Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Superweapons Arsenal v2.5b Storms are coming!  (Read 272704 times)

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Superweapons Arsenal v1.7b Black Holes
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2021, 08:24:15 PM »

1 - Well, it works, thanks for letting me have it  :)
Spoiler
[close]

2 - Is Photon Lens developed by dota 2 alchemist? I had just realized it got Unstable Concoction SE haha
Nice weapon hehe.
if you mean "Positron Lens" then yes, it has the same sound effect as unstable Concoction ^^
^^

phonon5891

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2021, 05:18:48 AM »

Just an update on my experiences with this mod. Up to ~10 playthroughs now. In the last 5 playthroughs, I only found 2 superweapons *ever*, both MX Gauss cannons, and both were bought from Prism. No natural drop from derelicts, stations, etc after dozens of hours. On one playthrough I force updated prism market multiple times to find one; nothing after 50+ forced updates. Still on 1.7a because the 1.7b changelog indicates it would have just made the rarity problem even worse.

I think what Szasz mentioned in one of their posts is a significant factor here: rare weapons from other mods compete with superweapons, so when you play with a good amount of mods with weapons, it has the unintended effect of making superweapons rarity even worse. And I'm not even using *that* many (~40, of which there are maybe ~20 with weapons). Getting omega weapons is easier, because you can get them from alpha site, doritos, or (if you have nex) rare interactions at prism. I know you're aiming for "satisfaction when you finally get one" but at this point the disappointment and frustration of having nothing to show after clearing out hundreds of ruins, derelicts and stations FAR outweighs any potential satisfaction I might have got from a nonexistent superweapon.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 05:33:51 AM by phonon5891 »

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2021, 10:00:08 AM »

On one playthrough I force updated prism market multiple times to find one; nothing after 50+ forced updates.

At that point you might as well just give yourself the weapon since you're using console commands anyway.

Personally I don't mind the rarity much, even though I never really find any superweapons outside of Prism either.
I'd rather have them almost unique and keep them hilariously OP than make them easier to acquire, which would inevitably lead to the usual complaints about balance and demands to nerf them.

phonon5891

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2021, 05:53:43 PM »

At that point you might as well just give yourself the weapon since you're using console commands anyway.

Personally I don't mind the rarity much, even though I never really find any superweapons outside of Prism either.
I'd rather have them almost unique and keep them hilariously OP than make them easier to acquire, which would inevitably lead to the usual complaints about balance and demands to nerf them.

I did the forcemarketupdate thing after a long play session, and didn't save afterwards -- I just wanted to get a feel on how rare the superweapons were: are they really that rare or did I just keep missing them when they spawn at prism. My test indicated the former, and it seems much worse than I anticipated. I mean, 50 market updates = 50 months ~= 4 cycles, and not a single superweapon.

So yeah, at this point I have decided to just console-command myself one non-nuke superweapon when I reach max level, and not to even bother with derelicts/ruins (for purposes of getting a superweapon).

The thing is that while they're powerful, most superweapons are not "hilariously" OP (with the exception of nuke "lol I win" missile and black hole, which I haven't tried. The former's spawn rate has already been mega-nerfed btw), in the sense that most are about the same level (or slightly higher) as omega weapons in terms of power/usability, and one is actually less powerful (prism laser -- nice stats on paper, but in my experience somewhat underperforms in combat). However, they ARE ridiculously rare -- much more so than omega weapons. Which means that any ridiculous calls for a nerf is just that -- ridiculous.

What I feel the mod needs right now is a more consistent way to ensure the player gets *something* per run. Perhaps via a mission/interaction (like nex), or semi-random derelict (like ARC ships, found only around neutron stars). Maybe make it that you need to be max level before you can safely get it (or risk it blowing up, like IndEvo item events). Maybe make it a choice, pick one out of a few superweapons (non-nuke?). But as it is there is an uncomfortably high chance of not encountering any superweapon *at all* in any given run, *especially* if you run mods with weapons.

