Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Superweapons Arsenal v2.5b Storms are coming!  (Read 272801 times)

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Superweapons Arsenal v1.8 Big Changes!
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2021, 05:54:22 AM »

Cheer!  Do I understand correctly that you need to start a new game for a new weapon to appear? Or could it appear in unexplored caches?
You don't need to start a new game.
^^

Valikdu

• Lieutenant
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2021, 11:00:25 AM »

You can't just blow a hole into the surface of Mars.
My Dwarf Fortress Mod: DESOLATION 1.5
My Channel: V. S. Cosplay

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2021, 11:22:26 AM »

You can't just blow a hole into the surface of Mars.
Yes i can, and i will use the Cluster Torpedo for it.
^^

phonon5891

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2021, 07:42:41 AM »

Started a new run with the latest version (v1.8 ), and am happy to report that superweapons are actually dropping from stations/caches now. I've explored ~60% of the sector, and so far have found one BFG and one phalanx, which IMO is a sensible enough drop rate. Thanks for listening to the feedback!

Speaking of feedback: instead of the current implementation, how about having the BFG AOE be a damaging plasma cloud that persists for a while after the projectile connects or reaches max range? The BFG projectile already looks like a gargantuan ball of green superheated plasma, so this kinda fits its image already -- I imagine that much energy will still be dangerous even after it connects.

The reason I thought of this: after trying it for a few large-ish (>250) fleet battles, I swapped the BFG out for the phalanx and didn't look back. Yes, it's powerful (~5x the raw damage of each phalanx shot), but that's all it has going for it. Unmodded, the BFG shot is quite slow, so it can be avoided even by sufficiently nimble cruisers. The AOE effect doesn't feel that good either, as it's usually too weak to affect shielded cruisers much, and most frigates can exit the AOE quickly enough to minimize damage. The 30s cooldown also makes every missed shot that much more painful. But even if you connect, since the AOE effect disappears with the projectile, most of the time the BFG shot just gets used to overload enemy shields, after which you need to use other weapons -- or other ships -- to exploit that overload. (phalanx solves this by being a two-shot -- if the first one pops the shield, the second impacts hull, so you exploit without having to wait for the cooldown or depend on other weapons.)

I tried to mitigate some of these weaknesses by using hullmods that boost projectile speed, but that's also a double-edged sword: it helps with hit rate, but since the projectile moves faster it makes the current AOE far less useful as enemies stay in the AOE for far less time.

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2021, 08:50:14 AM »

Thank you for your feedback!
One of the main design philosophy behind the BFG is to counter fleets that likes to spam Frigates and Fighters (Ludic Church and Remnants are a good example), while the Phalanx offers more damage overall it has less AoE and doesn't quite clear the entire screen from all of those pesky fighters, best part is that 1 BFG is enough for any fleet while you may need more instances of other weapons to create a functional build.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 08:59:06 AM by Mira Lendin »
^^

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2021, 04:49:48 PM »

v1.8 is out with many changes!
Please make sure to delete any previous version before updating your mod folder.

Download

Oh, nice, Photon Lens is actually symmetrical now. I hope in time all the models gets in line with vanilla ones (look-wise), for example I find Positron Lens an extreme outlier.
Thanks for listening to suggestions/complaints.
Black Hole changes: um, Sunders are killing themselves now. Before they couldn't fire it without damaging themselves but now it's way worse. Please don't make them disposable black hole platforms.
Very rarely a hull mod pops up on ships equipped with a Reflective Shield which explains why shield upkeep is increased by 200%. Given how stupid op that module is, I guess that's the intended behavior?
May I suggest to change EM Railgun's description? I get what you mean by "projectile pierces all targets", but that's ambiguous, what really happens is that the projectile deals damage to every target in its trajectory.
Can you do something about wide sprites -like Plasma Storm- clipping?

ps. I take all back regarding balance. Super complicated build of dual PS and a RS (that's it) on a Paragon deletes anything up to Conquests in a single press of a button. Others may require refiring while target is overloaded.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2021, 06:06:39 PM »

