Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you have a preferred flagship role?  (Read 4386 times)

Marco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Do you have a preferred flagship role?
« on: June 22, 2021, 07:03:31 AM »

Mine is the siege engine or artillery piece. I like to sit back and offer fire support to the mainline via massive damage strikes on juicy targets. In Starsector that usually means modded ships, but not always. A Paragon with a bunch of tach lances can do the job nicely.

I'd like to try a dedicated missile spammer but it seems like even the modders shy away from making something that vomits a million missiles across the map.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have a preferred flagship role?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 07:17:41 AM »

I'd like to try a dedicated missile spammer but it seems like even the modders shy away from making something that vomits a million missiles across the map.
Check out my Midline Expansion mod. It's not a million missiles, but it's a decent amount (1 large mount, four medium mounts, and two small mounts, plus a ship system that restocks them).

Marco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 07:22:29 AM »

Check out my Midline Expansion mod. It's not a million missiles, but it's a decent amount (1 large mount, four medium mounts, and two small mounts, plus a ship system that restocks them).

I'd like a full-on Paragon level of missile spamming capital. Even a supercapital.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 07:31:11 AM »

I don't think that'd be possible to balance. As is, the Ptero is "hold left and mash F to delete." Mostly because medium missiles tend to be limited by ammo, rather than lack of power.

To return the tangent to origin: I person prefer not to have a flagship, but I do tend to use my Ptero (publicly still called Harrier), because it's simple to use and the AI can be quite stingy with the missiles if you don't set up your weapon groups right.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 07:43:18 AM »

light, manueverable, effectively incapable of fighting anything its size class or up with its gun(s?), 2 or more missile racks to be combined with EMR & missile specialization & dual torpedo racks so it can hammer into dust anything it gets an opening on. In vanilla that's basically only the A-Kite (bigger ships only ever EITHER get proportionally slower or proportionally bigger/fewer missile racks, no vanilla ship gets bigger, as fast & more small missile racks), if Imperium EVER GETS UPDATED that's the Dictator class destroyer (I'm getting really close to just asking someone how to rip that ship out of the mod, I don't even want the rest of it just that 1 ship so I can pilot it lmfao). I'd use the Gryphon like that, but its ship system only really works with its large missile slot and/or LRM's, using it with small torpedoes feels like a waste. Also it's just not maneuverable enough for performing strikes on temporarily disabled capitals. If there were a P-Gryphon whose large missile slot is traded for a medium & its two side facing hardmounts (which I like on the gryphon when using it as-intended, tbf) traded for turrets and was faster, or god forbid a LP-Gryphon with all small missiles, safety overrides & ill-advised modifications and a changed ship system more useful for torp strikes, I'd use that as my flagship.
As-is, base-game, it's always an A-Kite. It's just too much fun, taking a frigate and pulverizing an onslaught into dust
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Marco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 07:57:37 AM »

light, manueverable, effectively incapable of fighting anything its size class or up with its gun(s?)

I've seen people using frigates to solo capitals and even starbases(helmut is godly with a HyperionExcelsior), but I just don't have the patience and skill to do that. I usually fly the biggest or one of the biggest ships I can get simply because it allows me to make mistakes without getting oneshotted by a rando torpedo.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:01:45 AM by Marco »

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 08:00:19 AM »

I don't always fly, but when I do, I prefer an SO Hammerhead. High Speed Low Drag, my friends.

