Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Station Drones as high-OP LPC's  (Read 1439 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Station Drones as high-OP LPC's
« on: July 08, 2021, 08:38:11 PM »

Would this be a good idea?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Station Drones as high-OP LPC's
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 03:17:57 AM »

Merlin and Gargoyle are limited to only PD weapons. If you say "just change the weapons and the ship systems so they aren't overpowered", soon enough the suggestion becomes "I want superheavy fighters", which I'm not sure if you intended.

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 12:01:16 PM »

I mean I'm still really interested in the mobile battlestations mod which looks to be abandoned so I say go for it
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 12:19:52 PM »

They're destroyers, not fighters. Nothing about that would work as a carrier-launched ship. They don't fit into any hangars, they can't just fly over a carrier and they don't get replaced when they die.

Marco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 05:44:41 PM »

Merlin and Gargoyle are limited to only PD weapons. If you say "just change the weapons and the ship systems so they aren't overpowered", soon enough the suggestion becomes "I want superheavy fighters", which I'm not sure if you intended.

I've always thought frigates were supposed to fill that role.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 04:49:44 PM »

What if I do indeed want superheavy fighters with paladin PDs though.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 10:33:25 AM »

A ship with Battle-riders would be nice though. Non-replaceable, frigate (or larger) sized combat ships carried by a tender that devotes most if it's systems to carrying the riders. If the riders are customizable even better.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 12:43:28 AM »

A ship with Battle-riders would be nice though. Non-replaceable, frigate (or larger) sized combat ships carried by a tender that devotes most if it's systems to carrying the riders. If the riders are customizable even better.
What's the difference between that and just bringing a bunch of frigates or destroyers?

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 10:29:59 AM »

Riders are replaced for free between battles, and you can have riders that would be far too powerful as a standalone ship, but can be limited by being tied to a carrier.

Usually the reason for Riders to exist in a setting is because they let you build ships that perform better mass-for-mass because you can leave out all the FTL drives and long-term supplies that you'd need for a "real" ship.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:32:16 AM by DatonKallandor »

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 08:43:21 AM »

Riders are replaced for free between battles, and you can have riders that would be far too powerful as a standalone ship, but can be limited by being tied to a carrier.

Usually the reason for Riders to exist in a setting is because they let you build ships that perform better mass-for-mass because you can leave out all the FTL drives and long-term supplies that you'd need for a "real" ship.

i second this having something of a mobile battlestation is definitely on the list for me
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward