Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Skill Changes, Part 1  (Read 29613 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Changes, Part 1
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2021, 03:07:20 PM »

That means if my old flagship explodes or retreats from battle, my pilot is still in the Radiant?  Nice!

Yep.

The car key flagship would be sub-five DP frigate who is not meant to fight in the first place.  (It could be the Shepherd I haul around as a campaign stat stick.)  After I deploy cheap frigate and Radiant, then swap to Radiant via Neural Link at the earliest opportunity, the frigate has done its job and I no longer need it in battle.

I am not using Neural Link to jump between two ships as needed and attempt tag-team shenanigans.  I am using it to make normally unplayable (and overpowered) AI ship playable.

Are you reading what I'm saying? :) If you want *any* other ships in the battle one of them might as well be the ship you hop to the Radiant from. You will get a stronger ship on the field that way since it'll have your characters all-elite skills rather than some officer. So the only reason this "car key" approach makes sense is if you intend to solo everything with the Radiant.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2021, 03:20:43 PM »

I guess if the original ship leaves, I cannot Neural Link to another, and... can it actually swap out of a neural link ship via command shuttle?  (If so, that is some advanced cloning-on-demand technology for the player to body surf, especially on a ship that cannot support human crew.)  I get that if the old flagship leaves, Neural Linking back is impossible.

I do not intend to solo the fight as Radiant.  I intend to stay in the Radiant for the rest of the battle without swapping into any other ship unless it dies in battle, battling alongside with the rest of my fleet.  (I already do this more often than not when I pilot any other capital, especially with Paragon or Ziggurat.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:24:54 PM by Megas »

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2021, 03:21:31 PM »

That means if my old flagship explodes or retreats from battle, my pilot is still in the Radiant?  Nice!

Yep.
So...you have a device that allows you to command a ship remotely through a neural interface, but even if your flagship is destroyed/retreated you can still remotely pilot that other ship? That sounds to me like you're able to keep playing a game even after your controller is broken/disconnected, how does that work? In universe, I mean, not mechanically.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2021, 03:44:02 PM »

i think the in universe explanation is "it would be a lot less cool if it worked differently" lol
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2021, 03:44:40 PM »

I guess if the original ship leaves, I cannot Neural Link to another, and... can it actually swap out of a neural link ship via command shuttle?  (If so, that is some advanced cloning-on-demand technology for the player to body surf, especially on a ship that cannot support human crew.)  I get that if the old flagship leaves, Neural Linking back is impossible.

If you swap out of the "linked" (but not original) ship the shuttle will take off from the original ship or its hulk. If neither is present (i.e. if it retreated, or the hulk drifted off the map) then it'll follow the standard thing it does when you "transfer command" without having your flagship deployed - it'll just fade in somewhere near the target ship and go there.

So...you have a device that allows you to command a ship remotely through a neural interface, but even if your flagship is destroyed/retreated you can still remotely pilot that other ship? That sounds to me like you're able to keep playing a game even after your controller is broken/disconnected, how does that work? In universe, I mean, not mechanically.

Use your imagination :D Backup power cells/autonomous power system for NI (those ordnance points get used for something), quantum coupling (or just transmission range that's greater than the size of the battlefield), and so on - the possibilities are many!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2021, 03:50:54 PM »

Ah, okay, makes sense.  (I have swapped ships after retreating my flagship before, so I understand.)

Undead

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2021, 04:03:11 PM »

I am still confused about this Elon Musks neuralink hullmod/skill, especially the "your ship is blown up but you still get to remotely pilot" part, but hey. At least I have chicken 30 OP operations center s-kite. (In the future update. I hope)

And what about those 2 unnamed industry skills? The one with the gun increases the number of shots like expanded magazines, I bet

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2021, 04:31:19 PM »

I am still confused about this Elon Musks neuralink hullmod/skill, especially the "your ship is blown up but you still get to remotely pilot" part, but hey. At least I have chicken 30 OP operations center s-kite. (In the future update. I hope)

And what about those 2 unnamed industry skills? The one with the gun increases the number of shots like expanded magazines, I bet

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Skills?oldid=15857

No. I assume it’ll at least have increased weapon HP as base effect, but not sure if there’s any other effects and don’t have an idea about elite.

