Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What's the logic for selecting the jump point when navigating to a system?  (Read 1071 times)

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

When you pick a place inside the system it's pretty clear, the one closest to the target but when you're selecting the star from the sector map (e.g. because you haven't explored the system yet) I have no idea how it decides on one, doesn't seem to be either the closest to the star or the closest to your fleet. Is there real logic there or just "pick the first from an unordered list"?

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile

From what I've experienced, it seems to be the outmost jump point?

My experience as well, not sure about the reasoning behind it.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile

The previous behaviour was: jump on top of the star. So what we have now is an improvement. :D

Jumping on the point closest to star would sometimes lead player fleet inside star's corona (*), which is not ideal and thus (potentially) close to previous behaviour. Personally I like to jump in using gas giant, if there is any, or at an isolated planet using Traverse Jump skill, as a way to reduce in-system travel.

(*) sometimes I wonder if having such jump point should be considered as a bug, because it is not player friendly at all

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile

Because it's most likely to be furthest away from anything that wants to kill you?

It's also most likely the furthest away from anywhere I want to go.
Not that it matters much since you can always manually pick a different entry point and it certainly beats jumping on top of the star.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile

My understanding is that it should pick the closest JP to your destination. Sometimes it seems to make mistakes, but most of the time it works for me.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile

Yeah it's one of those things I don't see the exact formula for either but it's also one of those things I'm not overly concerned with dissecting, partly because there's nothing stopping you from switching course to another jump point before you arrive and partly because previously, selecting a system from the map aimed you straight for the primary star, which was always, 100% of the time, a horrible, horrible situation.  Since planets move in orbit of their star anyway, it's usually a good habit to check your jump point when you arrive anyway so you're not ambushed by anything that happened to move into position while you were en route.