Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: QOL: Extremely bright screen on ship destruction.  (Read 1755 times)

Klokinator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
QOL: Extremely bright screen on ship destruction.
« on: June 22, 2021, 12:27:05 AM »

When blowing up ships during a battle, I have this weird issue where every single non-fighter ship causes the entire screen to flash stupidly bright white when destroying them. In past versions, I remember blowing up a MEGA freighter or a BIG space station would cause like a big flash of light. You know, because they're frigging huge and it's a big moment.

But now it's like... oh I just blew up three rinky dinky little Hounds. Guess I can't see my screen for three seconds. Oh, and there went five more enemy ships. Guess I'm just going to have to sit here and wait until I can see my screen again.

Is there a way to modify when the screen flashes? I don't mind if blowing up a capital ship, mine or the enmy's, causes a flash. I do mind, however, if every single no-name skipper melting under a volley of gunfire blinds me in a dying blaze of glory.

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: QOL: Extremely bright screen on ship destruction.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 01:38:06 AM »

You can remove the ship destruction screen whiteout effect by going into \starsector-core\data\config\settings.json and set ""enableShipExplosionWhiteout" to "false".

Klokinator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 01:45:09 AM »

I do like it when it happens to really big ships. If the effect was also more muted in general (it's useful as an indications things are dying) then that would also be acceptable. Completely removing it feels like a bandaid solution... but I guess I'll just go with that, then.

Thanks.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 04:13:51 AM »

I do think it does need to be toned down slightly. It shouldn't cover the UI at all for sure, even if it's just momentary.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 09:23:20 AM »

The white flash always happens when you blow up destroyers or bigger ships. You might not remember it happening previously, because you played with GraphicsLib mod.

Klokinator

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 05:56:02 PM »

The white flash always happens when you blow up destroyers or bigger ships. You might not remember it happening previously, because you played with GraphicsLib mod.
Aha, that might be why. Does GraphicsLib tone down those visual effects?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 06:13:18 PM »

following 4 answer
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 06:46:08 PM »

I guess everyone views it differently -- for me, even without the screen whiteout, the glow around a destroyed ship takes too long to go away. It basically obscures any missiles, fighters, etc. that are nearby, making it hard to know if I can vent safely, for example. If I could change it I'd make the glow last half a second, one second at most; I already know if a ship died by the messages at the upper left corner, and if it's an important ship like a capital, chances are I was already focusing on it in the first place.

For me I tend to prefer the UI be informational (i.e. helping me understand how the battle is going) as opposed to immersive (i.e. making it look pretty). Hence the afterglow is a distraction more than anything else for me. (I also play on a potato that can't handle fancy graphics.)

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 08:55:25 PM »

Aha, that might be why. Does GraphicsLib tone down those visual effects?

It does, while making the explosions look better.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$