Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bounties and binary star systems  (Read 2652 times)

snicka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Bounties and binary star systems
« on: July 05, 2021, 10:58:21 PM »

[ The gameplay is modded, but i have seen such examples in pure vanilla ]

The bounty description reads "in a binary star system" while the only place with a gas giant is the one with two stars.

Is this intended? Am i interpreting the "binary" wrong? Is it non-binary when stars are closely clumped together, and not just in the same system screen?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Bounties and binary star systems
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 11:46:06 PM »

correct me if im wrong here (& the game might not account for this) but IIRC since a gas giant is a star that hasnt lit yet, if a gas giant is large enough & the star is small enough they can orbit eachother instead of the gas giant being captured in the star's orbit & in that case it is considered a binary system even though it only has 1 source of light coming out of it
edit: in fact, you can have a binary system made of two gas giants orbiting eachother, with no light coming out of the system https://imgur.com/a/IugIEcW
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:48:41 PM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 08:36:53 AM »

In game terms, a binary star involves two entities called either some variation of "adjective star" or "black hole". Gas giants are always considered planets.
Are you sure there is absolutely no gas giant or ice giant in that star system by checking it on the system planet list?

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 10:12:02 AM »

Generally I note that a binary system usually has the two stars named the same with different letters designations; that's what I look for if it's not totally obvious which stars belong where.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 10:28:21 AM »

Is this intended? Am i interpreting the "binary" wrong? Is it non-binary when stars are closely clumped together, and not just in the same system screen?

If you're in the system map, and there are two stars, then it's a binary.  If you're in the system map, and there's only one star (or three), it is not a binary.  Where the stars are located on the hyperspace map doesn't matter. 

Generally binary stars on the hyperspace map are closer together than isolated stars, but not always.  Given the way mapping from a system to hyperspace works, it's quite possible for a crowded system with two stars and many planets to have the stars be surprisingly far apart in hyperspace.  Conversely, two empty systems with a single jump point each can be very close together.  I've certainly been uncertain looking at the map and trying to figure out which ones actually share a system, and once in a while gotten it wrong.  Especially if the stars all have unique names.

Without seeing the system maps, I could not guarantee with 100% certainty which of those stars in the constellation are in binary.  Probably 95% certainty, but I've seen exceptions.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:30:11 AM by Hiruma Kai »

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 01:06:38 PM »

In case anyone cares about real life and this:
An ultrawide binary with a separation of 0.5 parsec (1.6 light-years) is statistically likely to break up within just 100 million years, while a slightly less extreme binary with separation around 0.1 pc (0.3 light-years) may survive for more than 1 billion years.

https://astronomy.com/magazine/ask-astro/2018/01/star-separation

snicka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 06:26:57 AM »

If you're in the system map, and there are two stars, then it's a binary.  If you're in the system map, and there's only one star (or three), it is not a binary.

The system map had two stars - though they were preeeeety far apart (yet still on the same system map). Maybe it is a problem in those cases?

I managed to make sure they were no gas giants in other systems, and even if they were, the actuall bounty was in this system.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 02:06:47 PM »

I could be misremembering, but isn't there a bit of text on mouseover of stars that says "X starsystem" that can be used to tell if things are binaries?

snicka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 02:36:15 PM »

I've double checked the save.

1) The system is labled as having stars A and B ( Gamma new Marmara nad Gamma new Marmara B),
2) Shows having two stars when opened in intel screen,
3) Is the only one in constelation with gas giant

Something seems to be wrong.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 02:37:58 PM by snicka »

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 02:54:48 PM »

Something seems to be wrong.

Can you tell us what you think is wrong?  That's what binary star systems look like in game and how they are described in missions.  Or am I missing a detail?

snicka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 03:00:34 PM »

Oh. OH. The thing which is wrong is me being an idiot. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Have a great day, and let me bury myself in shame meanwhile -.-