Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Skill Changes, Part 2  (Read 24379 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Changes, Part 2
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2021, 08:34:51 PM »

Can we have more teasers please?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2021, 12:10:58 AM »

I don't know, can we?
I wasn't always a Judge...

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2021, 02:01:21 PM »

Does high resolution sensor on phase ship affects the profile reduction?

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2021, 10:37:58 PM »

I don't know, can we?
Alex posted a screenshot of a much-needed feature on Twitter.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2021, 01:42:06 AM »

I don't know, can we?
Alex posted a screenshot of a much-needed feature on Twitter.

Oh finally, so annoying to have to switch screens and guesstimate distance to some star system you can't remember the name to.  Although if dual-monitor support were ever to be added... but not for a long time (or it is rendered pointless by VR headsets allowing for as many monitors as you want/your graphics card can handle).
I wasn't always a Judge...

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 29, 2021, 08:15:33 AM »

Alex, we're all loving the new feature even though it has nothing to do with the skill system  :P
Anyway, have there been any new skill changes after Skill Changes Part 2?

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 09, 2021, 02:14:58 AM »

From a way back...
Colonies requiring admins to exist at all is actually a p. neat way of resolving some of thier issues.

I kinda want this to happen because it also implies you could get rid of the hard cap for colony numbers entirely, as admins then become the limiting factor for them. The player is 'capped' by thier own finances and admin availability there.
That way, there's a soft limit on colony numbers which slowly grows as the player progresses. And they always have the option to (eventually) scatter admins about like alpha cores, so long as they are prepared to handle thier ever growing upkeep.
And it also solves the issue of the player not being guaranteed to have enough colonies to access all resources at meaningful levels and perform additional tech mining.

If you wanted another soft cap you could also raise the upkeep costs of all admins by multiplying it by something like Math.max(0, SQRT(n-3)) to give the player 4 admins at base cost, and every one they add after that increases the cost of all of them.
(I'm bad at Java, apologies if I made a huge hash of that expression.)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2021, 06:18:10 PM »

Are there any plans have more than 10 skills per aptitude?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2021, 11:00:22 PM »

* With the change to the skill system, from a design perspective, it also means that now there's no need to keep each aptitude at 10 skills each. You certainly can, for symmetry purposes, but might be something to keep in mind if you're having trouble trying to balance out all the different aptitudes.

Ah, good point/something to be aware of. <looks at Bulk Transport> (I actually kind of want to replace that one with something more interesting; right now it's definitely a bench-warmer.)
Considering this, there are plans to have fewer than 10 skills, if anything.

FabianClasen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2021, 07:27:02 AM »

Just wanted to tune in with an unpopular opinion.

I personally nearly always end up with all of the colony management skills. Like 90% of my games i skill them, because boosting passive income is my idea of fun. It also is my personal main endgame goal. Get as many Colonies as possible and make them self sufficient militarily and profitable.
These skills are definitely not boring at all. Sad to see them go away.

So there's that.
--------------------------------
Not a native English speaker.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2021, 10:02:45 AM »

i think if you always take all of those skills that isn't an argument to keep them bc then it defeats one of the points of a skill tree, optionality; non-options are better off folded into some of the game's other mechanics, like making them industrial items you have to fight a boss for
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2021, 06:26:14 PM »

Just wanted to tune in with an unpopular opinion.

I personally nearly always end up with all of the colony management skills. Like 90% of my games i skill them, because boosting passive income is my idea of fun. It also is my personal main endgame goal. Get as many Colonies as possible and make them self sufficient militarily and profitable.

So there's that.
Voice your support for this then:https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=22515.0

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 23, 2021, 06:41:56 AM »

I think the main issue with colony skills isn't that they're not good, it's that they're mostly replaceable by Alpha Cores. Once you're able to fight [REDACTED] fleets, Alpha Cores are essentially unlimited (just based on how much time you're willing to spend farming them), whereas skills are limited to 15 total. So in that situation, it's better to just use Alpha Cores as colony admins so you can maximize your skills.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 24, 2021, 06:33:47 AM »

I think the main issue with colony skills isn't that they're not good, it's that they're mostly replaceable by Alpha Cores. Once you're able to fight [REDACTED] fleets, Alpha Cores are essentially unlimited (just based on how much time you're willing to spend farming them), whereas skills are limited to 15 total. So in that situation, it's better to just use Alpha Cores as colony admins so you can maximize your skills.

Or Colony Items, which are much more interesting and have more levers to pull than Skills. Ultimately, all colony skills boil down to generating income and keeping that income safe. I agree with Alex in that printing money can be handled outside of the Skill system. The only Skill that might still be necessary is something to improve the number/efficiency of Admins but even then it should probably be tied to some other campaign layer.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2021, 07:33:32 AM »

Colony items are not that interesting when they spike Pather interest.  I avoid Hypershunt Tap like the plague because I never ever want cells on my colonies, not after the painful experience of 0.9a.  Two colonies are locked with pristine nanoforge and synchrotron because I need them to meet demand for Military Base/High Command.  That leaves two other planets with one colony item each.  Ideally, they should have Dealmaker Holosuite (or maybe Biofactory for the Light Industry drug planet if core worlds were not wiped out).

Industrial Planning feels like a tax because it seems like demand always assumes admin has IP, not to mention that meeting 9 or 10 demand for the lamp or tap assumes player min-maxed demand stats.

It would be nice if player could rule more than four planets without using cores.  Even if getting colony skills was sub-optimal (thanks 0.9.1a Pather bug), at least it was a way to get a kingdom as big as the Hegemony or League.

P.S.  Four planets feels kind of constraining when I need two systems with two planets or one system with four planets because of required colony defenses to avoid babysitting.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 07:36:45 AM by Megas »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15