Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: One frigate is worth one fleet slot, one Paragon is worth one fleet slot.  (Read 3939 times)

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile

Having the ships in your fleet isn't the same as deploying them in combat though. By the end-game, frigates are pretty disposable - but generally, because of the fleet cap, you can't fly around with a large reserve of them - unless your fleet is mostly frigates, which generally isn't an optimal choice. The combat map can still have a strict limit of ships deployed simultaneously, without the surplus having to be left at home.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile

40 just fells as a better option for the cap.
You normally have >10 logistic ships in larger player fleets.
1-5 caps 3-6 cruisers and some destroyers wont allow ~10 Frigattes, which are needed to replace them.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

40 just fells as a better option for the cap.
You normally have >10 logistic ships in larger player fleets.
1-5 caps 3-6 cruisers and some destroyers wont allow ~10 Frigattes, which are needed to replace them.
Also to the enemy.  In 0.9a, when we had fleet cap but NPCs did not, they had about sixty ships in an endgame fleet.  Instead of something like ten capitals and twenty cruisers, they had fewer big ships more smaller ships.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile

I'd honestly be curious to see the results of experimenting with all this.

Now assuming the sizes are: Frigate -> Destroyer -> Cruiser -> Battlecruiser -> Battleship

Like say, a ship can "pass over/through" a friendly ship that's 3+ sizes (ie a frigate can move past a Battlecruiser and Battleship, a destroyer only a battleship) while a larger ship can 'shoot over' a friendly 3- sizes smaller. I'd be interested in seeing the video if anyone ever plays with those parameters, should be quite a show.  ;D

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Like say, a ship can "pass over/through" a friendly ship that's 3+ sizes (ie a frigate can move past a Battlecruiser and Battleship, a destroyer only a battleship) while a larger ship can 'shoot over' a friendly 3- sizes smaller. I'd be interested in seeing the video if anyone ever plays with those parameters, should be quite a show.  ;D

I already literally suggested that, and Alex literally already shot it down (pun not intended).  Mostly because AI in its current configuration would not be able to handle it.  Although adding some evasion to frigates and fighters so that sometimes larger shots sometimes "miss" (ie, fly over target) would be cool and prolly wouldn't break AI too badly.
I wasn't always a Judge...

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile

I already literally suggested that, and Alex literally already shot it down (pun not intended).  Mostly because AI in its current configuration would not be able to handle it.  Although adding some evasion to frigates and fighters so that sometimes larger shots sometimes "miss" (ie, fly over target) would be cool and prolly wouldn't break AI too badly.
Oh I know it'd break the AI, I just think it'd be fun to watch regardless;)  Sometimes you just have to throw things at the wall and see what happens, actual results may surprise you.

Although giving smaller ships "evasion" when shot at by larger ships is interesting too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]