Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.95a-RC15] Slow fades when going to/coming from hyperspace - Linux  (Read 1034 times)

CrayonPod

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hi,

I run Starsector on Fedora Linux 33. This works fine on my HP laptop running Ryzen but on my desktop with a Ryzen 9 3900X and Radeon 5600XT screen fades are very slow and choppy. Not sure how to troubleshoot this one, as  both the laptop and desktop run the same OS (Fedora 33).

The differences between both machines are CPU/GPU/RAM and I can't go & slap parts between both to pinpoint the issue, are there known issue's such as this? Suggestions?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a-RC15] Slow fades when going to/coming from hyperspace - Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 10:45:37 AM »

Hi - sorry about the trouble!

This looks like the same issue as here:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17640.msg324865#msg324865

It appears to be a driver issue, but there's a workaround - you can open up data/config/settings.json, and change:
"uiFadeSpeedMult":1,
to:
"uiFadeSpeedMult":1000,

And that'll cut out the fade transitions where the slowdown happens. At least, I'm assuming you also get slow fades when interacting with planets etc! I'm not actually sure that this fix will help in the case of the hyperspace transition, though it might do.

CrayonPod

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 11:12:21 AM »

I tried both settings (uiFadeSpeedMult & enableUIStaticNoise) but it still occurs, if you want I can do a screen capture and upload it on YT or something to show you where it occurs, perhaps we could also file a bug on mesa (the OGL driver guys), but I think that might be more up your sleeve as I know little to nothing about OLG coding, at least you could explain the issue, as in which function(s) are used.

Edit: Seems someone already reported a bug, maybe the info there is useful for you:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/1265
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 11:21:01 AM by CrayonPod »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 12:18:23 PM »

I'm not sure it's worth bumping that thread. (FWIW, I did fix the one errant glBlendFunc call in the current release of Starsector, and that doesn't appear to have made any difference.)

I'm not sure I'm clear on what's actually happening on your end, then. Are you getting slowdown *just* going into hyperspace, or in regular menu fade transitions such as when interacting with a colony? If it's the latter, it's hard to see how setting uiFadeSpeedMult higher wouldn't help, since it basically eliminates that transition, hmm. If it's not too much trouble, then seeing what you're seeing might help, yeah - though offhand I'm not sure what else I might be able to suggest.

CrayonPod

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 02:28:28 AM »

I've done a sreen recording withuiFadeSpeedMult both set to 1 and 1000: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdTkjzMvgSQ, don't mind all the red in the .json file, seems comments are high lighted with red in the default text editor :) I've not really noticed any slowdowns in  menu's etc compared to going to/coming from hyperspace, if there are slowdowns in other screens. they are much less  noticeable.

If you need anything else, debug output or stuff like that, do not hesitate to ask :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 09:10:18 AM »

Thank you!

... huh. I don't know what to suggest, honestly. It does *not* seem to be the exact same issue as in the thread I originally linked, though. Ahh, just not sure what else you might try - other than, if it's an option, an entirely different set of graphics drivers?

CrayonPod

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 03:34:07 PM »

Hmmm, I can take a look at it, dunno if the amdgpupro driver is supported on my system though. I was planning on getting a better GPU too, but yeah, with current markets, not a lot of luck with that so far :D
Maybe Zink would be an option, need to read up on how to use that thing

dreamdancer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 03:24:01 AM »

Maybe Zink would be an option, need to read up on how to use that thing

I'm getting much better performance with Zink, it's trivial to enable if it's included with your installed drivers:

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=21797.0

With the default Radeon driver, I also had choppy transitions (not as bad as yours).

CrayonPod

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 08:46:35 AM »

Just checked, mesa version 20.3.5 with Zink, no slowdowns but some other ogl weirdness, need to see if I can switch to newer mesa or upgrade to Fedora 34

CrayonPod

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 03:45:02 AM »

I can confirm MESA21 with zink is a working work-around, so all's well in the world once again :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 10:05:47 AM »

Nice!