Since industry is about enduring and recovering, I may assume it also comes with increased weapon repair speed?

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1408467120678227972?s=20

The other is called polarized armor. I would guess it has something to do with emp mitigation and/or minimum residual armor and/or maximum damage reduction for armor calculation.

Both are combat skills and are most likely defensive.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2021, 06:40:46 PM »

you know this made me realize that neurolink is going to be one of those skills/mods that gives in to capital creep bc the ability to neorolink between your favorite frigates is effectively worthless when compared to the ability to neurolink between capitals. like, my meta fleet screams out for something like neurolink; i like to run a lot of torpedo frigates, pilot one like a mad person until I've fired its racks empty then swap to a new one. There is literally not a single thing in the game that could improve that meta for me more than a skill that lets me swap instantly between frigates, if it werent for the fact that it has been made only useful for capital ship metas by being restricted to 1 ship. Maybe this'll be something I have to take up with a modder but if the hullmod scaled by hull size, like only 8 neurolink points allowed (not counting flagship) with hull sizes costing 1/2/4/8 neurolink points each, it would be perfect for me.
bc my actual favorite fleet of all is s-kite with operations center leading a fleet of a-kites with atropos that i swap to (idk if ive mentioned this before)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 08:09:17 PM by Deshara »
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

torbes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2021, 07:35:29 PM »

you know this made me realize that neurolink is going to be one of those skills/mods that gives in to capital creep bc the ability to neorolink between your favorite frigates is effectively worthless when compared to the ability to neurolink between capitals. like, my meta fleet screams out for something like neurolink; i like to run a lot of torpedo frigates, pilot one like a mad person until I've fired its racks empty then swap to a new one. There is literally not a single thing in the game that could improve that meta for me more than a skill that lets me swap instantly between frigates, if it werent for the fact that it has been made only useful for capital ship metas by being restricted to 1 ship. Maybe this'll be something I have to take up with a modder but if the hullmod scaled by hull size, like only 8 neurolink points allowed (not counting flagship) with hull sizes costing 1/2/4/8 neurolink points each, it would be perfect for me

this would be cool

atm you have to bring in reinforcement frigates as you retreat the depleted ones

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2021, 08:10:23 PM »

you know this made me realize that neurolink is going to be one of those skills/mods that gives in to capital creep bc the ability to neorolink between your favorite frigates is effectively worthless when compared to the ability to neurolink between capitals. like, my meta fleet screams out for something like neurolink; i like to run a lot of torpedo frigates, pilot one like a mad person until I've fired its racks empty then swap to a new one. There is literally not a single thing in the game that could improve that meta for me more than a skill that lets me swap instantly between frigates, if it werent for the fact that it has been made only useful for capital ship metas by being restricted to 1 ship. Maybe this'll be something I have to take up with a modder but if the hullmod scaled by hull size, like only 8 neurolink points allowed (not counting flagship) with hull sizes costing 1/2/4/8 neurolink points each, it would be perfect for me

this would be cool

atm you have to bring in reinforcement frigates as you retreat the depleted ones

theres a mod that makes that process much easier; its the automated commands mod & i make sure all my kite variants have the free "retreat when missiles are empty" hullmod on them & it makes piloting a strike frigate fleet so much nicer

edit: does noerolink mean it would theoretically be possible to have a ship a player can pilot with a special builtin hullmod that precludes it (or the fleet its in) from having neorolink, that splits into two ships that are nerolinked together so the player can control them as simultaneously as is possible, and/or maybe link back together into 1 ship? when are we getting a pair of auroras bolted together to make 1 symmetrical superaurora

