Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 23500 times)

harperrb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 04:54:50 PM »

Dwarf fortress is the reason why I'm here.

My friend introduced me to DF years ago, and I've loved it since. Sil play out to this day, anticipating every release.  It was from this game that I grew a strong appreciation for indy, development games and literally stopped playing high production games as I realized their end goals were different.

Anyways, after that discovery, I constantly search and look out for new indy games in development. So I found Starfarer in such a search before SPAZ was released.  Before .31 or whether that was. I bought SF from the description of possibility over the demo of SPAZ that was to ggamey for my taste. Been RSSing the blog since.

Sorry for any spelling, errors: from phone.

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 06:57:02 PM »

Webcomics, and Dwarf Fortress? Next you guys will be telling me you MUD (like me) :D

jocan2003

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »

Well if you want to get into it, after 2 week of trying by myself i got tired and i went to youtube and started looking at tutorial, let's plays etc.

Also i REALLY suggest using the masterwork package in the mod section, there is a bunch of utilities that make the game MUCH more easy to play ( Management wise ) But really, get on youtube and start rolling these let's play or tutorial, once you get into it.... Better not have an appointement for the next days...

Vandala

• Admiral
  • We need ponies, ponies in spaceships!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 07:21:40 PM »

Also, dwarf therapist. Either that or hack your migrant rate.  ::)

Webcomics, and Dwarf Fortress? Next you guys will be telling me you MUD (like me) :D

What's MUD?

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »

Also, dwarf therapist. Either that or hack your migrant rate.  ::)

What's MUD?

Read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD

Then take a look at this. http://www.topmudsites.com/

My favorite is Armageddon, http://armageddon.org/
It's a RPI (role play intensive) game that takes place in a harsh desert environment. It's inspired a lot by books like Dune. It's permadeath, so if your PC dies, they stay dead. A lot of the players over there are into Dwarf Fortress =)
It's been around since 1991 and has a lot of depth to it. Such is the case for a lot of MUDs, though. If you're into Dwarf Fortress, you may want to try one out.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:00:55 PM by AgroFrizzy »

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 08:09:56 PM »

in my day MUD was dirt + water.. what has the world come to.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 08:24:14 PM »

in my day MUD was dirt + water.. what has the world come to.

MUDs have existed since 1987, before I was born...

Feel old? :P

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 08:31:02 PM »

I've never tried a MUD myself though I think I've seen one once, many years ago. Seem very interesting but I'm got enough to do as it is.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »

Sorry for not having played the cult classics, but what are the x games? You mean the X-COM games?

Nope though that series was brutal in difficulty as well.

I'm talking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X%C2%B3:_Reunion

I've only ever played X3 Reunion from that series and I've heard that it's kind of the downer of the series, nevertheless it's difficult to get into, so I don't even want to know the others from that series.

*facepalm*I've actully played x3 terran conflict. Game was actully good.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 10:59:06 PM »

DF? Been there done that.

Lots of FUN.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »

this was actually pretty hard for me for a while (had this game for what feels like ever lol ) ..

then i discovered i wasn't limited to mining the mountains, but also the ground outside the mountains, then everything took off as i no longer had to worry about food/drink again due to making vast farming areas. =P

so, starting up the fort, do you guys mine the mountain of all resources -then- proceed to make living / working / lounging areas for your dorfs? or do you just carve out rooms where things are going to go and then mine the resources?

Vandala

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 04:24:17 AM »

Everything is done in advance of when it will be needed.

Right from the start you pause the game and designate trees for cutting, plants for gathering, mine out a small spaces for living area's, sleeping quarters, farming grounds, etc. From there you just keep expending to cover what you will be needing for whatever industry you want to support for trade. And you can't forget about defenses while all this is happening, you need to build training rooms and equipment, recruit dwarfs and train them, find metals and smelt them to start producing better equipment. Also don't forget about building and placing traps everywhere, post guard animals, build secret entries, and death grinders for the eventual siege.

And then theres the mega projects you can do, like bringing down the entire mountain, building magma cannons and flooding the world with it, and all the good stuff from the HFS.

Dohon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 05:36:06 AM »

Bay 12, unite! No, seriously, Dwarf Fortress is an awesome game. Sadly enough, my free time is limited and I'm using that free time to play Starfarer. Dwarf Fortress sucks up hours like there is no tomorrow. But there is nothing like it. Using babies as shields? Butchering kittens for meat? Orbital Magma Cannon Mega Project?

FUN indeed.
Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! - Battlecry of the Salamanders, Space Marine Chapter, Warhammer 40.000. [...] for in the grim dark future there is only war.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 05:42:47 AM »

Wait, so what exactly can you do in dwarf fortress? And how does it look like when action finally starts?

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 05:47:33 AM »

Wait, so what exactly can you do in dwarf fortress? And how does it look like when action finally starts?

Pretty much anything? Imagine minecraft then multiply this features n times:

complexity, craftable items, minimalistic graphics, monster threat, survival dangers, projects scope.

Also you have to control the morale\duty\life\death\madness\growth\tantrums of a lot of super complex AIs.

It requires a PhD to understand but it's incredibly FUN to die in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5