Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.95a] Starseeker Enclave - Baby's first mod edition  (Read 4859 times)

weedlock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.95a] Starseeker Enclave - Baby's first mod edition
« on: July 08, 2021, 05:20:46 AM »

Hello, everyone. I got these to where I like am not embarrassed to show off these. So far, it's just two (very) basic recolors and kitbashes of vanilla ships to make sneaky phase exploration vessels. Click here to receive cringe.

Tengu, Stealth Bomber

This is basically your standard Kite, but with a phase coil, rejiggered logistics, better burn speed and fuel efficiency. The missile hardpoints are now universals with a slightly better arc. (very) slightly better flux core, roughly 40% better acceleration and turning. Accompanied by a Terminator drone wing, and uses the Interdictor system.

Tengu (E), Explorer

This is a demilitarized Tengu. Has better logistics, but no weapons. Replaces the Terminator wing and Interdictor with Active Flare Launcher. This version was added to base_bp.

Hitsujikai, Stealth Drone Tender

This is a souped-up badass Shepherd. Problem is, it's still a Shepherd. Sports a much better turret arc, changed to energy subtype. Borer drone wing is now a Wasp wing, and ship system is now Targeting Feed. Has a little less armor than the Shepherd, and the phase cloak costs 150 flux a second; its for dodging, not chasing and killing. Still has the salvage gantry and surveying equipment built-in, but also has Delicate Machinery.

The balance on these seems to be OK; they're basically designed to be slightly better at exploring and combat than the normal versions. Emphasis on the exploring; they're for simplifying early game logistics and sneaking past [REDACTED] and pirate-salvagers, basically. But the blueprint is rare. Honestly, these are mostly for my own use, but if anyone likes them, please tell me.

Shout out to the Starsector Discord for tips and tricks, you guys rock.

Changelog
Spoiler
-ship hull and variant IDs etc changed to SSE_tengu, SSE_tengu_e, and SSE_hitsujikai
-roughly 100-150 more armor for each ship

- Tengu: Removed Terminator Drone shipsystem, replaced with Interdiction System. Added one fighter bay, which has a built-in Terminator wing. Buffed acceleration. Nerfed logistics footprint, increased DP. Changed armor value from 50 to 150 (vanilla Kite).
- New ship: Tengu (E): Same stats as the original Tengu, but with a slightly better logistics profile. Has Active Flare Launcher and no weapon hardpoints. Has Phase Field, Delicate Machinery, and High Resolution Scanners.
- Made the sprite for the Hitsujikai slightly better.

1.0- First upload. Two ships, Tengu, phase scout and Hitsujikai, phase drone tender.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:50:11 PM by weedlock »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Starseeker Enclave - Baby's first mod edition
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 05:28:51 AM »

clicking on a random modpost to see a new kite variant gave me a heart attack

honestly nothing really fits a non-combat phase ship in vanilla.

the one that kills an enemy's engines would fit; a small explorer ship could make use of the ability to interdict an enemy in order to run away. and I would make use of it to line up hammer shots on ships that would otherwise be able to dodge them even if overloading (like a hound or a droneship). This would fit the intended use of the ship, while also fitting the not-intended use of it as a large dagger fighter

also I hope u realize phase kite is basically going to be my permanent flagship. I hate managing the shield on my a-kite, so this fixes my only issue with it. Combined with my list of nearly-vanilla friendly hullmod mods, I am going to do some evil stuff with this. Regenerating missiles, several hullmods that increase 0-flux bonus, a hullmod to upgrade the phase cloak. You've basically handed me a hyperion that phases. I could probably kill an onslaught with this by engaging it from the front 1v1. Yeah, this'll do. This'll do juust right
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 05:35:40 AM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

weedlock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 06:24:02 AM »

the one that kills an enemy's engines would fit; a small explorer ship could make use of the ability to interdict an enemy in order to run away. and I would make use of it to line up hammer shots on ships that would otherwise be able to dodge them even if overloading (like a hound or a droneship). This would fit the intended use of the ship, while also fitting the not-intended use of it as a large dagger fighter

Great idea; I totally forgot about that. I kept bouncing around the idea of making a ship system that basically just fires a built-in weapon, but that sounds better, especially because the best loadout for the Tengu is still dual missiles, even though I changed them to universals.

also I hope u realize phase kite is basically going to be my permanent flagship. I hate managing the shield on my a-kite, so this fixes my only issue with it.

I have a deep love for the Kite (S) due to playing Vanilla Starfarer mode a lot. Originally, the Tengu was built off of that sprite and had no weapons, but I love the Kite (S) too much to keep it that way. Maybe I'll recolor it to the same scheme and split the Tengu between an exploration-focused no-weapon version, and a combat focused bomber version.

Thanks for the feedback, man. Let me know how it handles in-game. I think I might have under-tuned it with the armor reduction; it's made of paper.

