Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Industry items vs AI cores  (Read 863 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Industry items vs AI cores
« on: July 16, 2021, 04:54:20 AM »

Industry items and AI cores should be mutually exclusive. That way AI cores would be a fallback solution if you are missing the proper item or the planet has conflicting conditions rather than another power-creep path. It would also solve the frustration that comes from finding a wasted perfect planet (for example the "bountiful farmlands + sparse rare ores" kind of planet).

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Industry items vs AI cores
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 05:39:24 AM »

Industry items and AI cores should be mutually exclusive. That way AI cores would be a fallback solution if you are missing the proper item or the planet has conflicting conditions rather than another power-creep path. It would also solve the frustration that comes from finding a wasted perfect planet (for example the "bountiful farmlands + sparse rare ores" kind of planet).
Why? That doesn't make any sense lorewise.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 01:35:02 PM »

If gameplay and lore are in conflict, that's lore's issue.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 03:17:58 PM »

It's fun having both things, why remove fun?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 12:25:36 AM »

Why? That doesn't make any sense lorewise.
Is it? "However good at optimizing AI are, they can't improve further than an already optimized hardware bottleneck."

It's fun having both things, why remove fun?
I prefer to remove a major source of frustration if it's only at the cost of a very minimal "fun" to min-maxers. Instead of being *** off at a system that is almost perfect but it has that one pesky deal-breaking condition on one of the planet, you have a fall-back mac-guffin to compensate that comes with some drawbacks.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 12:44:10 AM »

Sounds to me like the drawback is the issue that should be adjusted, not the use with an AI core.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 04:51:51 PM »

Sounds to me like the drawback is the issue that should be adjusted, not the use with an AI core.
Personally I don't have any issue with the drawback at all, that's not the point of this suggestion. I have an issue when conditions prevent the use of an item which make a whole system not worth investing into. Having two different possible upgrades, one with requirements and one universal with drawbacks instead of two additive upgrades, would solve that issue. A perfect planetary system would still be best, but a near perfect would become usable instead of worthless.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 04:53:28 PM by Tartiflette »