Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sci-Fi Series similar to Starsector  (Read 3258 times)

Darknote

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Sci-Fi Series similar to Starsector
« on: July 09, 2021, 12:24:09 PM »

Hello all Forumites,

I've been searching far and wide for a Sci-Fi novel to scratch that Starsector itch. Has anyone found any series where we start with just the protagonist on their ship?

So far I've read the following (That are close to the theme of Starsector).
1. Revelation Space Series + Chasm City by Alistair Reynolds (Coolest and best I've read, but its dry in its Humanity).
2. The Expanse Series by James S. A. Corey (DNFed by 8th Book, I really hate the direction it was going).
3. Terms of Enlistment by Marko Kloos (DNFed by 3rd Book, antagonists were just way too cliche)
4. Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (DNFed by first book, but I want to finish it sometimes).

Thank you for any suggestions!

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Sci-Fi Series similar to Starsector
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 12:30:16 PM »

probably could add to the list the bunch of books that SS is inspired by, but i dont remember what they are or where they talked about them lmfao
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Darknote

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 12:40:28 PM »

probably could add to the list the bunch of books that SS is inspired by, but i dont remember what they are or where they talked about them lmfao

I've read half the books that Starsector was inspired by. The others I didn't like the premise :(

EDIT: Found them: https://fractalsoftworks.com/2015/03/12/a-starsector-reading-list/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 12:43:53 PM by Darknote »

Kossilar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 09:10:50 AM »

You might like the Honor Harrington series by.... David Weber. First one is On Basilisk Station. It's available for free from the Baen Free Library.

https://www.baen.com/on-basilisk-station.html

Nicelo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 01:48:53 AM »

I liked Revelation Space Series + Chasm City by Alistair Reynolds too, really interesting. I am taking with me "Honor Harrington" series as I am going on vacation to my Thai condo here at the end of the week. Will write my opinion about it later

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 01:16:48 AM by Nicelo »
Hi