Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Built in Compromise Mods shouldn't be a Compromise  (Read 962 times)

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Built in Compromise Mods shouldn't be a Compromise
« on: July 22, 2021, 07:30:34 PM »

As it is, we have a set of "compromise," mods that change the core function of the ship in exchange for serious tradeoffs.  Prime among these is Militarized Subsystems, but Converted Cargo Bay, and Makeshift Shield Generator are standouts as well.

Each of these has substantial benefits, but if you're taking on [REDACTED] fleets the costs can be crippling to the point you just don't want to field a ship with those mods.

I would suggest that these mods have those penalties removed once they are, "built-in."  This allows you to personalize a ship to function in a way it was never intended.  Civilian ships can be genuinely militarized without the nagging crew and op cost, slow low-tech ships that could use the makeshift shield generator don't get their weak top speed further hampered, and I don't know about you, but a Shrike P with a complement of base-cost fighters sounds like a fun way to bully enemy small smallships.

But to each, their own.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Built in Compromise Mods shouldn't be a Compromise
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 11:11:24 PM »

Building in anything into civilian ships is too suboptimal anyway. Would be insignificant even if implemented. What's the point of making a weak ship slightly less weak, when you could deploy something actually good?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 11:38:07 PM »

I build logistics hullmods into civilian hulls sometimes so I can fit more than two. Trying to make civies into combat ships is definitely inefficient though.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 10:05:28 AM »

Those mods are essentially improvising to turn something from non-combatant into something with basic combat ability, it's not gonna produce a machine that can take on even the fleets of organized militaries, never mind REDACTED.

Though these days militarized subsystems could probably lose a few OP since one of its main benefits, the +1 burn speed is made obsolete by getting Bulk Shipping.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 10:16:28 AM »

Those mods are essentially improvising to turn something from non-combatant into something with basic combat ability, it's not gonna produce a machine that can take on even the fleets of organized militaries, never mind REDACTED.

Though these days militarized subsystems could probably lose a few OP since one of its main benefits, the +1 burn speed is made obsolete by getting Bulk Shipping.
I totally agree. Another major downside of Militarized Subsystem is that it will make the civilian ship count as combat and take a share from fleet-wide skills, reducing the effectiveness of actual combat ships.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 05:21:38 PM »

It's like in the real world. Putting some cannons and modifications on Freighters or Oil tankers won't make modern battleships out of these.

Kloranthy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 08:52:12 PM »

It's like in the real world. Putting some cannons and modifications on Freighters or Oil tankers won't make modern battleships out of these.

lol that reminds me of the acquisition entry for the Broomcorn in Brigador.

Did you know that, with the right modifications, even a tractor can be a fearsome warbike? That’s right, you didn’t—because it can’t.

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 08:54:49 AM »

Did you know that, with the right modifications, even a tractor can be a fearsome warbike? That’s right, you didn’t—because it can’t.
[/quote]

.....yall ever seen mad max?

*country boy can survive starts playing* WELCOME TO THE CORN FIELD MOTHERF***ER

sorry for the vid spam theyre all short videos
the second and last are just for fun, as one isnt a tractor, and one is a piece of history

ENJOY

it should be noted i long for the possibility to convert (in game without modding) civilian ships into at least SOMEWHAT reliable war machines, possibly even capable of surviving (if not even winning, in some cases) battles with the REDACTED etc)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:05:03 AM by 6chad.noirlee9 »
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward