Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 23405 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2012, 07:19:28 AM »

Anyone got a link for a good graphics mod for it?

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 07:38:57 AM »

I use the Lazy Newb Pack, since it has two graphics mods, a friendly interface, and a bunch of other useful utilities.

Download the whole thing, it will include Dwarf Fortress, and just flip through to graphics and enable them.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 07:42:09 AM »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2012, 08:18:41 AM »

:o The pepole on this forum are nicer than what i thought :)

Thanks guys :)

UrbanGiraffe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »

Urist McApogeeCaptain cancels shoot pirate: Interrupted by unexpected DF thread.

Chittebengo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2012, 02:58:04 PM »

DF has always looked like such an amazing game, and can spend hours watching Let's Plays of it, but for the life of me I fail hard at city management style games like this and Sim City.  All the micromanaging eventually gets beyond what I can handle and still enjoy.  It stops being casual and fun for me.  Still, I think the game is awesome.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2012, 03:27:37 PM »

there's, really not that much micro to do once you get a good grasp of all the tools that are available to help you with managing everything.

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »

Yep.. really simple.

I dunno, I mean i tried to do stuff, but stuff just happened (invasions and crap.. or i just mined too deep) before I felt comfortable at responding to them, and everyone died. Either that, or a fell mood wanted bone or shell (allegedly) and they didnt like the stuff I had.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2012, 06:20:37 PM »

you don't really need to worry about invasions early on, as they don't bring along any building destroyers ( IME, anyway ) to knockdown your flimsy wooden doors. =P so if you get a self sufficient fort going, you can pretty much forget about the outside world until you get defenses ready. my usual defense strategy is a long 1 tile pathway that leads straight into 2 fortifications 19 tiles away that holds a full squad of markdorfs each that mow them down before they can leave the entrance way, with a box of ammo behind them.

for fell moods, i always make sure i can wall off any workshop incase i cant meet demands.

for digging too deep, just don't until your comfortable with your militarys level of preparedness, or dig upwards.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:23:54 PM by Catra »

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2012, 06:42:35 PM »

or dig upwards.
So... dig into the sky? :P

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 07:49:48 AM »

good grief.

got a good fortress going:

all the industries and stockpiles are setup for minimal travel time
peasants whose only job is to haul
a pretty hearty defense system (legendary iron weapon traps with master crafted bolts and 20 legendary markdorfs, a ballistae and 10 catapults) and danger room trained melee dorfs with full steel ( including shields :D )

then out of nowhere 2 pages of:

Urist mcimportantcrafter has been found dead, completely drained of blood.

followed by:

Urist mcnodrink has died of dehydration.
Urist mcnofood has died of starvation.

followed by:

Urist mcRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE is throwing a tantrum.
Urist mcguard : THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES!
Urist mchammerer: SERJGNIO4EWNM90T3JI40FKMESLPRMGKLDNBKEJRNVBLEJNHIUNGERSIOERGTFNIP4OW3HJ9GNOE5FS EIOUFNESUIOF *splat*

some vampires just want to see the mountain crumble. really gotta stop with the fancy single room design and just go with a massive dorm with guards to overwatch it all 24/7

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 07:53:08 AM »

Yeah, I too got vampires in ny fortress once.
I fixed it by having "purge patrols" who would kill Anyone and anything,that was behaving in a non-allowed way or was out late.

;D

UrbanGiraffe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2012, 02:45:18 PM »

I would recommend quarantining fresh immigrants after the fortress reaches a decent population. I usually atom smash the useless cheesemakers and such, and then interrogate each dwarf for signs of them being a vampire. If they're a tramp who's been to 74 other forts before immigrating, that's a sure sign. They also carry with them cute tokens of their kills, so if one has 600 +Dwarf Bone Earrings+, they're a vampire. If it's a recently cursed vampire, they may not yet follow these, though, so a starvation test usually settles it.

Fortresses with an overenthusiastic secret police have the tendency to collapse, especially if the vampire manages to frame someone else, such as Urist McLegendaryCookWho'sFriendsWithEveryone. I typically only keep a wimpy hammerer equipped with the junkiest weapon possible, as otherwise random craftsmen who fail mandates get their skulls liquefied.

Dorfs R Fun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 01:29:10 PM »

I've played Dwarf Fortress once or twice...... or a hundred times or so.

I found out about starfarer on the DF forums.

My current fort just survived the the great tantrum spiral of 405. 150 *** off dorfs rampaged until all but a dozen were left. The hardened survivors have seen and done things that should never be spoken of.

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 09:11:30 PM »

That's pretty much why I love Dwarf Fortress -- better stories (and Fun) than any game I've ever played. Most of the events end up being tragically hilarious, but hilarious nonetheless.

And the stuff you can build is just limitless.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5