Oh, nice, Photon Lens is actually symmetrical now. I hope in time all the models gets in line with vanilla ones (look-wise), for example I find Positron Lens an extreme outlier.
Thanks for listening to suggestions/complaints.
Black Hole changes: um, Sunders are killing themselves now. Before they couldn't fire it without damaging themselves but now it's way worse. Please don't make them disposable black hole platforms.
Very rarely a hull mod pops up on ships equipped with a Reflective Shield which explains why shield upkeep is increased by 200%. Given how stupid op that module is, I guess that's the intended behavior?
May I suggest to change EM Railgun's description? I get what you mean by "projectile pierces all targets", but that's ambiguous, what really happens is that the projectile deals damage to every target in its trajectory.
Can you do something about wide sprites -like Plasma Storm- clipping?
ps. I take all back regarding balance. Super complicated build of dual PS and a RS (that's it) on a Paragon deletes anything up to Conquests in a single press of a button. Others may require refiring while target is overloaded.
-I don't think you should mount one of the rarest and most expensive weapons in the game to a cruiser and expect things to go well, i don't want people to mount Superweapons on smaller ships and get away with it, It's normal to have a powerful weapon with a risky use case that only capital ships would handle.
-The reflective shield hullmod is always added if the weapon installation conditions are met (sometimes it doesn't show up and i am sure this is a bug), it still applies it's effect regardless so all good (the reflection effect is linked with the hullmod and not the weapon).
-I think that the EM railgun description perfectly fits it's function, saying that the projectile deals damage to every target in its trajectory doesn't give you a hint that it would pierce anything and rather would feel like the BFG.
-Nice Paragon build, an expected outcome with 2 Plasma Storms, it's the 3rd rarest weapon in this pack :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 06:08:39 PM by Mira Lendin »
^^

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2021, 05:18:09 AM »

Hi Mira,
There's a problem with your version checker URI: https://drive.google.com/u/4/uc?id=1dbx-oOyFxy6l2ECLHqNtWg5kBW3lXBo7&export=download
You have `u/4/` in it, which tells Google to use 5th logged in account (count start at 0) to access the file. There's none when using Version Checker (or CLI), and as such it will fail.
Correct link should be: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1dbx-oOyFxy6l2ECLHqNtWg5kBW3lXBo7&export=download
Love the weapons :)

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2021, 09:11:35 AM »

Hi Mira,
There's a problem with your version checker URI: https://drive.google.com/u/4/uc?id=1dbx-oOyFxy6l2ECLHqNtWg5kBW3lXBo7&export=download
You have `u/4/` in it, which tells Google to use 5th logged in account (count start at 0) to access the file. There's none when using Version Checker (or CLI), and as such it will fail.
Correct link should be: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1dbx-oOyFxy6l2ECLHqNtWg5kBW3lXBo7&export=download
Love the weapons :)
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, fixed!
^^

NukesRfun21

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Superweapons Arsenal v1.8a Big Changes!
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2021, 04:13:14 AM »

Would there be anyway for [REDACTED] ships to use these weapons naturally? I like the idea of [REDACTED] having access to pre-collapse superweapons.

I also hate myself and wish to inflict pain.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2021, 02:15:16 PM »

That wouldn't work  well.

1. For lore reasons... since [REDACTED] is more  a post-collapse thing.

2. Many of the weapons wouldn't work well with an AI, for example the cluster torpedo you can just  suicide yourself with it. Or the railgun is just waste of flux if you shoot as soon enemy come in range (and this is exactly what the AI does).

canned Tomatoes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2021, 02:52:38 PM »

That wouldn't work  well.

1. For lore reasons... since [REDACTED] is more  a post-collapse thing.

2. Many of the weapons wouldn't work well with an AI, for example the cluster torpedo you can just  suicide yourself with it. Or the railgun is just waste of flux if you shoot as soon enemy come in range (and this is exactly what the AI does).
It wouldn't work with the [REDACTED] getting general access to the weapons, I agree on that.
But that could be a pretty good way to implement special bounty fleets, that pop up every now and then, that carry those weapons.
You just need to find builds that don't crush the player fleet.

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2021, 03:08:38 PM »

I have planned few bounty missions for this mod, they will require Vayra's Sector to spawn (running it will be optional), Right now Vayra's Sector is not updated but i can still release these missions for people who are running the bootleg version.
^^

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Superweapons Arsenal v1.9 Light Show
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2021, 09:43:06 AM »

v1.9 is out! With a new weapon as usual
Please make sure to delete any previous version before updating your mod folder.

Download
^^

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Superweapons Arsenal v1.9 Light Show
« Reply #119 on: October 15, 2021, 03:50:28 AM »

v1.9 is out! With a new weapon as usual

Download
I don't like this update.
Can you keep at least the previous version accessible all the time in case an update breaks the game like now?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35