Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: AI's missile use is broken  (Read 544 times)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
AI's missile use is broken
« on: June 16, 2021, 07:14:06 AM »

As mentioned in the Misc Modding Questions thread, I was having issue getting AI controlled ships to use their missiles effectively. I have just been able to replicate the issue on a clean install (barring console commands):

Fleet Doctrine: Reckless
Skills: [Weapon Drills, Coordinated Maneuvers, Crew Training], [Navigation, Gunner Implants, Electronic Warfare, Flux Regulation, Automated Ships]
Ship: Guardian
Loadout: Large Composite Hardpoints - Hammer Barrage, Medium Missile Hardpoints - Annihilator Rocket Pods
Weapon Groups: All on the same group, firing mode set to linked.
Sim Opponent: SIM Quirinus; Dominator, Heavy Rocket Cruiser

What happens is thus:
The Guardian fires an opening salvo of missiles.
~10 seconds later, the Guardian fires another single salvo.
~49 seconds later, the Guardian fires a third salvo.
~ 9 seconds later, the Guardian fires a final salvo of missiles.
The Guardian then never fires another shot, the enemy eventually dying to CP depletion (over 8 minutes after the last missile was fired).

During all this, the Guardian's weapons never go offline, nor does the Dominator ever escape weapon range.

Update: Removing the Hammer Barrages fixes it, as seemingly does setting auto-fire to Alternate. Removing the Annihilator Pods (leaving only the Barrages) exemplifies the issue, with the Guardian firing once on approach and then maybe once every couple of minutes.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI's missile use is broken
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:32:47 AM »

Thanks for the details! I'll take a look a bit later.

Moving this to Modded because the demo case is a custom loadout of the Guardian...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 11:10:51 AM »

(Checked into it, please see my response in the modding questions thread.)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 11:26:34 AM »

Huh. I'd thought that the probable case, but then it does occasionally fire, sometimes. Must just be a tiny sweet spot where both arcs overlap.

In any case, perhaps the AI should ignore one of the weapons if they don't share sufficient arc space? At least, if there's additional weapons in the weapon group.