Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Noob needs help with ammo  (Read 2191 times)

burningserenity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Noob needs help with ammo
« on: June 21, 2021, 07:38:09 AM »

How do I replenish ammo for weapons with limited ammo? Do I have to buy a whole new weapon?

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Noob needs help with ammo
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 07:39:29 AM »

They'll replenish automatically after finishing a battle. No need to buy ammo separately or replace things entirely.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 07:39:50 AM »

The replenish as soon as the battle ends, just not in battle conditions.

Except the ones that say they regain ammo, of course.

burningserenity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 08:44:12 AM »

Thank you for the answers. Sometimes it seems like missiles replenish ammo and sometimes it seems like they do not. Maybe it's just me.

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 09:01:40 AM »

Look at the bottom of the weapon info, it'll say if they reload and how much they reload. For missiles specifically, pretty certain the only missiles that regain ammo during a fight are pilums, in vanilla at least.

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »

For missiles specifically, pretty certain the only missiles that regain ammo during a fight are pilums, in vanilla at least.

...and Salamanders.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

DaLagga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 09:35:48 AM »

Thank you for the answers. Sometimes it seems like missiles replenish ammo and sometimes it seems like they do not. Maybe it's just me.

Most missiles will only replenish after a battle is completely over.  If you finish a fight and then decide to pursue the enemy, your missiles won't have restocked because it's technically all part of the same battle.  As others have said, Pilums and Salamanders do replenish during a battle and are effectively infinite. 

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 01:13:59 PM »

Also, if CR is too low (like 40ish and below), you might not enter battle with all your missiles. Same thing can happen if you fight a battle, use all your missiles, then fight another battle immediately after. (like pursuit/being pursued, or if they decide to fight you after retreating without returning to the campaign map.)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 02:49:17 AM »

A slight grammatical annoyance:
A newb is someone who doesn't know what they're doing due to unfamiliarity. As such it is merely a descriptor of ignorance, not an insult.
A noob, however, is someone who doesn't know what they're doing due to a refusal to learn. As such, it is both a descriptor of ignorance and an insult.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 02:55:19 AM »

A newb is someone who doesn't know what they're doing due to unfamiliarity. As such it is merely a descriptor of ignorance, not an insult.
A noob, however, is someone who doesn't know what they're doing due to a refusal to learn. As such, it is both a descriptor of ignorance and an insult.
Due to the very similar pronunciation most people just merge those two meanings into one and just type "noob" for every situation. I've seen it used plenty of times without it being perceived as an insult. Meanwhile I barely see anyone use the term "newb" anymore. Still good that you explained it, it's useful to know the difference.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Killian

• Commander
  • I got 99 problems but a core breach ain't one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 05:44:50 AM »

Due to the very similar pronunciation most people just merge those two meanings into one and just type "noob" for every situation. I've seen it used plenty of times without it being perceived as an insult. Meanwhile I barely see anyone use the term "newb" anymore. Still good that you explained it, it's useful to know the difference.

It's almost like language is constantly evolving. ;)

Back to the topic at hand. Something else to keep in mind; stations tend to have missile autoforges which allow them to replenish the ammo for their missile systems. Whilst they don't (usually) have many missiles mounted, those they do have can keep firing indefinitely.

Certain (rare) ships may also have similar systems, though these tend to generate a lot of flux whilst operating and run rather slowly.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 06:31:36 AM »

Certain (rare) ships may also have similar systems, though these tend to generate a lot of flux whilst operating and run rather slowly.
Or in the Gryphon's case, once.

burningserenity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 01:59:16 PM »

Thank you! Learned something new today.