Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Skill Changes, Part 1  (Read 29632 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Changes, Part 1
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2021, 07:49:05 AM »

I see the icon for Industrial Planning in the tier before the final tier with Hull Restoration, but I do not recognize the other two icons next to IP.
Makeshift Equipment and Containment Procedures icons, not that we know if names or effects have changed.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

rabbistern

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2021, 06:06:54 PM »

its great that neural uplink doesnt have to compete with the no-brainer skill of +1 smod, but i just dont see it being a top tier skill due to the CP limit...
1)
ill try to express my concern as short as possible, but basically, the skill is based on you having spent lots of CP in combat, and then lots in tech to get the skill itself, and then you have to spend op on your flagships to make use of the skill. so assuming you spend the largest chunk of your cp having a strong combat skill that would justify neural uplink, and on the tech tree, you will not have enough CP to boost your campaign-layer logistics in industry, nor enough for the best of the best, so this directly translates to making anaemic, op-starved ships and/of anaemic campaign stats. you dont have an extra smod to build in EO, and you dont have the CP to blow on industry to not need EO. and if you dont significantly invest in combat, then there isnt even that much of a point in going for NU over just a good officer no? imo the least this would need is being put on the lowest tier and be a free hullmod.
2)  not to mention the fact that the high speed ship switching would benefit you the most in superfrigate to DD dogfights where your hit and run and pincer attack and high speed low drag antics would justify the use of NU (and i very much would use it!) but its a top tier skill, and i dont think many people will still be in the frigate/destroyer heavy combat stage by the time you have the CP needed to get a top level skill.
i know it might seem stupid to critique something i couldnt try yet, but from the blogpost descriptions this just really bothers me and screams noobtrap

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2021, 06:21:25 PM »

if neural link doesnt allow you to control [redacted] i will riot
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2021, 08:10:24 PM »

its great that neural uplink doesnt have to compete with the no-brainer skill of +1 smod, but i just dont see it being a top tier skill due to the CP limit...
1)
ill try to express my concern as short as possible, but basically, the skill is based on you having spent lots of CP in combat, and then lots in tech to get the skill itself, and then you have to spend op on your flagships to make use of the skill. so assuming you spend the largest chunk of your cp having a strong combat skill that would justify neural uplink, and on the tech tree, you will not have enough CP to boost your campaign-layer logistics in industry, nor enough for the best of the best, so this directly translates to making anaemic, op-starved ships and/of anaemic campaign stats. you dont have an extra smod to build in EO, and you dont have the CP to blow on industry to not need EO. and if you dont significantly invest in combat, then there isnt even that much of a point in going for NU over just a good officer no? imo the least this would need is being put on the lowest tier and be a free hullmod.
2)  not to mention the fact that the high speed ship switching would benefit you the most in superfrigate to DD dogfights where your hit and run and pincer attack and high speed low drag antics would justify the use of NU (and i very much would use it!) but its a top tier skill, and i dont think many people will still be in the frigate/destroyer heavy combat stage by the time you have the CP needed to get a top level skill.
i know it might seem stupid to critique something i couldnt try yet, but from the blogpost descriptions this just really bothers me and screams noobtrap

Hmm - it *is* a new skill that's a radical departure from how other skills work, so it's possible that it'll be a bit off target! That said, I don't think what you're specifically concerned about will be a problem. Even if you did 100% need either EO or industry logistics skills, you could still do a 5 combat / 5 tech / 5 industry build and end up with 7-8 personal combat skills. (5 from combat, 1 from tech since you probably wouldn't want both GI and EWM, and 1 or 2 from industry; one of them is fairly armor focused so you may or may not want it.)

Re: #2, I don't see why switching would benefit you more in small ships. Even just tactically you might benefit more with larger ships because there are more impactful things to combine well. Consider also that you get more bang for your personal combat skills when the two ships that both benefit from the bonuses are larger. And from your piloting ability, too!

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2021, 08:28:38 PM »

Alex, a little hint on what you've done with the colony skills?  :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2021, 08:42:49 PM »

Alex, a little hint on what you've done with the colony skills?  :P
And, ah, re: all the colony talk: I'd like to keep any discussion of colony skill changes until part 2 is out!

:-X

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2021, 08:49:59 PM »

I called it, the colony overhaul's coming!
Otherwise, why would it need an entire blogpost?  ;D

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2021, 09:20:04 PM »

??? small thought; is neural uplink going to instantly from the ship you're leaving into the normal AI's hands with it picking what it wants to engage unless you manually set an engage/eliminate, or will it attempt to engage/eliminate whatever you had targeted while piloting it for a few seconds so that if you keep hot swapping neither ship will break from your targets just cuz the AI wouldnt want to target your target?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2021, 01:22:24 AM »

if neural link doesnt allow you to control [redacted] i will riot
Fear not!
This obviously synergizes very well with taking a bunch of Combat skills, so that both ships are great – it’s a multiplier on the return you get for Combat skills. I also had to make a decision about whether the Neural Interface hullmod would be able to be installed on automated ship, finally letting you pilot these yourself. On the one hand, this goes against the general idea of not having top-tier skills in the same aptitude work too well together. On the other hand, it’s just too cool not to do, so that won out.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2021, 05:39:53 AM »

I called it, the colony overhaul's coming!
Otherwise, why would it need an entire blogpost?  ;D
So, you are assuming that Part 2 is entirely about colony skills? I doubt that but we just have to wait.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2021, 05:45:13 AM »

The use case for Neural Link that comes to mind is disposable (or ECM/Nav buff) 3 DP shuttle flagship and Radiant.  Swap to Radiant immediately, let the original flagship die (or hide it in the corner), then pilot (maybe) overpowered Radiant for the rest of the battle.

Wish Guardian was recoverable.  Even with unlimited missiles, it seems no more overpowered than current 40 DP Radiant.  Plus, it is limited like Ziggurat, unless there are unlimited Guardian bounties from the bar.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 05:46:54 AM by Megas »

Undead

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2021, 06:50:42 AM »

3 DP shuttle flagship

But what about the droid attack on the wookies 2 DP mudskipper mk2?

Even with unlimited missiles

excuse me, whut
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 06:54:32 AM by Undead »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2021, 07:24:30 AM »

@ Undead:
Right, any cheap disposable ship.  The point is player only cares about piloting the Radiant, and the initial ship is merely the shuttle to neural link from.

Guardian has a built-in hullmod that periodically refills all missiles.  Basically a passive, unlimited, and flux-free version of Gryphon autoforge system that automatically procs every few seconds.  Guardian has plasma jets, so it can kite and lob missiles until its PPT runs out.  (But if not piloted by player, AI Guardian will be Fearless.)

Unless there are unlimited bar bounties for Guardians, Guardian is limited like... Legion14 last release without the blueprint (because no historian).  Probably should be another 60 or 75 DP ship like Ziggurat.  Currently, it might be only 40 DP like Radiant is now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 07:31:29 AM by Megas »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2021, 07:40:41 AM »

Question:  Given a fleet of two ships, Radiant and X.  X is the flagship, and Radiant is the ship player will Neural Link to.  If ship X dies but Radiant lives - basically only ships left alive after battle are automated, what happens?  Does player get shunted to Radiant as its new captain, or will it be a fleet wipe and respawn?

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2021, 08:20:10 AM »

I have a similar question too.
Given three ships all with Neural Interface: A (Flagship), B and C

Transfer from A to B, A and B receive bonuses. Then transfer to B to C, is it B and C with bonuses or is it A (Flagship) and C which get bonuses?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16