Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Separate Fleet and Officer skills  (Read 1552 times)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Separate Fleet and Officer skills
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 11:23:38 AM »

Combat is much stronger than some of you are giving it credit for. It is not as good as it was in 0.9.1a, I think, but it still supercharges the most powerful ship on the field: the one the player is piloting.

IMO each tree should give a roughly equal amount of piloted ship bonuses and fleet-wide bonuses. Pushing all (or nearly all) of the player-ship boosting skills into one tree means the player feels like their ship sucks if they put their points into the other trees.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=20854.0

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »

Combat is much stronger than some of you are giving it credit for. It is not as good as it was in 0.9.1a, I think, but it still supercharges the most powerful ship on the field: the one the player is piloting.

It definitly is strong. I'd allways choose Flagship skills before any other due the enormous advantage i get from these.

Pushing all (or nearly all) of the player-ship boosting skills into one tree means the player feels like their ship sucks if they put their points into the other trees.

The current situation doesn't improve it at all. I still have a strong "it sucks" feeling, when i think about the skills i can't have because they are in the other threes or next to another skill i have and need a bit more. It really sucks.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2021, 12:02:01 PM »

It's worse for warships, slightly better for carriers (the only carrier-specific skill is now in the combat tree, instead of leadership, and Systems Expertise helps out carriers with good systems) and much better for phase ships. The most annoying thing is that wrapping around is a thing that isn't even specific to any of those categories, but to specific ships instead (like Odyssey), since for majority of ships, unpicked skills are underwhelming-to-useless.

IMO each tree should give a roughly equal amount of piloted ship bonuses and fleet-wide bonuses. Pushing all (or nearly all) of the player-ship boosting skills into one tree means the player feels like their ship sucks if they put their points into the other trees.
This would have some far reaching consequences. How strong the flagship could get would be harder to determine, since you can't go for flagship skills only. Though, current flagship-buffing builds use fleetwides anyway (since even if only your flagship gets +20% flux, +1 s-mod or +20% damage and +120s PPT, those are still good buffs), so perhaps this wouldn't be such a big change.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 07:22:50 PM »

As a fleshing out of my idea.

All player skills have zero effect on your specific ship. They are universally Fleetwide, ship type specific, or strategic.

You choose a flagship, which is designated separately from officers. You are not treated as an officer.

Officers are the only source of the single ship combat bonuses. You can choose an officer captained ship as your flagship. This will result in you receiving the benefits of that officer while you fly that ship.

Flavour is that they are your second in command, or something similar.

Past that, let other fleets have an admiral, or overcaptain or w.e., with the same strategic skills you have. Puts you on potentially equal footing fleet vs fleet.

Alternatively, add a second skill point type.  When you level, get a fleet point and a combat point, with fleet points being used for the strategic skill, and combat being used for combat skills. Could split combat into two groups maybe, but keep them separate.

You get your powerful flagship, and fleet buffs, and don't have the tradeoff between the two.

Edit:
Before the skill overhaul, I made a simple ruleset for myself which largely resolved the problem, though it doesn't really work for the new system, I don't think.
You could only invest 1 + 2x points into any aptitude group, where X is the smallest number of points placed into any aptitude group. This meant I could focus on one group, but had to use them all. This restriction meant I always had combat skills, as well as some of everything else.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 10:08:23 AM by Ranakastrasz »
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire
Pages: 1 [2]