Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Haven't seen a single very high importance contact in 100+ hours of play  (Read 4203 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile

...And the only high improtance ones were underworld and story-related.

Can we please either make it less random or make medium contacts less damn useless? Even with 25 rep + priority they offer nothing good ever.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 05:12:03 PM by Amoebka »

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Does it matter at all?
As long as you prioritize contact, a medium is good enough to consistently yield 4 missions every time you visit, given you have built high enough personal relation.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't seen a single high importance contact in 100+ hours of play
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 05:29:42 PM »

Maybe you know some parts of this, but i tell it anyways just to be sure.

You need to do Bar missions of the desired kinds to get the desired contacts. The contacts accumulate pretty fast, if you rely on money from bar missions. Keep the high contacts from story mode and have only one of the contacts as priority (optimum is one with with 2 properties (Trade, Millitary)). This one contact will provide you with enough to be worth a frequent visit. One of the story contacts is of really high value, even if it does not seem to be so. But whatever. Even the medium contacts come close to the high ones. The difference is not too much.

When you got your own colonies, tryout their bars too. They make contacts much faster!

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I did get military and trade contacts of high importance prior to starting the main story line.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

You can often actually tell what missions could potentially give high/very high importance contacts before even accepting them because you know the name of the person offering the bar mission. Check that against the station personnel: if its a base commander at a large military world or an administrator, thats a potential high/very high importance contact. Every time I swing by a capital world I make sure to check the bar and see if any commanders are offering missions.

There is also flavor text on the bar missions giving some clue as to how important the person is.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

There is also flavor text on the bar missions giving some clue as to how important the person is.
lmao reading

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I have on this save file alone 20 (potential) contacts, of which 18 are medium and 2 are high. Both high are underworld bosses who wanted spaceports down - those are easy to spot. MOST mediums are station commanders, base officers or quartermasters, so I'm calling bull on that part. I intentionally only do bar missions which seem to be "important" - tactical bombardments, industry disruptions, bounties that seem hard (even then, the guy who gave me the derelict bountry turned out to be medium).

Mediums with priority aren't even remotely the same as high. The "4 missions" they offer are always low quality. High on priority does seem to have good stuff (capital ships offered, production with over a million limit, merc bounties). I can only imagine what very high is.

Point is, it should be less random and have a safeguard of some kind. If I did 10 bar missions and weren't offered a high value contact, the game should start gradually raising the probability until I do.

Undead

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

In my latest run in the end of the game I had 3 active high military contacts, one active very high trade, one active very high underworld, and 16 high potential contacts, most of which are military, not counting less important contacts most of which I delete. You must be doing something wrong (maybe try deleting garbage contacts)

Spoiler
I also have a harem of 10 female officers but thats a completely different story
[close]

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile

Maybe the problem is, that you think, important missions attract important contacts. Thats wrong. Another thing is, that you should discard contacts you dont want anyways. Otherwise the listed contacts slow down the gaining of new ones.

I did just the things, which were on my route or juiced up an exploration by being somwhat nearby. I did mostly Bounties or delivering missions. This is my current list. I have discarded any contacts except the priority one after half of the playtime i got now. There were about 5 high contacts, which i kicked out.

Try to do missions, which demand the meet of another contact. Extract missions or delivery missions of any kind. These have more than twice the chance for getting contacts.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 02:49:21 AM by Kohlenstoff »

Antichrist Hater

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Can you elaborate or maybe post a screenshot? I still haven't got a very high importance contact yet despite hours of bar missions.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile

You can get Very High importance contacts in vanilla by giving the [REDACTED] to Base Commanders since it guarantees a contact to be made. At least with the Hegemony and Path.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Antichrist Hater

• Ensign
    • View Profile

You can get Very High importance contacts in vanilla by giving the [REDACTED] to Base Commanders since it guarantees a contact to be made. At least with the Hegemony and Path.
Interesting. I'm going to try this when I unlock the skill.

Low Settings

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

You can get on if you give the
Spoiler
planet killer to the Luddic Path
[close]

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile

I'm currently playing my first 0.96 RC10 campaign, I'm playing with a High Tech ship only (minus logistic ships like Salvage Rigs or Tugs) style and without a commission, I've worked towards getting friendly with both Pirates and the Path and once my colony got strong enough to hold its own I've made enemies with Indipendents, Hegemony and the Persean League.

Despite all that, I've essentially managed to find high to very high contacts with most factions (I only picked Pathers and Pirates since they were most useful).

The problem I seem to gather from what you said Amoekba is that finding contacts is not as straightforward as you might think. The absolute best way to find them is to do missions for agents in any and all colonies. I have for example found my Very High Pirate contact in Echou Bres by doing a spysat mission, next thing I knew he offered up to a Million credits worth of "not so legal" nanoforge use, which I used to get an Odissey plus a plethora of Revenants and Phantoms to uh...do buisness with factions I'm not currently friendly with.

By Ludd, I actually got my Very High Luddic Path contact by just casually trading and chatting in the bar of a High Bounty Pather base I originally was going to to get the money, which had me abort the mission and develop the contract instead!

In short, it does not matter what you're doing at a planet, always check the local bars first, you'll never know if you strike gold!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 04:23:38 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Give ** to a station commander. The same ** you get from the special asteroid.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex
Pages: [1] 2