edit edit: okay but for serious this time; what if the tempest had its 2 drones with 1 ir & pd laser replaced with 1 drone with 2 ir & 2 pd lasers with double the stats that's very slightly smaller than the smallest vanilla frigate & the tempest got a ship system that allows you (if ur piloting it) to hotswap between the tempest & its drone (& if ur not piloting it, it at least lets an AI officer give both their piloting skills and also their carrier skills to both ships)? What if we turned the tempest into a frigate-carrier that can benefit itself from its own carrier skills? The ship already feels like being bolted by your brain stem into a machine that outpaces the human capacity to pilot it, why not take that a little further & turn it into literally a pair of ships that literally exceeds the human capacity to pilot both at the same time?

edit edit edit: what if there was a destroyer/cruiser that's as bad at fighting as a gemini, whose Bit is that instead of mounting LRMs & fighters to keep it out of the fight, it slung a drone frigate on a launcher that it can use to deploy that frigate into an enemy's blindspot via a long ranged torpedo that passes over enemies as if they were friends until triggered to release the frigate that the player can then pilot until it dies/they recall themselves back to the deploying ship? And then that ship's ship system is termination sequence that allows it to, if it survives long enough after deployment, end its deployment by accelerating wildly & slamming into whatever is in front of it doing heavy damage in the process & sending player control back to the deploying ship

edit edit edit edit: what if there was a astral-like carrier designed around strike craft whose ship system deploys a drone that the pilot hotswaps into, & the drone's Bit is that instead of having (useful) guns itself all of the fighters under that carrier's command get locked into flying with the drone & the drone gains control of all of their guns as if they were turrets, with all of each fighter wing's guns being their own firing groups with duplicate wings getting lumped together?. And the drone's ship system is fighter recall which recalls itself back into the carrier along with the strike craft, returning the player to the carrier in the process? And by astral-like I mean what if the astral was that, instead of a slow RTS ship that u never have reason to actually helm, it is now a cool fast strike ship that lets you pilot 30 bombers at once

someone call the fire brigade, my brain is lit up rn
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 10:05:31 PM by Deshara »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 09, 2021, 12:21:07 AM »

How long does transfer take? If I can't have 2 Radiants, then deploying Paragon(or at least a Conquest) + Radiant seems optimal. But this wouldn't work if result of going far over 50 total DP for 2 ships is ridiculously long transfer.

Undead

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 09, 2021, 01:05:30 AM »

How long does transfer take? If I can't have 2 Radiants, then deploying Paragon(or at least a Conquest) + Radiant seems optimal. But this wouldn't work if result of going far over 50 total DP for 2 ships is ridiculously long transfer.

Somewhere in this thread Alex told that the upper time limit is 5 seconds

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 09, 2021, 03:13:34 AM »

Pairing up a bad ship and a good ship with Neural Link seems weird. If you have combat skills that encourage you to pilot good ships, why would your "clone" have any different priorities?
Does wolfpack tactics and other "all ships with officers" skills apply to neurolinked ship?

edit edit: okay but for serious this time; what if the tempest had its 2 drones with 1 ir & pd laser replaced with 1 drone with 2 ir & 2 pd lasers with double the stats that's very slightly smaller than the smallest vanilla frigate & the tempest got a ship system that allows you (if ur piloting it) to hotswap between the tempest & its drone (& if ur not piloting it, it at least lets an AI officer give both their piloting skills and also their carrier skills to both ships)? What if we turned the tempest into a frigate-carrier that can benefit itself from its own carrier skills? The ship already feels like being bolted by your brain stem into a machine that outpaces the human capacity to pilot it, why not take that a little further & turn it into literally a pair of ships that literally exceeds the human capacity to pilot both at the same time?
Terminator drone already benefits from fighter skills.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 09, 2021, 04:30:11 AM »

Pairing up a bad ship and a good ship with Neural Link seems weird. If you have combat skills that encourage you to pilot good ships, why would your "clone" have any different priorities?.
No, it's not to make a bad ship better. It's for using a bad ship to make a good ship even better.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16