saving which is totally understandable, but just kills the dramatics ^^
There appears a button to confirm the transfer and unless confirmation takes place, interaction (RMB) is not possible. Why? It is not just inconvenient, it is also unnecessary.
  • My suggestion here is: just remove it.

While we are on the topic of storage I'd like to address Item limits. (If this has just been a topic of the past, please disregard) I think I ran into one. And I distinctly remember reading that it is in place to prevent cluttering although I don't remember where. There are windows for showing separate item types, like resources, weapons, etc. so what is the argument again? I would understand a limit by volume, but if you can store entire fleets then item limits make no sense at all.
  • My suggestion here is: just remove it. With a scroll bar there are no problems.

I have a slight emergency irl. I'll continue this later.

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SweetOs Pile of Suggestions (probably Part1) Miscellaneous
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 04:31:19 AM »

interesting suggestions, i really like the first one
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: SweetOs Pile of Suggestions (probably Part1) Miscellaneous
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 03:07:14 AM »

It is not just inconvenient, it is also unnecessary.
Assuming you wouldn't be able to somehow copy blueprints or modspecs this way...

While we are on the topic of storage I'd like to address Item limits. (If this has just been a topic of the past, please disregard) I think I ran into one. And I distinctly remember reading that it is in place to prevent cluttering although I don't remember where. There are windows for showing separate item types, like resources, weapons, etc. so what is the argument again? I would understand a limit by volume, but if you can store entire fleets then item limits make no sense at all.
I don't remember there being any item limits. There used to be a stack limit, but that was removed.