Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Where can i donate $$$ to Starsector development?  (Read 1267 times)

Unarmored

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Where can i donate $$$ to Starsector development?
« on: July 01, 2021, 10:41:03 PM »

Starsector needs a patreon. Just take my money Alex. Or do i just have to buy the game again a few times?

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Where can i donate $$$ to Starsector development?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 10:49:07 PM »

Yeah just buy the game for some friends.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 12:23:55 AM »

buy copies of the game, post somewhere offering to give the keys away for free. gives alex money, plus spreads word of mouth
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 09:16:31 AM »

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the thought! I mean, if you were to buy the game again, I certainly wouldn't complain :) But generally speaking, it doesn't feel right to take donations for what's ultimately a commercial enterprise, so that's why there's no Patreon or similar. If I really needed it, though...

... though I suppose there's different ways to approach that, for example, I could see having a Patreon sponsor more blog posts than usual, or some such ...

(Re: giveaways, just be aware that keys aren't "claimed" when they're used, so posting them publicly would not be a good idea.)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 09:28:56 AM »

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the thought! I mean, if you were to buy the game again, I certainly wouldn't complain :) But generally speaking, it doesn't feel right to take donations for what's ultimately a commercial enterprise, so that's why there's no Patreon or similar. If I really needed it, though...

... though I suppose there's different ways to approach that, for example, I could see having a Patreon sponsor more blog posts than usual, or some such ...

(Re: giveaways, just be aware that keys aren't "claimed" when they're used, so posting them publicly would not be a good idea.)
Looking forward to seeing the next one! Perhap we'll finally learn what Polarized Armor is and which skill enables such a thing as Neural Tranfer.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

snicka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 02:47:56 AM »

[ ... ] But generally speaking, it doesn't feel right to take donations for what's ultimately a commercial enterprise [ ... ]

1. Commercialy - many of us thought that the game we bought would entertain us for a few, maybe a dozen hours. In practice it is a common sight to have several dozen, or several hundreads hours clocked in over several iterations of the game, thus felling we got far more than the money's worth. From this perspective, you could also count continued forum replies, commentaries, develeoper feedback, customer support etc. as additional services - 18k posts and counting. It is also a given that more money equals (more-less) less worries, equals more of team's time saved, equals more starsector thingies for us to recive. Commercially sound.

2. Passionately - while starsector is your project, many of us share the passion and enthusiasm for it, and would gladly support it.

3. Practicaly - imo a good Patreon-esque, non intrusive game-wise and developer-control-wise option would be to set "donation bounties" for adding lore-friendly names to capitan name generation tables, or name generation tables for specific ships. Taking all of the above into considerations, i'd gladly throw a nice few bucks to get a chance for "snicka blasterflash" or to have a (rare) chance of encountering Hyperion class ISS "Nothing personal".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 02:49:52 AM by snicka »

Big Bee

• Commander
  • bugs are cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 06:10:43 AM »

seems like people just use that one youtuber's key anyway. at least they seem to be routinely told to do so on the subreddit