Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Been awhile, early game fleet comp. question  (Read 1202 times)

gtgiygus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Been awhile, early game fleet comp. question
« on: June 25, 2021, 08:37:48 PM »

Been a long time since I played, trying the newest update now.  I decided I want to try being a smuggler, at least in the beginning.  A few questions popped up and I figured it would be quicker to ask here instead of digging around a wiki by myself...

1)  I had read something about the new "quest line" like missions you can get in bars.  The one about placing a satellite in orbit undetected seems like the one to start with for sneak thief roleplay, correct?  Also, if I pick one of the other types by mistake, I think the missions you get change?

2)  I am also looking for fleet composition suggestions.  Again, smuggler wise, low sensor profile and cargo space are needed, but I am not sure which combat freighter is considered good.  Any ideas?

I do know of hull mods that decrease sensor profile, and I think you can add shielded cargo holds yourself?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Been awhile, early game fleet comp. question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 11:35:32 PM »

The quest line is at Galatia, bars merely point you towards it if you've missed it yourself.

Bar quests don't change depending on which you do more often, it remains random. But if you do a mission, the person who gave it might become a "personal contact", who will keep giving missions of that general type every time you visit. If you want to be a smuggler, look for underground contacts. There are a few dedicated smuggling bar missions they give, and "underworld bounties" are also offered by smugglers, even if it doesn't sound like that. Spy satellite missions are usually military contacts, but there's an underground variant too. Check if the quest giver is a pirate or not.

For keeping low profile, sensors skill is very important. It dramatically reduces the burn penalty for going dark. Having any phase ships in your fleet reduces your overall profile, and the ships themselves add 0. There are even phase troop transports and freighters now, but they are very hard to find. Your best bet is your friendly underworld contact offering you a couple for triple price.

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Been awhile, early game fleet comp. question
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 08:18:23 AM »

If you want to keep a low profile and ever encounter a revenant, keep it! This is the ship you're asking for. It carries fuel and cargo. Keep this in mind while calculating it's value. One Revenant can carry enough to fuel and supply 2 Capitals through almost the complete sector and a few Battles.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 08:26:07 AM by Kohlenstoff »