Kayse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 02:51:19 PM »

Huzzah more phase kitbashes!

First off, welcome to modding! Your kitbashes look nicer than mine, so definitely nothing to be embarrassed about. :)

I'd recommend adding a default_ship_roles.json to your mod so that they appear in markets and the NPC factions know when to use them.

I'd also recommend bumping up the armor values a tad. The Tengu (E)'s 50 armor is low, even for a civilian frigate and 150 is low for the Tengu to be getting into combat on purpose. With armor so low, frag damage will murder these ships fairly easily (if that's intended to make them more 'fighter like', no worries). The Hitsujikai with 150 armor is fragile but not unreasonably so for a pure carrier. I'd personally recommend 200 armor for the Hitsujikai and Tengu (E) and 300 armor for the Tengu, but no pressure, its your own thing. :)

Intending to add them to my current phase fleet playthrough and see how they mesh/feel. If anything else jumps out to me, I'll try to let you know.

Edit: I'd also recommend adding a prefix to your ships (and any other IDs that you use), just to prevent accidents if you use the same name as someone else. Something like SSE_tengu.ship for Starseeker Enclave SSE would prevent a crash if there happens to be a conflict. However, changing IDs will break saves so it might be better to do it earlier rather than later if you plan to. :/

You might ask Vayra to use Tengu since it's on the magic used name spreadsheet as "Vayra - Queue - Other" with a note to please ask if you want to use it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:04:53 PM by Kayse »

weedlock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 11:46:21 PM »

Huzzah more phase kitbashes!

First off, welcome to modding! Your kitbashes look nicer than mine, so definitely nothing to be embarrassed about. :)

I'd recommend adding a default_ship_roles.json to your mod so that they appear in markets and the NPC factions know when to use them.

I'd also recommend bumping up the armor values a tad. The Tengu (E)'s 50 armor is low, even for a civilian frigate and 150 is low for the Tengu to be getting into combat on purpose. With armor so low, frag damage will murder these ships fairly easily (if that's intended to make them more 'fighter like', no worries). The Hitsujikai with 150 armor is fragile but not unreasonably so for a pure carrier. I'd personally recommend 200 armor for the Hitsujikai and Tengu (E) and 300 armor for the Tengu, but no pressure, its your own thing. :)

Intending to add them to my current phase fleet playthrough and see how they mesh/feel. If anything else jumps out to me, I'll try to let you know.

Edit: I'd also recommend adding a prefix to your ships (and any other IDs that you use), just to prevent accidents if you use the same name as someone else. Something like SSE_tengu.ship for Starseeker Enclave SSE would prevent a crash if there happens to be a conflict. However, changing IDs will break saves so it might be better to do it earlier rather than later if you plan to. :/

You might ask Vayra to use Tengu since it's on the magic used name spreadsheet as "Vayra - Queue - Other" with a note to please ask if you want to use it.

Thanks for the suggestions. You're right, I ought to make a prefix. I didn't bother for my first version, and well, then I just got used to it. Speaking of the name thing- I'll send Vayra a PM, but where's that name spreadsheet you're talking about?

Kayse

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 03:41:43 AM »

The "Already Used Names" Google sheet. You'll need to request permission to edit it before you can make changes and Histidine will have to approve you (which may take a day or two).

weedlock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 05:30:51 AM »

Thanks, dude.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 09:27:51 PM »

just read the mod description in the launcher for the first time & laughed out loud
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

weedlock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 10:45:41 PM »

By the way, I implemented most of this. They still aren't added to markets manually, but the Tengu (E) shows up in civilian fleets and markets sometimes, because it's a base blueprint. Which means the player has access to it, too. The normal Tengu and Hitsujikai will just have to be spawned with the console for now. Eventually there's going to be a quest chain to get the ships and unlock them, but that's for the future. But I did the armor buffs, and you were right; it feels better.

weedlock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 10:49:37 PM »

somehow i quoted the op here instead of editing it. truly, my genius is limitless
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 03:41:34 AM by weedlock »

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 11:17:43 AM »

Eventually there's going to be a quest chain to get the ships and unlock them, but that's for the future. But I did the armor buffs, and you were right; it feels better.

i wasnt gonna say anything but i quietly modded them back to their base stats in all ways except for the system changes bc i figured losing your shield is an adequate tradeoff for gaining a phase cloak on its own. Besides -- armor is more important to phase ships than they are to shielded ships

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 12:13:01 PM »

Awww these are adorable! Definitely going to chuck these in my next run when I come back to playing sooner or later.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

shpooky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 05:39:44 PM »

huh? no download link?

weedlock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 09:55:23 PM »

FYI, this works with the latest patch, although as I write this I realize I didn't actually test the Tengu with the terminator wing- patch might have broke that, but I don't know if Alex messed with the drone wing to implement Termination Sequence. I might change the Tengu to use it, but probably not. Seems a little too strong for what my ship is supposed to be.
Pages: [1] 2