Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Skill Changes, Part 2  (Read 24861 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Changes, Part 2
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2021, 01:08:52 PM »

Enemy AI and builds have improved, and they'll ram that down any captial's throat pretty hard(though your own AI is still a potato).

(AI's the same on both sides... :) )

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2021, 01:39:59 PM »

For explorer runs extra Cr is more of a malus than a buff, as you can sink quite some supplies into unneeded CR, would be nice to limit the CR for repairs of ship you never plan to field anyway.
Btw. an efficeny overhauled Paragon in a Corona seams to consume much more supplies than one without efficiency. If you disable repair for the time inside, and repair later both consume the same amount which is even less than both previous values.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 01:44:04 PM by ubuntufreakdragon »

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2021, 02:37:26 PM »

For explorer runs extra Cr is more of a malus than a buff, as you can sink quite some supplies into unneeded CR, would be nice to limit the CR for repairs of ship you never plan to field anyway.
Btw. an efficeny overhauled Paragon in a Corona seams to consume much more supplies than one without efficiency. If you disable repair for the time inside, and repair later both consume the same amount which is even less than both previous values.
That’s totally untrue unless you run extended combats and run down CR to literally 0 or surf hyperspace storms/coronas as if they don’t exist.
It only costs additional supply when recovering CR to max, but uses the same supply to sustain.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2021, 02:54:53 PM »

A few times I've gotten into trouble by taking the CR boosting skill after levelling up while exploring and not halting repairs, then running into supply issues. Its a bit of a nasty trap, but its a one time cost.

rabbistern

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2021, 02:59:44 PM »

I gotta say, I really like the direction of the industry skills now. having cr and hulltank improvement skills already felt great and a big step towards more civvie/low tech plays, and the new ones seem to go well with that style.
I think this might be as good as it gets for a place to mention this but hulltanking is really not that big of an option as of now, and it could be the secret to making low tech stronger due to minimum armor reduction. as it stands we had great steps towards it with min armor reduction skills, reduced crew casualties on hull hits etc, but at the end of the day it's still a fleet game where often multiple ships engage one target, with each having dps in the 3-4 digit range against 4-5 digit hull points. multiplying hull points by some factor across the board is not something that would probably happen but it would disproportionately help out ships with higher base armor more,, so I suggest doubling down on what the new industry skills have blessed us with already, some skills further adding hull points and making min armor skills percentage based rather than flat could save lowtech and general civvie scavenger rig play styles (most mods add some or the other commercial mining vessels in the vein of the shepherd), along with perhaps a buff to hull increasing hull mods as in a skill that would reduce hull HP affecting hull mods to be perhaps a bit op cheaper or double their effect or something. Just my 2 cents as a mining/commercial scavenger rp enjoyer seeing how the new industry skills will make this better now

Argentj

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2021, 02:59:54 PM »

Enemy AI and builds have improved, and they'll ram that down any captial's throat pretty hard(though your own AI is still a potato).

(AI's the same on both sides... :) )

Not trying to be saucy, but that doesn't meet the observation standard from my big bad N of 1.  If I have your attention, I'm actually quite curious!

Looking at vanilla only (nex has been intriguing me lately):

A) [REDACTED] do not have the standard AI, and no combination of commands and officer personalities can replicate how they behave to my own satisfaction.  In vanilla, [REDACTED] and {INCREDIBLY REDACTED} are the two situations for which you really want to bust out capitals, and ironically to me, seem to be the situations they are weakest in.

B) I suspect that enemy fleets are run by an invisible 'fleet commander'.  It seems, based on how fluidly they behave, that this invisible fleet commander has an absolute metric ton of command points.  You can replicate how enemy fleets behave, but you don't have the command points to come close to the sustained behavior.

If these are in the ballpark, then I'll stand by the statement.  You can't replicate the best behaviors and thus the distinction is worthy of merit and consideration.  If I'm spewing nonsense, I'll just chew on the foot in my mouth for a while.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2021, 03:03:01 PM »

Well for A: AI core officers have an aggression level above reckless, exclusive to them.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2021, 03:04:08 PM »

Well for A: AI core officers have an aggression level above reckless, exclusive to them.

