Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Making the story start more obious  (Read 1081 times)

Its Maz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Making the story start more obious
« on: July 01, 2021, 10:52:14 AM »

Been lurking on the forums for quite a while, and active on the unofficial discord for just as long, and the amount of people you see who simply do not know how to progress the story is staggering, many ignore the blacksite extraction mission because at a glance it looks like any other mission.

A good solution would be to highlight it like the academy reminder/hint bar event, to make it more obvious its not just another regular old mission.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Making the story start more obious
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 02:05:53 PM »

I've been playing a long time, and I was basically done with a playthrough before I could figure out how to start the story.  Maybe if the story start was an intel event?  Once I was started it was pretty obvious how to do the story I found though.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 09:11:19 PM »

In my case, I knew where to start the story, but purposefully avoided starting it until my fleet was close to endgame strength because I suspected they would throw high-powered enemies after mine, and the only way to beat them (without possible frustration) is to have equal or greater firepower than theirs.  Some of the enemy fleets appear to be on par with 150k+ or 200k+ bounties.

If not for Ziggurat and Janus device, I would want to wait until endgame (strong enough to steamroll 250k+ bounties) to start the quest.  Even then, I am still tempted to wait until endgame.

As for finding stuff, I had the most frustration in the Law and Order segment with the League's archon.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 03:46:53 PM »

In my case, I knew where to start the story, but purposefully avoided starting it until my fleet was close to endgame strength because I suspected they would throw high-powered enemies after mine, and the only way to beat them (without possible frustration) is to have equal or greater firepower than theirs.  Some of the enemy fleets appear to be on par with 150k+ or 200k+ bounties.

If not for Ziggurat and Janus device, I would want to wait until endgame (strong enough to steamroll 250k+ bounties) to start the quest.  Even then, I am still tempted to wait until endgame.

As for finding stuff, I had the most frustration in the Law and Order segment with the League's archon.

Yeah, maybe an intel event to start the story once you hit a certain level?  Some of the fleets you run into can be pretty difficult to deal with if you're not kitted out or really know how to fight (or you can just burn a story point to avoid them :shrug:)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 06:52:34 PM »

For singling out the blacksite extraction, the description and the dialog option could probably have a highlight when you talk to Alviss-kun.
Although there still needs to be some indication that you should do enough of the other missions to unlock it, as well.

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 07:18:30 AM »

As much as I LOVE this game it doesn't do a great job in the story telling division. I find that it doesn't naturally draw me in, as in I find it easy to completely overlook almost all dialog. A typical JRPG style of 2 people "having a conversation" is very attention grabbing but that would be a huge rework. I don't know anyone else feel that way?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 07:22:48 AM »

A typical JRPG style of 2 people "having a conversation" is very attention grabbing but that would be a huge rework.
What do you mean?

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 07:37:24 AM »

A typical JRPG style of 2 people "having a conversation" is very attention grabbing but that would be a huge rework.
What do you mean?

Having your characters portrait talk to whoever the dialog is with while the words scroll out is more engaging and let’s you know it’s important. I find myself skipping pretty much all the dialog in this game and just looking at the numbers (in the dialog) as they are usually the only information I need. The fact that I’ve played this game for…. A tons of hours and know basically no lore (the majority of what I’ve learned is from the forums and such) speaks to the fact that it’s either easily avoidable or it’s not engaging? I would love to know more about the “world” but I just don’t.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 07:39:01 AM »

Ah, you want text to appear in parts. It should be enough to count as movement and movement catches human attention, so it might work.

AdmiralRem

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 07:45:28 AM »

Ah, you want text to appear in parts. It should be enough to count as movement and movement catches human attention, so it might work.

I think part of the problem is that I don’t know what’s important and what’s not.

Big Bee

• Commander
  • bugs are cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 08:44:13 AM »

oh yeah I missed the story the first time around cause the extraction mission looked like any other mission so I just never did it and stuck to 'find something in remnant system', 'scientist transport' and 'pirate trade' missions.