SneakyDevil

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2021, 05:07:20 AM »

Oh god, I came here to post about my own troubles finding one to the point I thought there was a bug causing them to not spawn only to find out that, no that's the intended feature.

Welp. I guess I'll cheat them in cause I haven't found a superweapon since I installed this mod in July.

I wholeheartedly support some guaranteed way to find them even if it's something I have to jump through an excessive number of hoops for.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Superweapons Arsenal v1.8 Big Changes!
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2021, 04:43:21 PM »

v1.8 is out with many changes!

Looks like you made them a lot more common with some minor nerfs.
Not sure how I feel about that but I suppose it'll balance itself out over time.

Any particular reason why you're so adamant about removing them from Prism?

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2021, 05:00:01 PM »

People asked for this, and i do agree with them as this change incentivizes exploration.
^^

brm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2021, 09:36:04 PM »

People asked for this, and i do agree with them as this change incentivizes exploration.

It is probably for the best. While they are incredibly fun weapons to use, and make a nice addition, since they're balanced so much higher than most of the game's weapons the rarity helps.

Especially since finding one can change the entire dynamic of your fleet. I remember finding just a Tartarus and having a gryphon with it with a missile spec officer, and it did absurdly well at killing things... anything.

That's one superweapon that makes for a permanent addition (most likely) to your fleet's equipment that you won't replace.

Being rare is good.

Mrshilka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2021, 01:32:21 AM »

Thanks for the mod, I do love the weapons.
I am a little worried to see them removed from Prism, since in around 20 games I have yet to see one of these weapons come from a weapons cache and only ever got them from Prism, here is hoping the rarity changes fix that.

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2021, 05:02:55 AM »

Thanks for the mod, I do love the weapons.
I am a little worried to see them removed from Prism, since in around 20 games I have yet to see one of these weapons come from a weapons cache and only ever got them from Prism, here is hoping the rarity changes fix that.
Don't worry, Exploration is not going to be the "only" way to obtain these weapons in the near future, i will be adding some unique bounties where you get a chance to fight and reclaim some of then for yourself.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 06:29:40 AM by Mira Lendin »
^^

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2021, 03:04:59 AM »

They did?
As far as I can tell the main issue wasn't the fact that superweapons could be bought at Prism, it was that they could only be found there due to their drop rates.
The special bounties you seem to have planned sound like a good option though.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2021, 09:18:13 AM »

They did?
As far as I can tell the main issue wasn't the fact that superweapons could be bought at Prism, it was that they could only be found there due to their drop rates.

If you're rocking a serious mod collection like most of us hardcore addicts do, the loot pool is severely diluted by all of the other factions. 

Ideally there would be some way of programmatically evaluating the loot pool and then setting the drop rate for the super weapons to be such that you have the same chance of finding them in a vanilla play through as you do in a fully modded play through. 

NaranNarman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2021, 09:53:28 AM »

First of all, love the new update! I can't wait to try that sexy bfg. However, it did make me sad to see my favorite superweapon get nerfed in terms of range(can I manually change it back somehow?) but overall, I like the update. Keep up the good work!

Mira Lendin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 30, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »

Ideally there would be some way of programmatically evaluating the loot pool and then setting the drop rate for the super weapons to be such that you have the same chance of finding them in a vanilla play through as you do in a fully modded play through.
If someone has chosen to run a new mod alongside many others, he is also choosing to allocate some of his loot for the stuff offered by that mod, ideally Superweapons are supposed to have a "unique" and "exclusive" way of obtaining them, i am talking something similar to prime ships in Aprolight (Parts oriented), i have always wanted a similar system in my mod but coding it would be nightmarish.
^^

Burminsky

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2021, 02:42:57 AM »

Cheer!  Do I understand correctly that you need to start a new game for a new weapon to appear? Or could it appear in unexplored caches?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35