Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Colony Fleet Strength? Stop Stealing my AI cores!!  (Read 3612 times)

Reapernox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Colony Fleet Strength? Stop Stealing my AI cores!!
« on: June 19, 2021, 08:33:48 PM »

I am somewhat new to starsector can someone explain to me how/ what i need to do to increase the strength of my own colony fleets? every playthrough i have done. no matter what i seem to do hegemony always seem to steal my ai cores. i dont care about the gammas all that much but the more rare alphas. *** me off. How do i make a strong enough base/colony fleet in my system to combat this?

i need to note that my stability on the planet is 10.
ANd the battlestation always has a alpha AI core. which makes it "stronger"
also i have a few mods one of which give me access to the AI battlestation. (maybe this is my issue?)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 08:43:08 PM by Reapernox »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Fleet Strength? Stop Stealing my AI cores!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 09:58:40 PM »

Do your colonies have Military Bases or High Commands?
And are you sure you remembered each time to switch from complying in the inspection to resisting (assuming you aren't hostile with Hege yet)?

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 03:12:09 AM »

Inspection fleets are the toughest type of expedition fleet, I believe. Three large fleets full of heavies and troop transports. You need to stack all the possible defenses including the planetary shield if you want a chance of fighting them off regularly. They will easily overrun a star fortress, alpha core or not.

I think the AI Battlestation is actually weaker than a Star Fortress of the other tech lines, its advantage is that you can build it up much quicker. Neither is going to stop an inspection fleet but it might put a dent in it.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 03:28:24 AM »

Multiple colonies within the same system with Fleet Commands all add to the defense, IIRC, so you're not limited to just the defense that Colony X can put out.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 07:42:15 AM »

Typically once an inspection has a completely valid goal, kick off the 3rd AI war.

Deal with the inspection personally, then sunder the core worlds.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 07:52:42 AM »

I'm not sure if any of my planets has ever successfully defended against an inspection on its own.
For the most part I don't use AI cores in colonies until my own fleet is strong enough to significantly weaken or completely destroy anything the other factions send my way.

Killian

• Commander
  • I got 99 problems but a core breach ain't one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 10:57:17 AM »

Multiple colonies within the same system with Fleet Commands all add to the defense, IIRC, so you're not limited to just the defense that Colony X can put out.

They shouldn't even need full Fleet Commands - Patrol Bases will help too. Similarly if you're using Industrial Evolution, then Military Relays will do the trick too.

Now, for minmaxing Fleet Strength-
First, you'll need a Very Hot world (so lava type, probably, or I believe you can use an orbital lamp to make a hot world very hot?). This will be where you put your Fleet Command, with a Cryoarithmetic Engine.
Second, you'll need basically any world for your Orbital Works, where you'll want a Nanoforge - at least Corrupted, preferably Pristine (you can raid one from the League or the Hegemony). This can be the same world as your Fleet HQ, but you'll probably be burning some cash on hazard pay to get that to grow.
Slap in the usual array of ground defenses, planetary shields, and cores, then - most importantly! - remember to set your defenders to resist. Don't be the guy who leaves them on comply and wonders why the orange gits stole all your cores.

Alpha Cores in the Orbital Works and Fleet HQ (and, well, everything else) will beef up their odds of survival. If you're like me and running Terraforming & Station Construction, throwing down a trio of orbitals with military relays will also ensure that there's a massive swarm of defenders around your 'homeworld' at basically all times, and given the inspection fleets can get strung out by delays and hyperstorms, their odds of survival can be pretty slim;
Spoiler

(Though that's actually a Persean trade fleet, I think. Still, it gets the point across.)
[close]

Even without mods I'm sure you can get to the point where your colonies don't need constant babysitting to fend off AI inspections. It just might be a bit more challenging! But eventually you should hit a critical tipping point at which point they can't do anything serious to you. You'll have to pick a good system though.

Also, hang onto a couple of story points at all times - that way you can always use them as a 'get out of inspection' card by bribing the officials to look the other way. It's pocket change compared to what you can earn from missions/bounties, and it'll buy you a couple more years to get fully established before you reveal your fully operational battle station.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:11:06 AM by Arcalane »

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 11:23:21 AM »

I bribe the inspections. They come maybe once per cycle or so, so that this is not a Problem. Only problem with these is, that they tend to start Battles with Trade fleets. One time my Station desided to side with the Trade Fleet despite the fact, that im Friend of all involved Parties and the Inspection has been bribed anyways. It's remains continued the inspection afterwards and the result was still the satisfaction of all involved parties, for which i paid.

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 11:45:53 AM »

Typically once an inspection has a completely valid goal, kick off the 3rd AI war.

Deal with the inspection personally, then sunder the core worlds.

And hell, not even this is necessary. If you're on good terms with the Hege, and you leave your transponder off (and you aren't in [THE REDACTED SHIP]) you can hang out by your station, join the battle and not lose all that much rep.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 10:24:23 PM »

If you want a modded response, the Privateer Base of Industrial Evolution will spawn giant fleets from your planet and they will frequently run into attacking forces and obliterate them.

ElPresidente

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 04:07:37 AM »

I'm deeply dissapointed by the lack of negatives for AI cores and all the AI wankery.

Zakaluka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 04:52:42 AM »

nobody just posted the rules, so here goes.

military base: Produces the following patrol fleets:
Size 3: 1 light
Size 4: 2 light, 1 medium
Size 5: 2 light, 1 medium
Size 6: 3 light, 2 medium, 1 heavy

high command: Produces the following patrol fleets:
Size 3: 1 light, 1 medium, 1 heavy
Size 4: 2 light, 2 medium, 1 heavy
Size 5: 2 light, 2 medium, 1 heavy
Size 6: 3 light, 3 medium, 2 heavy

The Cryoarithmetic Engine can be installed into the Patrol HQ, Military Base, or High Command structure. Increases the size of the fleets launched by colony by 25% for hot worlds and 100% for extreme heat worlds.
The Pristine Nanoforge can be installed into the Heavy Industry and Orbital Works industries. Increases the ship quality of all their faction's fleets by 50%.

------
So the max optimized seems to be:
- One of the worlds in your system is extreme heat, that's where you place your military.
- Upgrade to high command
- install a cryo engine
- Grow it to size 6
- Your heavy industry colony has some kind of nanoforge installed & upgraded to orbital works (for the quality bonus)
- Convert your "extra" fleet quality over 100% to bonus fleet size instead; using the faction doctrine (hit "d" and I think it's 4th tab)

You don't have to do ALL these things, they multiply, so, just whatever you have access to.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 04:59:07 AM by Zakaluka »

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 06:09:31 AM »

Even with 3 maxed out planets (special items, max size and stuff) having high command in a system hegemony is able to steal my cores, so i dont think that anything besides killing their fleets on your own is a solution. That's pretty annoying cause we're unable to steal them back while farming time can be pretty hard (i use full alpha on planets).
Pages: [1] 2