Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reverse engineering.  (Read 4390 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse engineering.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2021, 12:14:39 PM »

Perhaps an upgrade from Tech Mining to Tech Expeditions? That could be fun.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 12:49:34 PM »

This is a really, really interesting idea.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2021, 12:55:31 PM »

For extra interactivity, the player could get fleets from major factions causing some shenanigans when you mass tech-mine. Luddic Church being angry you are looking for techno satan, TT being angry you are stealing their Techno-Satan(tm), so on.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 01:09:40 PM »

How would pather interest be calculated then?
Perhaps make it only tech-mining-expedition one planet at a time and calculate the interest accordingly?
That would require a brand new UI to select target planet though.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 03:37:45 PM »

Clearly Stutopia is one of those people that can’t handle other peoples opinions haha. I made a point of saying that reverse engineering would cost millions to prevent any mid game wonkery and encourage finding them in the map first and using the reverse engineering as a last resort or if you really need something. There are all sorts of ways to make it “not easy” but I guess that doesn’t matter to some people haha

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2021, 06:11:26 AM »

Clearly Stutopia is one of those people that can’t handle other peoples opinions haha. I made a point of saying that reverse engineering would cost millions to prevent any mid game wonkery and encourage finding them in the map first and using the reverse engineering as a last resort or if you really need something. There are all sorts of ways to make it “not easy” but I guess that doesn’t matter to some people haha

Take a small read, won’t take you over 10 minutes.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/02/21/the-state-of-affairs/
If you still has something to say after knowing this is in clear violation of official lore, you should go to modding subforum and compete with Industrial Evolution.

And @Alex, please be specific about whether you’re supporting the reverse engineering or the Tech mining upgrade idea. I was defending for a post from you guys 10 years ago all the way. If you want to ditch your legacy, I’ll have nothing to defend for and happily drop the conversation.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2021, 08:39:19 AM »

I was responding specifically to this:
Alex, you could make tech-mining work similarly - instead of mining stuff locally, the player could get beacons from it and take them to planets with ruins and have tech-mining explore them in a similar manner as to how it currently works, but with added payment for exploring the ruins in depth, that scales with the distance from the closest tech mine and the hazard rating of the planet you want searched.

Clearly Stutopia is one of those people that can’t handle other peoples opinions haha. .
.. .
There are all sorts of ways to make it “not easy” but I guess that doesn’t matter to some people haha

Please refrain from personal attacks. Things can get a bit heated, but you can disagree and still be civil.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2021, 08:57:12 AM »

Alex, you could make tech-mining work similarly - instead of mining stuff locally, the player could get beacons from it and take them to planets with ruins and have tech-mining explore them in a similar manner as to how it currently works, but with added payment for exploring the ruins in depth, that scales with the distance from the closest tech mine and the hazard rating of the planet you want searched.

Clearly Stutopia is one of those people that can’t handle other peoples opinions haha. .
.. .
There are all sorts of ways to make it “not easy” but I guess that doesn’t matter to some people haha

Please refrain from personal attacks. Things can get a bit heated, but you can disagree and still be civil.

https://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/10/22/lore-spotlight-factions-and-worlds/
To recall some old text:
Secret tech-mining operations run by the Corporation can be found in the farthest reaches of the Sector.
Might we see outside the core worlds some tech-mining fleets from factions?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2021, 10:39:05 AM »

To recall some old text:
Secret tech-mining operations run by the Corporation can be found in the farthest reaches of the Sector.

Itd be really cool if you could find secret faction-owned markets (outposts, I suppose they'd be called) out in the frontier that you can't see until after you survey a planet, that have a single industry & no starport (the latter of which is what triggers it being hidden) & like ^2 or 3 population, that bc it has like 0 accessibility has to be resupplied by a small faction-owned smuggler fleet that disguises itself as an independent smuggler the way a pirate fleet can disguise itself as an independant fleet, until after it gets __ distance from the center of the sector core in hyperspace then it runs as its own faction with its transponder off to the market to fill its stockpile with goods to keep its stability up & ferries back to the sector core the goods that outpost produced, goes into "avoiding contact with ___" mode any time a fleet gets near it while in hyperspace & if it detects another fleet in the system the outpost is in it goes & sits on a hyperspace exit like a patrol or ambush does, if it gets approached whiled doing so it flees the system to go hide in another nearby system for a while before coming back & trying again. & if it gets discovered (at survey it rolls your fleet's sensor profile x the inverse of your reputation with that faction, or if you bother a smuggler fleet in-system too much, or if you raid it too much) they send a large undisguised relief fleet to the outpost to abandon it & return with all the people & supplies & products that it had
itd be really cool to find a secret mining outpost on a really high-class mining-rich planet, or a tech mine sitting full of techmine stuff if its been a while since it's been resupplied, or even a secret fuel producing station to challenge the diktat's fuel monopoly out where it wont find it, or even a pirate or independent light industry producing drugs, or even just a simple farming world where refugees from a faction fled to to live a peaceful life (iirc these would be called enclaves)

also @alex, a really good feature to go with the ability to reverse engineer ships using techmining would be it having a(?) blueprint as the input required for it, so theres a use for blueprints you dont want & duplicates, instead of just selling them. Also puts a natural barrier to reverse engineering so u cant race to ur first colony, build a techmine then get whatever ships u want immediately without ever needing to go explore or raid to do so. Circles the mechanic back around to either exploration or raiding, and thus a lot more combat just to get spare blueprints to use, on top of the combat to get the ships u want. Also justifies why everybody isnt doing it; most ships worth the effort of using up a blueprint for wouldnt be worth the effort of using the blueprints the faction is already using, especially when the faction has developed a fleet doctrine around the ships it already has. The Luddic church wouldnt want to use the mudskipper to get a paragon since it already has capital ships and its economy actually needs a shuttle, whereas the player might not have such compunctions
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2021, 10:56:00 AM »

.. .

To recall some old text:

Hum, actually, this could be more fun if coupled with some of the existing missions.
For example, help retrieve the result of tech mining from a far reaching system, but then you get to decide whether you want to betray and steal the results (at risk of getting hunted) or deliver it as the mission suggested. In some cases, help transport a few hundred dudes to a planet and help actually establish the said tech mining outposts.
Oh I see unlimited potential in this.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2021, 11:43:57 AM »

.. .

To recall some old text:

Hum, actually, this could be more fun if coupled with some of the existing missions.
For example, help retrieve the result of tech mining from a far reaching system, but then you get to decide whether you want to betray and steal the results (at risk of getting hunted) or deliver it as the mission suggested. In some cases, help transport a few hundred dudes to a planet and help actually establish the said tech mining outposts.
Oh I see unlimited potential in this.

Or just that sometimes you show up late and someone has already looted the place, Guardians of the Galaxy style.  Would be cool to also occasionally have it spawn the looter fleet so you still have an opportunity to recover the loot if you are packing enough heat (and/or blow a story point or two).  But definitely would be nice to occasionally KNOW where that pristine nanoforge is, since so much more of a pain to stumble across rare items now.  Plus, would give players a reason to revisit surveyed worlds with tech ruins... if not visiting for the first time.

But then again, would also be nice to have high enough contacts just straight buy Synchotron cores or nanoforges direct for MORE cash than open market (ie, no tariff at a minimum, and still maybe more than market price; or some sort of monthly payment forever even if you quit commission), and also guarantees that faction plugs the colony improvement in SOMEWHERE in the faction's space.  Really give player's another reason to either take the commission or not with some faction...
I wasn't always a Judge...
Pages: 1 [2]