Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Collisions during ship deployment  (Read 232 times)

Madbadger2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Collisions during ship deployment
« on: July 23, 2021, 12:34:36 PM »

I'm having a problem with collisions when my ships are entering the map. I'm using the AI Battles mod tournament scenario to test my tourney fleet, which currently has 35 ships.  I have a Wolf that is ramming an Atlas from the rear every time during the initial deployment burn ships do to get on the map. It does not appear that ships are allowed to maneuver until this ends, and the Atlas is in the 2nd row behind another big ship, and the Wolf is in the 3rd, directly behind it. The Wolf usually survives with about 20% health left.

Collision radius is where the game engine starts checking for collisions (at least according to the wiki). And the bounds are what actually cause the collision. But the ship AI sure isn't following "Always stay out of another ships collision radius unless you are trying to ram" all the time.

This is exactly the sort of situation that causes rear end collsions in RL--big truck slows down suddenly to avoid hitting something in front of him, and the fast car behind him (who can't see the front hazard) is caught by surprise and rear ends the truck. This does kill people, and often, so points for realism, I guess, but is there any workaround to avoid it or make it less likely from just manipulating the ship deployment list? (that's the only thing I can currently control)