Observing from code it suggested otherwise.
The AI officer factory method uses reckless officer personality.
The fearless personality simply doesn’t exist.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2021, 03:15:35 PM »

I gotta say, I really like the direction of the industry skills now. having cr and hulltank improvement skills already felt great and a big step towards more civvie/low tech plays, and the new ones seem to go well with that style.
I think this might be as good as it gets for a place to mention this but hulltanking is really not that big of an option as of now, and it could be the secret to making low tech stronger due to minimum armor reduction. as it stands we had great steps towards it with min armor reduction skills, reduced crew casualties on hull hits etc, but at the end of the day it's still a fleet game where often multiple ships engage one target, with each having dps in the 3-4 digit range against 4-5 digit hull points. multiplying hull points by some factor across the board is not something that would probably happen but it would disproportionately help out ships with higher base armor more,, so I suggest doubling down on what the new industry skills have blessed us with already, some skills further adding hull points and making min armor skills percentage based rather than flat could save lowtech and general civvie scavenger rig play styles (most mods add some or the other commercial mining vessels in the vein of the shepherd), along with perhaps a buff to hull increasing hull mods as in a skill that would reduce hull HP affecting hull mods to be perhaps a bit op cheaper or double their effect or something. Just my 2 cents as a mining/commercial scavenger rp enjoyer seeing how the new industry skills will make this better now

Hmm - I'm not actually sure that buffing hull values would help *that* much. It's useful, right, but if a ship is in a bad way - armor cracked and being shot at by multiple enemies - chances are most of its weapons are disabled, maybe even its engines, and it's not in a position to fight back. So more hull is kind of delaying the inevitable. And, yeah, it would sometimes buy enough time for a friendly ship to come to the rescue. But if the bad spot the ship got into is representative of how the battle is going, then more hull probably isn't going to help very much.

A) [REDACTED] do not have the standard AI, and no combination of commands and officer personalities can replicate how they behave to my own satisfaction.  In vanilla, [REDACTED] and {INCREDIBLY REDACTED} are the two situations for which you really want to bust out capitals, and ironically to me, seem to be the situations they are weakest in.

They have the "reckless" AI combined with a few additional tweaks (that make them a bit more aggressive) that apply to all automated ships. This applies to automated ships in the player's fleet, as well.

B) I suspect that enemy fleets are run by an invisible 'fleet commander'.  It seems, based on how fluidly they behave, that this invisible fleet commander has an absolute metric ton of command points.  You can replicate how enemy fleets behave, but you don't have the command points to come close to the sustained behavior.

They are run by a commander, but that commander is subject to the same command point limits and generally doesn't do too much. It does however trust the ship AI to do its thing more than some players tend to, which probably accounts for the fluid-looking behavior :) It also orders a full "Search & Destroy" a fair bit.

Argentj

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2021, 03:35:46 PM »

So, about half a foot to chew on, fair enough.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2021, 03:54:56 PM »

That’s totally untrue unless you run extended combats and run down CR to literally 0 or surf hyperspace storms/coronas as if they don’t exist.
It only costs additional supply when recovering CR to max, but uses the same supply to sustain.
Oh its quite very true.
There are effects that instantly reduce the CR of a ship to 0
Recovering 70 Cr is cheaper than 100 Cr on any ship
e.g. a Logistics ship get hit by a hyperspace storm.
I want to be able to limit my repairs to save supplies in some situations, namely I don't profit from extra Cr on that ship and having more Cr just means it will lose more Cr in some situations, which would be a net loss of supplies.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2021, 04:00:51 PM »

Oh its quite very true.
There are effects that instantly reduce the CR of a ship to 0
Recovering 70 Cr is cheaper than 100 Cr on any ship
e.g. a Logistics ship get hit by a hyperspace storm.
I want to be able to limit my repairs to save supplies in some situations, namely I don't profit from extra Cr on that ship and having more Cr just means it will lose more Cr in some situations, which would be a net loss of supplies.

It’s partially your fault running into storm without moving slowly and get * a bit * unlucky to get logistics insta blapped but I see what you’re saying. (Which I never did so I didn’t know it can insta 0 out)

@Alex, can you roughly explain how HS storm damage works?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2021, 04:03:45 PM »

Hmm yeah "overkill" from a storm strike would cost more wouldn't it! Consider me corrected. I suppose the player could run with repairs off on those ships as default and only toggle once they got too low for emergency burning? Thats quite the tedious micro though.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2021, 04:07:50 PM »

Hmm yeah "overkill" from a storm strike would cost more wouldn't it! Consider me corrected. I suppose the player could run with repairs off on those ships as default and only toggle once they got too low for emergency burning? Thats quite the tedious micro though.
Ships with critical CR/hull that are not being actively repaired or Mothballed can randomly get destroyed from a lack of repair, even when being stationary on the campaign map.

Had that happen to a Radiant I foolishly un-mothballed before waiting for a new month to tick over and give me enough money to Restore it for a free full CR/Hull repair. No points for guessing which button I hit immediately afterwards...

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2021, 04:09:00 PM »

That's the point, it's tedious micro, limiting the CR for repairs would remove useless tedious micro for the same effect.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15