Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Couple changes I would appreciate.  (Read 3104 times)

Stormlock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Couple changes I would appreciate.
« on: April 17, 2012, 05:24:41 AM »

The first is to have some sort of option for making weapons set to autofire persist between combats. It gets annoying having to set it manually all the time, and if I just changed ships or weapons around, there's a good chance I'll forget and won't realize my anti-fighter weaponry is off until they've already flown through my shields.

Next would be that when all the enemy ships left in the battle are retreating, hitting escape to auto resolve the battle should auto resolve it properly- not assume that the enemy change it's mind about retreating and somehow destroyed my carrier with a single busted up ammoless freighter.

Third would be to have some control/improvement on the AI. Specifically, they seem to handle shields very poorly. I tried using a cruiser as support but the thing keeps turning the shields off before even raising them completely, changing it from a veritable tank to a piece or origami. There should be some means of making the AI more inclined to keep shields raised vs firing weapons, whether via manual fiddling or related to what it's equipped with (a ship outfitted with extended, hardened, half cost 360 degree shields should be keeping them up as much as possible.)

Oh, and one more thing: autofire should prefer focusing on targets where possible, and smaller targets more than larger ones. Having all my lasers locked on to 3 different destroyers not even tickling their shields while 2 freighters dance around unloading missiles and bombs at closer range is really aggravating.

Actually one more thing as well: I keep 'buying' things and then hitting escape to finish it, accidentally cancelling the whole thing. Something needs to change there, either make escape confirm the sales instead (The way it works on the refit screen, or change the refit screen to match this, having them work differently is too weird) or at least put in a leaving confirmation when you've selected things to buy/sell. Though it shouldn't ask if you're sure you want to leave if all you did was browse, obviously.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:37:01 AM by Stormlock »

Emailformygames

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Couple changes I would appreciate.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:39:14 AM »

I believe 2 and 3 are mentioned in the next patch's notes (which you can find in the announcements section).

Edit:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1869.0
Leaving a battle midway through when some enemy ships are retreating will result in the auto-resolve counting them as retreated instead of deployed
Now considers incoming damage and its likelihood to overload shields
Note: this greatly affects the balance of the Broadsword. Some example matchups with the new AI behvaior:
Assault Enforcer vs 3x Broadsword Wing: Enforcer wins with full hull and armor in good shape
Attack Medusa vs 3x Broadsword Wing: Medusa loses a tough fight (its armor isn't good enough, and a reliance on shields makes it weak vs the Broadswords)
Standard Lasher vs 1x Broadsword Wing: Lasher wins, but it's a tougher fight
Will turn to take incoming damage on intact armor when appropriate

Edit 2:
I believe #4 should be somewhat fixed (again in the patch notes).

As for the final thing I think that it might be harder to program than it's worth?  TBH I do the same thing, but I'd rather not have an exit prompt (as it is now) than have one added in.  Just my 2 cents anyway.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:46:06 AM by GankedToast »

Stormlock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »

Ah cool, I'll be sure to keep an eye on that from now on. Though I can still foresee #4 being a problem (Imagine having wasp drones attacking you while your lasers are locked on some heavily shielded assault cruisers, completely ignoring them.)

If the popup is more trouble than it's worth, I'd prefer it simply works the way the refit screen does anyways. I'm sure it'll throw a few people off right now, but that's better than having tons more people new to the game running off into battle without the fuel/supplies/crew they thought they'd bought once the game is actually finished. Should be an easy fix, it's just a matter of changing escape from being a hotkey for 'cancel' to a hotkey for 'confirm'.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »

Ah cool, I'll be sure to keep an eye on that from now on. Though I can still foresee #4 being a problem (Imagine having wasp drones attacking you while your lasers are locked on some heavily shielded assault cruisers, completely ignoring them.)

If you have PD weapons, they should always attack fighters before cruisers. I believe it's supposed to be something like missiles > fighters > ships, so unless you're using non-PD lasers it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Stormlock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:30:07 PM »

The specific situation was a capital ship with tactical lasers and and the mod to let them function as PD weapons. But I still think they should differentiate between different sizes of ship, not just missiles fighters and ships. There's a big difference between targetting another capital ship or targeting 6 different freighters and focusing down a single freighter at a time. You can manually control of course (assuming you don't want to fire your other weapons manually as well) but this makes the AI pretty ineffective in some situations where it should really have a huge advantage.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:59:09 PM »

Oh, and one more thing: autofire should prefer focusing on targets where possible, and smaller targets more than larger ones. Having all my lasers locked on to 3 different destroyers not even tickling their shields while 2 freighters dance around unloading missiles and bombs at closer range is really aggravating.
This one really bugs me with larger ships, even as small as a cruiser depending on setup... They spread their fire out way too much. I'm curious to see if the next release makes the turrets a bit smarter.

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 11:22:11 PM »

For the last one I dont really agree escape to me is the I dont want what I just did key, to change it to the same function as enter would really be annoying.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 11:25:08 PM »

Agreed. I would rather see the refit screen cancel-able with esc than esc meaning confirm.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Alrenous

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:25:01 AM »

If you turn autopilot on while your ship is flying onto the screen, it will automatically do most of the weapon autofire toggles for you.

In fact, I believe if you hit 'u' it will turn on autopilot even if your ship's not deployed yet.

The targeting thing annoys me a bit too. I've been fixing it by redirecting weapons manually - the autofire will hold the manual lock.