Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Maximize Window  (Read 513 times)

fjc130

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Maximize Window
« on: July 22, 2021, 02:32:11 PM »

Is there any way to play Starsector windowed but maximize it so it fills the whole screen like you can do with a chrome tab or an explorer tab? when i play fullscreen my computer takes quite a while to minimize starsector and move to another window (discord for example) and when i play windowed the game doesnt maximize which makes the lower tabs simply not appear, i noticed the maximize button is greyed out however so i wanted to know if there was any way to maximize the window?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Maximize Window
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 02:36:23 PM »

Hi - if you set the game to run at your native resolution but *do not* check "fullscreen", it'll run in what's called a "borderless window" - that is, a window without the caption bar or borders. The operating system/graphics drivers treat this as something in between proper fullscreen and a proper window. But, for example, alt-tabbing should be very fast in that mode compared to fullscreen.

fjc130

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 02:41:17 PM »

I guess i will have to stick with that, but, i would still prefer alot being able to see the task bar while playing the game in a maximized window, if this is not possible however, i will have to stick with your solution, thanks alot for the quick answer!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 05:32:26 PM »

Ah, yeah - it's not really possible to do exactly what you'd want here, 3D accelerated windows in OpenGL can only be a certain set of sizes, and "native resolution minus the height of the taskbar" is generally speaking not one of them.