Otherwise I use my fleet commander as a steady autopilot officer.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 08:16:39 AM »

Depends a lot on my playthrough and what I am role playing as but usually frigates. Since Shadowyards is always installed for any playthrough I tend to fly an Enlil for extended periods, so I'm not even talking hyper frigates.
Sometimes I take a Monitor and let my fleet do most of the work, another time I really enjoyed flying a Tigershark with lances in a cruiser-heavy fleet.
As you can see, I'm not really the super competative player, I rather enjoy telling myself a good story, playing within certain limits and I prefer looks over effectiveness
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:26:27 AM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 08:36:24 AM »

Fast Response, usually frigate or destroyer sized. Something that can swing whatever part of the battle it happens to be in in my favor rapidly and then move to the next part of the battle. Not a capital since those tend to be too slow and the battle revolves around them rather than going to where they're needed.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 08:43:13 AM »

Atlas mk II.  There is little as satisfying as catching a high flux/overloaded enemy capital with a full barrage of accelerated mjolnir rounds and the AI just doesn't have a clue how to do it right.  Even when they block with shields it's fun to watch the AI desperately decide between overloading and taking hits from one of the hardest hitting weapons in the game.

Sure, instantly destroying ships is great and all but I crave the satisfying thunder of pelting the enemy repeatedly and watching parts fly off him as I hold the trigger down.  IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BIG DAKKA, BOIS.  Hammerhead can do something similar on a smaller scale; anything with accelerated ammo feeders is happy fun time for me but with the exception of modded ships, the Atlas mk II is the only one that can do double mjolnirs with an accelerator, good firing arcs AND great convergence.  People malign it but I'm perfectly happy to put up with the headaches of the ship in exchange for hitting F and hearing that "fwumpfwumpfwumpfwumpfwumpfwumpBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM" as it jackhammers through armor and starts setting off hull explosions.  It's just so Ludddamned SATISFYING.

So yeah, I guess my preferred flagship role is "big dakka."

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 08:54:09 AM »

I'd like a full-on Paragon level of missile spamming capital. Even a supercapital.
There's basically no chance for a mod to add "full on Paragon levels of missile spam" from any mods that are even remotely attempting to present themselves as balanced.

The two ships closest to meeting such requirements from mainstream mods are both from Tahlan:
Spoiler
Traumtanzer: 2x Large Universals, 6x Medium Missiles, Autoforge hullmod, some medium guns.  Exploration reward.
Scathatch: 2x Large... Universals?  4-6x Medium Missiles (iirc), 1x Built in Large missile mount, Autoforge hullmod, a smattering of both large and small guns.  HVB Boss.
[close]
Both ships more expensive than the Paragon to field, and a big part of that is due to the overwhelming firepower all those missiles can easily bring to bear before considering any other weaponry.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 09:03:34 AM »

There's basically no chance for a mod to add "full on Paragon levels of missile spam" from any mods that are even remotely attempting to present themselves as balanced.

The two ships closest to meeting such requirements from mainstream mods are both from Tahlan:
Spoiler
Traumtanzer: 2x Large Universals, 6x Medium Missiles, Autoforge hullmod, some medium guns.  Exploration reward.
Scathatch: 2x Large... Universals?  4-6x Medium Missiles (iirc), 1x Built in Large missile mount, Autoforge hullmod, a smattering of both large and small guns.  HVB Boss.
[close]
Both ships more expensive than the Paragon to field, and a big part of that is due to the overwhelming firepower all those missiles can easily bring to bear before considering any other weaponry.
Hells, I'm not sure those would cost less even without the auto forge!

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 09:12:00 AM »

Whatever is the most powerful ship in my fleet typically. Tempest, Hammerhead, Fury, Champion, Conquest.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »

Spoiler
[close]
Hells, I'm not sure those would cost less even without the auto forge!

Glue 2-3 Atlas MK IIs together. By the dawn's early light, there will be nothing left to be seen!

Zakaluka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 09:18:50 AM »

I use a tempest because they're fast; they can punch above their weight solo, and even turn the tide of a larger engagement among cruiser sized ships. I keep a pair of them with command center s-modded in, because I don't know if this is considered a thing generally, but for me command points seem really necessary.

I also frequently use it to stall; I mean, if I've got 2 battleships targeting my 8-point frigate by itself, I won't be able to kill them but that removes pressure from the fleet.

A hyperion would probably do all the above things even better, but, I really don't like its penalties.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 09:22:04 AM by Zakaluka »
Pages: [1] 2