Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cruise is real?  (Read 1044 times)

qwerty4429

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Cruise is real?
« on: June 28, 2021, 02:01:39 PM »

Hey everyone! Just read the manual (was shocked it exists) about earlier game versions. It mentioned that you can "cruise" by not using engines after a speed boost, like maneuvering jets or shrike's plasma boost (or whatever).

It doesn't seem like you can do it anymore directly - just not pressing the keys still slows you after speed boost is gone. However, flameout retains all speed, so corner collision of Aurora with, say, Paragon, while using system and shield can trigger a flameout, and Aurora can bounce off at 250+ speed. So I wondered - can you reliably do this, or some other trick to travel the battlefield faster?

Flameout trick works with most speed-altering boosts, maybe except for burn drive.

Undead

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Cruise is real?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 04:39:16 PM »

Well, a well timed plasma burn on oddysey can take enemy frigates out of action... literally. Other than that cant think of reliable uses of 300 speed flameouts

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 06:12:52 PM »

Drifting was removed because it made it too easy to cheese the AI and it screwed with the intended balance of certain ships. For example, Onslaught could zip across the map at 300+ speed after using Burn Drive.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 03:08:11 PM »

Drifting was removed because it made it too easy to cheese the AI and it screwed with the intended balance of certain ships. For example, Onslaught could zip across the map at 300+ speed after using Burn Drive.

I guess we can't have TOO MUCH realism...
I wasn't always a Judge...

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 03:56:24 PM »

i've discussed this elsewhere but the speed limit in starsector is not unrealistic. It'd be unrealistic if ships couldn't accelerate infinitely without any drag, but they can. They just, don't. And it makes sense that they don't; we put speed limits and speed governors on and for almost every vehicle that we produce. We'd do it for space ships too. You don't want a hound to be able to singlehandedly annihilate a station it's trying to dock with just bc the accelerator pedal on the helm station got stuck & it accelerated nonstop until it collides going so fast it liquifies the whole station. And that's pretty explicitly noted in-game that this is what's going on by the fact that "safety overrides" increases your max speed, and the fact that ships whose engines have gone out can be accelerated infinitely & don't experience any drag. The engines are just programmed to brake the ship constantly if it goes over a speed difference of ___ with local objects.
Obviously it'd be handy for the purposes of wartime use for a ship to have no governor, but the thing is, military ships interact with friendly docks & the ships within its own fleets a lot more than it does the enemy, so any benefit gained from the removal of a governor would be far outweighed by the accidents it would cause.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

HUcast

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 04:26:21 PM »

i've discussed this elsewhere but the speed limit in starsector is not unrealistic. It'd be unrealistic if ships couldn't accelerate infinitely without any drag, but they can. They just, don't. And it makes sense that they don't; we put speed limits and speed governors on and for almost every vehicle that we produce. We'd do it for space ships too. You don't want a hound to be able to singlehandedly annihilate a station it's trying to dock with just bc the accelerator pedal on the helm station got stuck & it accelerated nonstop until it collides going so fast it liquifies the whole station. And that's pretty explicitly noted in-game that this is what's going on by the fact that "safety overrides" increases your max speed, and the fact that ships whose engines have gone out can be accelerated infinitely & don't experience any drag. The engines are just programmed to brake the ship constantly if it goes over a speed difference of ___ with local objects.
Obviously it'd be handy for the purposes of wartime use for a ship to have no governor, but the thing is, military ships interact with friendly docks & the ships within its own fleets a lot more than it does the enemy, so any benefit gained from the removal of a governor would be far outweighed by the accidents it would cause.

You can't say that's completely realistic, either. Why are some frigates faster than others by base design despite having roughly the same collision risk? Obviously militaries would set the setting to the highest they legally could. Why does the onslaught need massive extra boost drives to obtain the additional speed when all it needed to do was slightly up the speed limiter according to your explanation? Also, zooming thing up to near light and hitting things with them is small time in terms of damage compared to what other weapons do. The plasma cannon for example shoots contained mini universe anomalies at other ships.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 04:32:52 PM »

You can't say that's completely realistic, either. Why are some frigates faster than others by base design despite having roughly the same collision risk?

a ship with stronger engines can reduce its momentum faster and thus is allowed a higher top speed by the governor, a ship with weaker engines can't reduce its momentum as fast. You'd tune an atlas to be far slower in local space than a hound bc an atlas would take way, way longer to slow down.

Obviously militaries would set the setting to the highest they legally could.

they do, its called Safety Overrides.

Also, zooming thing up to near light and hitting things with them is small time in terms of damage compared to what other weapons do. The plasma cannon for example shoots contained mini universe anomalies at other ships.

right but ships aren't firing off their plasma cannons every time they dock. They are, however, using their engines every time they dock. So the chances of a component failure causing a gun to get stuck firing is way less likely outside of a combat scenario than the engines getting stuck
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then