Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Of Ludd and Lions  (Read 31105 times)

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Of Ludd and Lions
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2022, 02:46:31 PM »

So, a question in light of the recent blog post.

Will this mod ignore how the vanilla game portrays the Lion Guard, or will the Diktat part of the mod be rebranded as some kind of subfaction where all the actual competent Sindrians are at?

Honestly, I don't know. The point of Ludd and Lions was to spice up the vanilla factions and now that Alex has taken note I'm somewhat happy to hand the mantle over to him.

The current temptation is to axe (some of) my ships to make way for Alex's versions, and depending on the specifics I might append my hullmod to his LG ships as a counter buff to his nerf.

envenger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2022, 08:13:55 PM »

Would love to still have this mod after the next update if you remove a few duplicates ships that get added and may be createa few variations to them.

Also the hammer class torpedoeshit like a truck. I used it in my redacted ship as well as dun scaiths.

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2022, 04:45:07 PM »

VERSION 2.0a!!!

Finally! A whole new version is now out in anticipation of Alex's "Uniquifying". See main post for update link! Content has been cut and if there's anything you absolutely cannot do without let me know and I might restore it.

Thoroughly save game incompatible with the previous version.

Thoughts and feedback welcome.

darkwarrior1000

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2022, 02:24:21 PM »

just a heads up about the pranker. it gets brought into fights all the time. I think the game registers it as a combat vessel instead of a simple tanker.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2022, 05:50:42 AM »

Content has been cut and if there's anything you absolutely cannot do without let me know and I might restore it.
The new showcase picture doesn't have a purple Xyphos in it, was it axed?

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2022, 09:02:35 AM »

just a heads up about the pranker. it gets brought into fights all the time. I think the game registers it as a combat vessel instead of a simple tanker.

Bad .csv, columns were unaligned, fix is up.

The new showcase picture doesn't have a purple Xyphos in it, was it axed?

I removed all fighters, turns out Starsector is very particular in naming in some areas and I was using workarounds to avoid crashes. I've got no issues adding it back in for you, and when I do, I'll do it the right way.

If there's any other ships you want back, let me know.

darkwarrior1000

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2023, 07:23:51 AM »

gust is outright broken. it has all the advantages of squall(save for effectiveness vs frigates) and none of the weaknesses. it has higher dps than squall since it splooges out missiles way faster. despite this, it has a nearly nonexistent refire delay. if you play this game at all you'll know damn well the AI will literally never drop their shield unless they're at nearly overloaded. as a result, gust is effectively an autowin button against anything cruiser/cap size or at/below enforcer speed. it also has the secondary effect of pushing medium sabots out of relevance. since the medium sabot refire delay is very high relative to gust, you'll always see gust and almost never sabot so it's not really filling a niche; just pushing out sabot from relevance.
speaking of refire delay, the medium hammer rack's refire delay is very low for the amount of ammo it has. medium missiles always have relatively high refire delays compared to their small counterparts because the medium missile slot is available to nearly everything under the sun and they don't suffer from the ammo limitations of their small counterparts. the medium hammer's refire delay should be at least a second or 2 longer because it already does more damage per shot compared to the medium reaper(4.5k vs 4k).
refire delays is also this way to balance against missile specialization because the skill halves refire delay. if the refire delay is already relatively low the skill makes it nearly nonexistent. base missile dps can't be too high because the game will nearly always assign an officer with missile specialization to these ships that can slot it medium missiles. as a result, what you get is double of what you see.

Great Wound

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2023, 10:06:47 AM »

gust is outright broken. it has all the advantages of squall(save for effectiveness vs frigates) and none of the weaknesses. it has higher dps than squall since it splooges out missiles way faster. despite this, it has a nearly nonexistent refire delay. if you play this game at all you'll know damn well the AI will literally never drop their shield unless they're at nearly overloaded. as a result, gust is effectively an autowin button against anything cruiser/cap size or at/below enforcer speed. it also has the secondary effect of pushing medium sabots out of relevance. since the medium sabot refire delay is very high relative to gust, you'll always see gust and almost never sabot so it's not really filling a niche; just pushing out sabot from relevance.
speaking of refire delay, the medium hammer rack's refire delay is very low for the amount of ammo it has. medium missiles always have relatively high refire delays compared to their small counterparts because the medium missile slot is available to nearly everything under the sun and they don't suffer from the ammo limitations of their small counterparts. the medium hammer's refire delay should be at least a second or 2 longer because it already does more damage per shot compared to the medium reaper(4.5k vs 4k).
refire delays is also this way to balance against missile specialization because the skill halves refire delay. if the refire delay is already relatively low the skill makes it nearly nonexistent. base missile dps can't be too high because the game will nearly always assign an officer with missile specialization to these ships that can slot it medium missiles. as a result, what you get is double of what you see.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try and address it.

I find Gust vs. Sabot is situational, DPS wise the Sabot has a slightly higher DPS (202 vs. 216). The sabot has a much higher burst making it more effective at overloading shields whereas the Gust is better at sustained pressure due to its shorter refire delay. The sabot also has much higher EMP (80 vs. 216) (the sabot also gets +25% chance of +200 per hit) while the gust has a higher hit strength giving them different roles on unshielded targets. The gust also has that tracking issues vs. Frigates/Destroyers but that was offset with damage potential/ammo count (12k vs. 15k). There is an issue with the AI using missiles in that they're much more liberal with the application of Gusts but I find that when they do use Sabots it's much more devastating - If you want a good example of the liberal use of Sabots check out the Gizzard which is set to use missiles like they're going out of fashion, the LG variant in particular is set to use a nasty combination of Atropos and Sabots by default.

You are right though, the Gust is strong, but it's situational if it's actually better than the Sabot, generally I find I'm using Sabots as general purpose missiles and Gusts on 'capital killers'. But don't panic, the gust is going to be nerfed! Alex has plans to nerf the Squall and the Gust uses the same warhead so when he updates the Squall it will automatically carry-over.

As for the Hammer, I'll take a look, the large hammer has a cooldown of 5.45 seconds and the small (double) has a cooldown of 1 second. The medium sits at 3.5, which I considered a happy medium, I'll probably bump it up to 4 but I can't really go higher than that.

How did you feel about the Atropos Pod, you seem to have an idea of how you want missiles to feel and I hope I've satisfied there.

darkwarrior1000

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2023, 12:56:01 AM »

Small missiles get to have nonexistent cooldowns because making use of said cooldowns requires a significant degree of investment either via expanded missile racks, a comparatively expensive mod, or through missile expertise which, in the player's case, is an investment requiring 5 skill points(significantly more if you plan to get both it and systems expertise). This is the general rule for all small missiles with very small ammo pools. That's why small harpoons and sabots get to shoot with little to no delay. As a corollary, breach missiles see no change in refire delay between small and medium mounts because there is no significant limit on the ammo of small breach missiles. Not only does the medium hammer rack have a good bit of ammo, it doesn't suffer any of the ergonomic issues of its large counterpart like the wide missile spread. The spread of the medium rack is comparatively tight. It stands to reason then that the medium hammer rack must have a refire delay equal to or greater than its large counterpart.
The medium atropos is fine where it is.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 02:12:31 PM by darkwarrior1000 »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]