Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: add a broken fusion lamp to a core system, and/or replace a binary star w one  (Read 856 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

the fusion lamp only ever being seen at a player colony once they find one and never anywhere else makes it feel like something that got added to the game after systems stopped getting added. It makes the sector feel a little bit less real, that you can identify an element of the game that was a late addition just bc it isnt a part of the world design. Its a bit like how in Dark Souls you can tell Izalith or the Painted World werent added to the game early or even midway into the game, they were bolted on after the rest of the game was made. Obviously this isn't as extreme of an example, but it does illustrate the fact that, you can tell. You don't get that feeling with the cryosleeper bc of Nomios -- you arent the only one who can get one so it's better integrated into the gameworld than it would be if Nomios werent there.

To that end, add two fusion lamps into the game.

Replace a small star in a binary system with one in one of the core systems, running & working, like Achaman in Magec.

Then another one just to flesh out the flavor text, which mentions that the lamp doesn't shut off when it's starved of volatiles but instead starts to fluctuate dangerously. That second one, add to a system that could use a little Jazz (like a league one, their systems cut a little on the boring side), have it be away from any inhabited planet like an abandoned orbital mirror (or replace one with it), give it a magnetic field surrounding it, make the lamp itself spinning with a permanent magnetic storm spiking out in the direction it's facing as it spins, and make it occasionally fire out solar flares -- like a short ranged neutron star.

Itd be easy to throw in a pair of excuses why the player can't raid or just grab either; the former is in such bad repair that if you move it it might break, possibly catastrophically (to you), and stabilizing operations have to be made with care and even then its days are numbered unless a solution is found.
and the other was running just fine (& still is, technically) until the collapse cut off its source of volatiles & made it dangerous to the planet until it became clear the planet would never be able to source a steady-enough supply of volatiles for it and just hauled it out into space having decided its easier to weather the cold & dark than solar flares pointed directly at them, until something (or someone) struck it giving it a spin & now that there's no cold backside to the lamp to approach from safely it's literally impossible (with the tech available in the sector) to stop its spin so it can be stabilized or towed before whatever ur trying to do the work with is melted away by the heat of a sun right in the face
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Do the core worlds use any items besides the synchrotron core and the nanoforges? The lamp really is the last thing I'd consider adding to them. Though if these items were more common it would be strange for Pathers to be so annoyed by them.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

Do the core worlds use any items besides the synchrotron core and the nanoforges? The lamp really is the last thing I'd consider adding to them. Though if these items were more common it would be strange for Pathers to be so annoyed by them.

nomios has a cryofacility, its very heavily implied tritach has an AI administrator (tho i cant remember which planet)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Nomios has a cryosanctum, which is a bit different to cryorevival facility - in fact, it does the opposite; it freezes people, instead of unfreezing them to put them to work.
I agree about other colony items, since it means you can't raid for them to get them.